Quarry Road, Cabra

cerebral

Hi Everyone,

Congrats to all you have received offers this week. Anybody have any thoughts on this new development? I have received a letter stating the "affordable price" is 250-300, would anyone know what the market value is?

Thanks.

It said that on my AH newsletter for a different development, and it turned out to be 290....so expect the higher!!

Recently got offered an apartment in Quarry Road. However i later found out that out of the 70 apartments available 25 of them are going to be social housing under the RAS scheme. Rang DCC and they were very reluctant to give out any information about them. I would be very wary before you committ to buy them.

This could happen anywhere. Many private landlords have bought plenty of apartments (especially Section 23) around the city and are renting out apartments.
The RAS Scheme makes it even easier for landlords as they have a contract to private rental accommodation to Dublin City Council for a number of years.
The bonus for private landlord is they have a guaranteed tenant without the need to rely on letting agencies. etc.
The Council rent these out to people who are waiting for social housing.
In my opinion the Council/Government would get better value by building more social housing instead of paying large rent to wealthy/greedy landlord.

I received an offer for Quarry Road too but having trouble finding any information on these apartments. Does anyone know what the market value of these apartments is for example. Looks like I'll be in the dark til I get to view them. Gonna see if I can take a sneaky peak over weekend.

Hi, Has anyone heard anymore on the affordable units in Cabra Road. I was offered a two bed and supposed to be viewing in the coming weeks. Looking at the city councils brochure it appears 45 of the units are being offered as affordable units. Anymore info. on this- good or bad!

I was offered a two bed also but have heard nothing for the last two and a half months. I kne things would move slowly but this is ridiculous.

You've got more out of them then i have. I got offered an apt back in June and still waiting to view them. Its madness, but I suppose I'm lucky I was offered at all. I was told sometime next week for viewing but not holding my breath.

Yeh I have an appointment on Tuesday morn to look at the Quarry Road apartments. Its cloak and dagger with the Belmayne ones too. They are having some problem with pricing and apartment numbers after people have given deposits, held apartments etc. Its a bit unorganised really. There is no reason why they should be with-holding info. It's just not on.

These apartments do seem a nice size and have ample storage space, however no lifts - so definately not for families, old people etc.
Apparently the market value of these apartments according to the agents is €350,000.00
Anyone any comments on this. The affordable prices seem to range from €253,000-€285,000
Is this the correct market value in a downturning housing market?

All kitchen appliances included - washing machine, dishwasher, cooker,hob. All tiling in bathrooms and kitchens also and walls painted but you will have to fess up for flooring which is pretty good really.

I had my apt valued up in Royal canal last week (not far from quarry) and it came in at 345,000 so i'd say the market value is correct.

Its probably based on the fact that its so near city centre and really good public transport.

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there will be any work done on the small strip of buildings at the entrance to these apartments? I'm not even sure if they are occupied but any info on them much appreciated ;-)

I'm kinda glad its being used for affordable/housing schemes. At least then you know that the people in them will be living in them for some length of time as a home rather than an investor purchasing units and renting them out to different people every few months who have not a care about where they live as its temporary.

i also viewed one of those apts on Monday and was surprised by the size i expected them to be much smaller. i'm glad i did not go for the 1st floor apt as i was told there were lifts and i have a 15 month old baby!

i think i was one of the first people to view and i don't think the estate agents knew much about the apts so i got the builder to bring me across and show me inside my exact apt. i'm happy now but do agree that it may be difficult in the future to sell as i think 21 apts are social.

does anybody recommend a solicitor one who has dealt with AH before?

i was in two minds last week whether to go with the AH or wait and see could i buy myself as there are two bed houses (need a good bit of work done) in Cabra going for €295k and may go down again after xmas.

The whole market value thing was putting me off and the fact if i wanted to sell i could be paying back a large amount to DCC not to mention they would be hard to sell.

you have me thinking again now if it is a good idea to take the apt as alot of things can change in 5 years.

i think my apt is 70.3 sq meters. they say you have 28 days to get your deposit back

Hi Sinead,

I would imagine the estate agents you spoke to are just keen to get you to buy private with them!!! Old council houses in a good location will always sell.

Cabra is a mature well developed area that will only get better. The fact that there are few apartment blocks like this one in the area means when you do come to sell affordable/social/private won't make a difference.

i think cerebral maybe right Cabra is a sought after area and is up and coming. there is also the new development of a university in grangegorman two minutes down the road so i can see apts in the area being snapped up in a few years by investors looking to rent to students!

either way if you buy privately or through the affordable housing you are taking a gamble. At least with the affordable housing you will never go into negative equity!!

I decided to go ahead and buy here, just waiting for my formal loan approval. Anyone know how long it'll be before all is finished on the ole building site? It didn't look to be long the last time I was there.

Back