Renting house for ryder cup - thoughts?

sinead01

we're thinking of renting our 2 bed townhouse for the ryder cup this year - would anyone have any ideas of pricing or have done it before, good/bad stories??
we are based in saggart so are really only about 15 mins drive away from it.

there wont be the massive amounts of money reported in some newspapers. might get a few grand which i assume you will be paying tax on ;) revenue are supposed be clamping down on people making money from it and not paying tax but i doubt they will have manpower to do much.

really , they will be taxing it? how will they find out though? we've been told we should be able to get about €7500. dont know if its worth the hassle now. have done a bit of research but haven't spoken to anyone tats actually done it.

i doubt anyone will get 7500 for a two bed for a week! they could stay in the four seasons and get a helicopter down for that!

theres houses advertised for 10k a week but if anybody gets that remains to be seen,i think most are chancing their arm.

not sure - we've enquired with rentmyirishhome.ie and tourrentals.ie and both said that amount? others are asking more!

do you have to pay to advertise on these sites? im sure you do,thr offical ryder cup travel agent offer all in deals for 1600euro for week without flights and includes guaranteed tickets and staying in jurys and being driven down every day.

bearishbull said:
i doubt anyone will get 7500 for a two bed for a week! they could stay in the four seasons and get a helicopter down for that!
Except that the Four Seasons & every other hotel in Leinster has been booked solid for many months now, or so I'm led to believe. And you can't get a helicoptor or limo for that weekend for love nor money.

RainyDay said:
Except that the Four Seasons & every other hotel in Leinster has been booked solid for many months now, or so I'm led to believe. And you can't get a helicoptor or limo for that weekend for love nor money.
thats irrelevant its was only for illustrative purposes re prices.theres plenty of those luxury coaches and taxi's public buses car hires etc available to drive down from dublin and elsewhere where theres plenty of luxury hotel accomdation for a fraction of the prices people are looking for in kildare.

well the way these rent your home websites are advertising is that people want to relax with a group of friends in self catering which is near to the ryder cup. not to spend a fortune on food in hotels, drink, etc. they compare prices of staying in a hotel and renting a home, basing it on a goup of 4 or more...

sinead01 said:
well the way these rent your home websites are advertising is that people want to relax with a group of friends in self catering which is near to the ryder cup. not to spend a fortune on food in hotels, drink, etc. they compare prices of staying in a hotel and renting a home, basing it on a goup of 4 or more...
people that would pay 10,000dollars for a week would not be concerned about spending a few grand on food and drink in restaurants.the hotels have been all booked out by travel agents who are selling packages at a much cheaper rate than many people are looking for for their homes.and also advertising your home for rent for large amounts on the internet is a good way to attract the revenues attention!!

Does anyone know anyone who has actually rented their place as of yet. I just cannot see why anyone would rent a house in Saggart (no offence Sinead) when they can get hotels in Dublin and travel up and down every day. In addition, the Ryder Cup does not actually attract that many people. The TV exposure will be huge, but physical attendance is not - an All Ireland quarter final would attract the same. I think there were only 15,000 tickets on sale for each day (I have won the tickets I was looking for in the lottery), there may be approx. the same again in corporate tickets, but I can't see corporate shin digs making do with a 2 bed in saggart/Leixlip/Celbridge...... Kilkenny....

Apperantly theres houses for rent as far as Athy Kildare, Naas ect. Many of the people expected to stay there are the likes of Tv Crew,reporters as well as people coming to watch the golf! I know an old neighbour of mine in Celbridge has rented his house out yet and although i dont know how much he is charging i know the cost covered tickets to the ryder cup for him and his wife plus expences!

bearishbull said:
thats irrelevant its was only for illustrative purposes re prices.theres plenty of those luxury coaches and taxi's public buses car hires etc available to drive down from dublin and elsewhere where theres plenty of luxury hotel accomdation for a fraction of the prices people are looking for in kildare.
There is NOT plenty of luxury accomodation available in Dublin for the Ryder Cup weekend. The Four Seasons is full. Every one of the 9 Jury/Doyle outlets is full.

While Ryder Cups in the US and the UK have attracted these kinds of rental levels, I really don't think we have the housing stock to compete at that level. Certainly a two-up two-down (again, no offense to anyone) is not what "rich American golf tourists" and so-called corporate types have in mind when they travel to a Ryder Cup. Michael Smurfit's place, maybe. A bog-standard semi-D? Don't think so.

RainyDay said:
There is NOT plenty of luxury accomodation available in Dublin for the Ryder Cup weekend. The Four Seasons is full. Every one of the 9 Jury/Doyle outlets is full.
actually there IS plenty of accomodation available through travel agents etc who have block booked for packages. not all hotels are booked out and if you consider the amount of hotel beds/B&B's in dublin /leinster i cant envisage a shortage at the end of september for the amount of people arriving for the ryder cup.

Sounds good, but I think I would need an absolutely disgusting, offensive amount of money to justify to myself doing this.....unless my house was already a rental property...purely personal opinion..

extopia said:
While Ryder Cups in the US and the UK have attracted these kinds of rental levels, I really don't think we have the housing stock to compete at that level. Certainly a two-up two-down (again, no offense to anyone) is not what "rich American golf tourists" and so-called corporate types have in mind when they travel to a Ryder Cup. Michael Smurfit's place, maybe. A bog-standard semi-D? Don't think so.

But do you not think they might consider it part of our quaint charm? :)

Janet said:
But do you not think they might consider it part of our quaint charm? :)
quaint charm is a traditional cottage with peat fire and thatched roof not urban sprawl in dublin commuter belt :p

Posted by Rainyday
Not true as regards all hotel accommodation, a quick check through various hotel websites shows that at least some are available to book online, all the others on the site I checked stated that you should ring to book - obviously I don't know that they actually have accommodation available or what the price is, but it appears there is some about.

Back