Questions relating to UK Bankruptcy

@dj30 - As far as I can tell he doesn't plan on me letting banks know at all ! All he told me to do is establish my comi and go to court in dec , presume he ll be in contact again nearer the time.
@ bronte - fee is £2350 ans I've made part payments of £900 so far. It's a large practice well advertised on net.

I've asked him about letting banks ect know 3 months in advance and his reply in writing was "no notice needs to be given to the bank-the court may adjourn your bankruptcy hearing however to put them on notice" .... Has anyone else out there proceeded like this?

I can only speak from my experience. Both Steve and the other solicitor made it very clear that it was important to do this. Is your guy in Ireland or the UK, and how many cases has he dealt with this way? Where are you based by the way? In some parts there is a 2 month wait from when you make the initial application to when you have the hearing, so maybe that's what your guy is thinking of. I don't think it is a great approach tho. Is he attempting to sell the property before you go bankrupt?

Solicitor is in uk and we re both in north west - when I asked him did he deal with a lot of cases he just said yeah and didn't elaborate. I think he is used to dealing with bigger cases and maybe he's afraid banks will try stop the petition. No he doesn't want me to sell apartment or do anything - just establish comi and go to court.

For the fee what was it agreed he would do? Do you pay the final fee on successful outcome?

One thing for sure, part of the reason Sean Quinn failed on his bankruptcy bid was because he did not inform the banks of his new address, and as far as I can recall this is now a core part of bankrutpcy applications succeeding.

Hi people, I'm now back from holiday. Jet lagged and hence on this forum at 5.

I am alarmed at the advice the OP is getting here. It is a fundamental principle of the EU insolvency regulations that your creditors are able to reasonably ascertain where you are.
It is for that reason I ask all my clients to simply send a change of address letter to all their creditors, half way through setting up their comi in the UK. If you do not so so the court may refuse the make the order on day 1, the creditor could appeal (Quinn) or the OR could make an application to set aside the order.

Ignore the advisor and write those simple letters. Do not worry, your creditors will not harass you.

Ha Ha, Hello Donyuan30

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Steve, I'm going to send those letters so. As for my solicitor, Steve could you advise if I can stop using him without penalty? I signed something in our first meeting(am ashamed to say i didnt read it) and still owe £1600 but as previously posted he never replies to me and his advice seems to be risky?

Thanks for the info Steve, I'm going to send those letters so. As for my solicitor, Steve could you advise if I can stop using him without penalty? I signed something in our first meeting(am ashamed to say i didnt read it) and still owe £1600 but as previously posted he never replies to me and his advice seems to be risky?

It depends on your agreement. You could say that you have no faith in his advice and intend to walk away at this stage. As you are going bankrupt, he won't sue, what would be the point.

Steve Thatcher

Can someone give me a rough price for say an hour or so consultaion with an advisor in the UK, just to dot the i's and cross the t's. Also, will this suffice or will I have to sign up to a full package?

Can someone give me a rough price for say an hour or so consultaion with an advisor in the UK, just to dot the i's and cross the t's. Also, will this suffice or will I have to sign up to a full package?

I come over to Dublin once a week and charge €250 for a hours consultation, where you learn all you want about the process here in the UK. There is no further commitment

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Hi,
I'm just going through the bankruptcy forms but there are two questions which worry me and probably a few other people out there.

1. They ask for previous employers details: does the receiver ever contact them? I left a year ago but as I was in a profession and still have friends there I really wouldn't want them knowing as it would definitely effect my career.

2. They ask for current landlords details-again do they contact them? Am afraid they would not take it well and we could be asked to leave?

1. Not in my experience. The OR asked for some details about my previous employment when I had the call with her, but didnt go into any great detail with her questions and didn't contact them. She wanted to know what they did, what I did there, and what salary I earned - that was it. I think they will be more concerned about what you're working at now in the UK. Even at that, they didn't contact my current employer, so I would guess that once everything stacks up and you give the OR sufficient proof of your employment in the UK they will not contact anyone looking for more information.

2. Not sure, but mine hasn't said anything about it if they were contacted. As long as you have bneen a good tenant I see no reason why they would revoke your tenancy. Check your lease - mine didnt actually say anything about it. The OR will leave you with enough money to pay the rent, etc each month, so can't see what the landlord has to lose by keeping you on.

It depends on your agreement. You could say that you have no faith in his advice and intend to walk away at this stage. As you are going bankrupt, he won't sue, what would be the point.

Steve Thatcher

Hi Steve

If one were to relocate from Ireland to the UK and declare himself bankrupt, how soon after could one relocate to another country in the EU (not Ireland) ? Is there a minimum amount of time one needs to spend in the UK after the order is made?

NM

Hi Steve

If one were to relocate from Ireland to the UK and declare himself bankrupt, how soon after could one relocate to another country in the EU (not Ireland) ? Is there a minimum amount of time one needs to spend in the UK after the order is made?

NM

No there is no minimum amount of time. You should stay for as long as the OR needs you. That may change from case to case. In the North, I think they expect you to grind out the whole year. In Eng and Wales, there seems to be no such problem with going back to Ireland at any time. Expect to stay at least four months after.

Steve Thatcher

No there is no minimum amount of time. You should stay for as long as the OR needs you. That may change from case to case. In the North, I think they expect you to grind out the whole year. In Eng and Wales, there seems to be no such problem with going back to Ireland at any time. Expect to stay at least four months after.

Steve Thatcher

Thank you Steve :)

1. Not in my experience. The OR asked for some details about my previous employment when I had the call with her, but didnt go into any great detail with her questions and didn't contact them.

Hi Don Juan

After the order was made, how did your interview with the OR go? What kind of questions did she ask?

Thanks

NM

Back