Presidential Election

Run up a massive expenses bill at your local hostelry!
Nice idea, but 'massive expenses bill' and 'Labour Party' don't really go together.
Send a thank you card to SF headquarters!
Or maybe I should send them a little parcel.
Finlay's not the worst but I think he might have ended up like Gay Mitchell, a decent politician but a poor candidate for President.

True, which probably raises some broader questions about the political process and what we can do to get the best candidates on board.

For the candidates that get over a quarter of a quota, they get €200k 'reimbursed'. I am guessing that where a candidate is put forward by a party, the money goes back to party coffers? What happens for independents as I would have thought that much of their funding comes from small donations to the campaign rather than a €200k plus outlay by the candidate?

Good day for Labour - we're not really used to being on the winning team. What does one do when one wins?

Just maintain your usual air of non-judgemental humility.
That one think I’ll say for Labour; they never come across as holier-than-thou. :rolleyes:

Listening to Michael thanking the million or so voter after returning triumphant to Rome, sorry Galway last night, the myth of this election is already being spun. A considerable percentage of his vote was a negative one to prevent other worse candidates getting elected, or because there was such poor choice on offer overall.

He was the best of the worst. Don't doubt he is a decent skin, but lets not kid ourselves he was the people's real choice. FF and SF were winners of a kind. For FF, a combination of the Presidental election and the Dublin West by-election shows the brand isn't quite as toxic, and there is a glimmer of hope. For SF they were kingmakers, a party on the way up.

The Mitchell vote shows that the so called "loyal FG" is minimal. The people hammered FF at the last election by voting for all and any of the others. FG has shown its arrogance since particularly in its response to any critics of the Oireachtas referendum issue.

Sinn Fein really did not advance on the last election and again benefitted from a protest vote. Labour did well winning both elections and dont seemed to be tarred with the FG link.
FF could only improve from rock bottom. Despite no TD in Dublin they are not finished yet. But it will have to be new faces that are put forward. Any of the old brigade have too many questions to answer

The Irish People are becoming much less tolerant with "stroke" politics. The tolerance lasted when the economy was in a good state. The Dont-Fix-It-if it's-not Broken syndrome reigned. People had jobs and the only people leaving the country were Gap Year Merchants who thought they would never see a poor day in Ireland and a job would be waiting for them on their return.

But, things have changed and it appears the Irish People are learning slowly but surely that the Old Regime is finished and good riddance.

In reality, we had not much of a choice in the Presidential election, but we had a choice of sorts and the people took it. The side shows reflected that the People thought things out also.

Let's hope all the party leaders will wake up and smell the coffee and do what they were elected to do.

Listening to Michael thanking the million or so voter after returning triumphant to Rome, sorry Galway last night, the myth of this election is already being spun. A considerable percentage of his vote was a negative one to prevent other worse candidates getting elected, or because there was such poor choice on offer overall.

He was the best of the worst. Don't doubt he is a decent skin, but lets not kid ourselves he was the people's real choice. FF and SF were winners of a kind. For FF, a combination of the Presidental election and the Dublin West by-election shows the brand isn't quite as toxic, and there is a glimmer of hope. For SF they were kingmakers, a party on the way up.

That's just rubbish, you can only beat the people you're up against.

Putting in the whatifs and the maybes is a pointless exercise, we weren't dealing in a hypothetical election where you could write in someone's name.

I don't think the Shinners can take too much out of the elections, they barely increased their vote and failed miserably in the bye-election. Their use of bussed-in canvassers who look like bouncers calling to peoples houses and telling them they were voting for MMG will have woken a lot of people up to their bully-boy tactics.

Congratulations, Michael D. An understated and honest campaign.
Congratulations, Michael D. A reigned-in and slip-free campaign. Probably the safest choice of the field; but then I'm a bit ageist as I think the roll should be restricted to OAPs.

Congratulations, Michael D. A reigned-in and slip-free campaign. Probably the safest choice of the field; but then I'm a bit ageist as I think the roll should be restricted to OAPs.

I think that's about right.
I do think the media gave him a very easy ride. No questions about the amount of money that was channelled into his constituency when he was minister for Galway, sorry; minister for Arts, tourism and Galway

The think that stands out about the campaign for me is just how devious and underhand Sinn Fein are. The ambush of Gallagher on the front line was a well organised lie. The tweet was fictitious and I don’t think anyone believes that McGuiness didn’t know it would be sent after he made his comments.

I think that's about right.
I do think the media gave him a very easy ride. No questions about the amount of money that was channelled into his constituency when he was minister for Galway, sorry; minister for Arts, tourism and Galway

He was good for Galway but interestingly he was born in Limerick and grew up in Clare. O'Cuiv is really the man who is seen to have channelled a lot of money into Galway and expecially the Gaelteacht.

The think that stands out about the campaign for me is just how devious and underhand Sinn Fein are. The ambush of Gallagher on the front line was a well organised lie. The tweet was fictitious and I don’t think anyone believes that McGuiness didn’t know it would be sent after he made his comments.

+1

This was a shot across the bow of FF. SF were never going to win this but by entering they are chipping away at FF and in the process de-sanitising their image...trying to make it not such a big deal to vote for them. Their top brass are certainly coming across a lot better in recent years, but you only have to delve an inch or two below the surface to see a clearer picture of who they are. Someone recently said they would not rule out a FF/SF alliance in the future and this could (unfortunately) be the case.

Pat Kenny has some serious questions to answer on this.

For the candidates that get over a quarter of a quota, they get €200k 'reimbursed'. I am guessing that where a candidate is put forward by a party, the money goes back to party coffers? What happens for independents as I would have thought that much of their funding comes from small donations to the campaign rather than a €200k plus outlay by the candidate?

There was a story over the weekend that FG took out a mortgage on their offices to fund the campaign, safe in the knowledge that they'd get it reimburrsed. Ooops, they got that one wrong!! :D

Back