Presidential Election

I'm calling it now for Michael D, based on the general tally reports from round the country, showing him either well ahead or neck-and-neck with Gallagher. This report from Gallagher's home town is particularly telling. " With all seven boxes tallied in Sean Gallagher's home town of Blackrock in Louth the predictions are that Michael D Higgins is beating him 2:1." http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1028/vote_tracker.html

I'm calling it now for Michael D,

It was the Shinners wot won it for you. ;)

Definitely Michael D's. As high as 40% in some early tallies. McGuinnes challenging Gallagher for 2nd spot in some areas. Mitchell doesn't seem to be showing at all.

I'm calling it now for Michael D, based on the general tally reports from round the country, showing him either well ahead or neck-and-neck with Gallagher. This report from Gallagher's home town is particularly telling. " With all seven boxes tallied in Sean Gallagher's home town of Blackrock in Louth the predictions are that Michael D Higgins is beating him 2:1." http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1028/vote_tracker.html

It was the turnout of 170% in Louth that impressed me :)

You are a week behind BoyleSports on that call.

It looks like the referendum on the Oireachtas might be in trouble and FG have had a poor showing in the by-election and the presidential election.
Is the honeymoon over for FG?

FG picked the worst possible candidate.

The govt used it's usual trick of running something important along with the election. "If in doubt, vote no."

And saved us a packet. Gallagher's pension on retirement would have been worth about €4m more than Michael D's. This was certainly the least worst outcome.

I find this post depressing.

By all means question the pension entitlements of the president, but it should not be the abiding criteria when choosing our head of state.

Could be a great day for Labour with Patrick Nulty performing well according to tallies in Dublin West as well as Michael D's strong showing to date , conversely FG are having a dreadful time in both elections.

By all means question the pension entitlements of the president, but it should not be the abiding criteria when choosing our head of state.

Depressingly it was my criteria. In a cost benefit analysis, I saw very little in terms of benefits from any of the 7 so it came down to a cost decision.

I find all the stuff about 'retirement homes' and 'no new ideals' to be quite offensive. Michael D's age has little to do with his ability to be creative and innovative. I see little creativity and innovation from many 20 year olds - Michael D would leave them in the shade.

Could be a great day for Labour with Patrick Nulty performing well according to tallies in Dublin West as well as Michael D's strong showing to date , conversely FG are having a dreadful time in both elections.
Indeed, though the results for both parties are pretty much the opposite of the general opinion poll readings for each. I wonder if this will lead to some rebalancing on general party preferences.

Depressing indeed. Not quite as spectacularly crass at the FF supporter on the radio during the week who suggested that we shouldn't vote for Michael D because of the probability that we'll have to pay for a State funeral. I wonder if Der Kaiser built this possibility into his cost benefit analysis.

It was the Shinners wot won it for you. ;)
Indeed, nice to see that Martin hasn't forgotten how to do an ambush. Though Gallagher just kept on digging in that hole. He should have turned on McGuinness and made the point that allegations about past involvement in FF fundraising pales in comparison to allegations about past involvement in murder and bombings.

Indeed, nice to see that Martin hasn't forgotten how to do an ambush. Though Gallagher just kept on digging in that hole. He should have turned on McGuinness and made the point that allegations about past involvement in FF fundraising pales in comparison to allegations about past involvement in murder and bombings.

Or pointed out that SF seemed to have plently of contacts withtax evading businessmen and dodgy builders (Priory Hall).

Mary Davis would know seeing as she is still a member until 10th of November.

I wonder if Der Kaiser built this possibility into his cost benefit analysis.

Yes, this was one of the first considerations, but there would be a lower than 15% chance of this and wouldn't there be a state funeral regardless of whether he died in office or afterwards?

Apologies if the humour is a little black, but I thought I'd get away with it at Halloween.

Back