Parkview, Stepaside

Status
Not open for further replies.

sukie

Has anyone got information about this development? It seems to be moving quite quickly now. Any completion date?

I bought in Parkview last year in the first phase - I think my apartment should be ready in late summer. I was very impressed with the quality of the apartments, spec, landscaping and pricing. I had looked at a few developments in the Sandyford area and none were half as impressive. Parkview is being built by Fleming Construction who have been big players in the Cork market and I think that as this is their first development in Dublin they will build it to the highest standards. One of the main reasons i bought in Parkview is that it will be within walking distance of the new LUAS when its completed in 2008. I think that easier access to town, Dundrum etc. will result in a big rise in values. Also the new village centre in Belarmine should push up values as well. It seems like a nice quiet area and Parkview seems to stand out a bit from other developments because the design is more modern and unit sizes are a lot bigger. I have a relative and a friend who have bought in ParkView and although I can't be sure, the majority of buyers seem to be owner-occupiers which is a good sign. Anyway, apartments seem to be selling very fast since they opened to show unit which is an encouraging sign for me. Anyway, obviously I'm a bit biased because I've bought there but I looked at a lot of other developments and Parkview was by far the most impressive and by far the best value.

is there a show apt at Hooke MacDonald in Baggott St. or just at the site. Do you think they will open it again for those who have already purchased to get another look?

According to Hooke MacDonald's website viewings are on Wednesday from 5-6.30pm. I presume this refers to the show unit on site. There was a model of the development in Baggot Street when i was buying. I only saw the show unit after I put down the deposit as it only opened with Phase 2.

Hey, we bought a 2 bed apt in October 2005. We were wondering when the completion date was as well as it doesnt give any of that info on their website. Has anyone been told? We have driven by the site a few times and cant figure out for the life us what block they are building at the moment.

Also, is a 3rd phase been launched? I have noticed on myhome.ie the prices for the extra large 1 bedroom apt have gone up from €290k-€320k so it seems to be going well :D

Has anyone else seen the sign for social and affordable housing that has gone up on the land adjacent to our site? I phoned the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council and was told that a public notice is being put in the paper next month. At the moment the plans are with the architects. They are planning on building 80-100 units - 50% social and 50% affordable housing - which are going to be a mixture of terrace and duplexes.

Has anyone else any information?

Well i bought in early summer 2005 and i was originally told the first completion would be in about june 2006 but judging by the site i reckon it will be late summer before the first block (the elm) is finished. The Elm is the one which they are building at the moment (but they seem to have started with the other block too). The Elm is closest to the road and imo the best block - lol.... I think the third phase was released quietly as prices have shot up again. Looks like i've already made a lot of money! And they still seem like good value.

I knew about the plans for the social/affordable housing before i bought but have to admit i was a bit annoyed when i saw that sign. But it doesn't seem to be a big development and when u look at what the council has planned for Blackglen road i'm glad i bought in Parkview and not some other developments. Also the entrance for the social/affordable units will be off enniskerry road so won't really affect Parkview too much.

Hey soutsideboy, thanks for posting back.

We have bought a 2 bed apt in the oak so we arent sure whether it will be ready by the end of the year or early next year... sure it allows for more saving I suppose.

Friends of ours are in the building trade and have heard that this development is going to be superb. They are all out to impress and by the looks of it so far they seem to be doing well. Lets hope it continues :)

By the way do u know where the 5 bay halting site is going to be? When I was on to the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council I asked and they said that it was further into the developments that are there at the moment and described it as where there was the "triangle" was. I didnt know where she was talking about though.

Where is the new village centre going to be?

Hey, well i'm glad somebody is as confused as I am! I bought a 2 bed apartment in the Elm on the launch day. I would think that the Oak will be completed before the end of this year as it seems to be progressing fairly fast. It can be confusing when I drive out there trying to figure out what is what but I would reckon that the Oak would be completely maybe two months after the Elm (maybe around October-December) Well, i got my solicitor to check out about the halting site and I was under the impression that it was going to be in the small triangular area between Parkview and the council site. If u have a look at the brochure for Parkview, on the back page there is the aerial photo. You can see a small green field which is bounded by the Parkview site (at Eniskerry Road). Anyway its beside the Willow block so it wouldnt really be near or visible from the Oak or the Elm! But I can't be 100% sure that this is definitely where its going because the people in the council aren't always that helpful in divulging information! As for the Village Centre, I thought that it was going to be opposite the Parkview where they are building at the moment i.e. on Belarmine Avenue. This seems like the only logical place to put a Village Centre as I doubt they would hide it away at the back of the development. But again I'm not entirely sure about this. I know that maybe we are just a bit biased but I definitely agree that this looks like its going to be a very impressive development. The plans for the landscaping looks very good as does the spec level of the apartments. I was really impressed by the show unit and as I've already said hopefully anybody who has bought there will see really big returns when the new LUAS line opens. If I found out any more information I'll post it on here (unless its bad news in which case I'll just keep quiet and hope nobody finds out!!!)

I am completely confused. I didnt realise that the halting site was going to be in that land as well as the 80/100 units for the affordable / social housing scheme. :confused:

When I asked the council they said that the 5 bay halting site was in a completely different site.

Hmmm...maybe they have changed the plan or something! Definitely when i checked about 6 months ago my solicitor said it was supposed to be going on that site. It would be unusual for a council to put a halting site in the middle of all the developments - usually halting sites are accessed from a main road.

U have any idea where u were told the halting site was going to be??

I'll probably get onto the council and see what I can find out! But i'm sure I'll just be as confused as u are! This may sound snobbish but it would definitely be better for the halting site to be accessed from Eniskerry Road than being accessed from Belarmine or in the middle of all the developments. Plus a five bay site is small and there are halting sites popping up everywhere so I doubt it would affect values.

Well I was more or less told it was going to be further into the centre of Aikens Village. Now I could be wrong but that's where I got the impression it was going to be because when i phoned they said it was no where near Parkview because all the land was being used for the affordable/social housing.:confused:

Im not been a snob either but in fairness if there is social housing and a 5 bay halting site smack bang beside Parkview im kinda thinking it might have an affect on the selling prices.

I just know that friends of mine live in a new development that is adjacent to a halting site and they are having massive problems with car theft and houses in the area been robbed all the time.

On the flip side there is a halting site on a main road near where I live and in the 15 years since it opened there have been no problems at all... I suppose its just a case of wait and see what happens.... still very frustrating not knowing what's going on though :(

Ok... I got on to Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council and they said that there is a 4 bay halting site proposed for the area. The site for the halting site is a small triangular area next to the housing site on the Parkview side. The site is fronted by a low stone wall and railings.

Looks like that site is going to be full of surprises... not happy at all :(

Hello

First time on here and delighted to see this forum on Park View.

We have bought a 2 bed in the The Oak and were initially told that it would be ready in Nov/Dec 2006 but in February we were told that completion date now is estimated at January 2007. Can't wait to move in, it's absolutely beautiful up there and the scenery and surrounding area is just fabulous. Only a short drive to that Powerscourt house thingy too which is great. The mountains there (Sugar Loaf?) are breath-taking.

Re the halting site - we only heard by chance of the site after we had paid the deposit. It is indeed the small triangular peice of land off the Enniskerry road in front of the Park View hoarding. We had many a second thought but decided that it will have little or no effect on Park View. I doubt very much that access to the halting site will be in through the road we will use to access Park View. I presume it will be directly from the road. I have been up a couple of times looking at progress and have often thought to myself how lucky I am to be moving into such a beautiful apartment in a beautiful area. There is really no reason why such a beautiful place cannot be enjoyed by travellers and people under various housing schemes. I reckon we should count our blessings and enjoy it. Btw, I bought for 395k in December 2005 and in Feb 2006, the same apartment in the next phase was 415k. 20k in 2 months....not bad eh?

What's this about the Luas in 2008 - where is it going to be? How far away? Also the village centre - what does that entail?

We had a pint in Stepaside a couple of Saturdays ago - nice pub and plenty of life about it.

Stepaside is great, close to City centre but it's like living in a completely different world at the same time.

One other point - new buildings will have to have an energy certificate from Jan 4th 2007 so if you are signing after that date, the builder is obliged to provide this certificate for you. It will state that the building is built to appropriate energy efficiency levels and will be necessary to have when selling in future. I have asked Hooke and McDonald to confirm that this will be provided. No reply yet (I emailed them on March 15th).

Anyway, roll on moving in day!

I agree Jonnyha, the area is lovely and its fairly unique given its close proximity to the centre of Dublin. As far as I know the nearest LUAS stop will be near Sandyford Hall and I think that foot paths and cycle lanes will be built to link Belarmine with the new LUAS so should be about at 10minute walk? As for the Village Centre, I've had loads of problems trying to get info on this...I think there will be the usual newsagents and pharmacy and a cafe, gym and a creche plus probably more. Can't be sure about this. I found a link somewhere on the internet which had this info but haven't been able to find it since! If anybody knows of the concrete plans for the Village Centre I'd love to know!

As for the concerns about the halting site, I agree, I was also concerned when I found out about it first but having looked at the plans it really doesn't bother me too much. Four bays is small and as long as the entrance is off Enniskerry Road it should not affect Parkview/Belarmine. I reckon my apartment should hopefully be ready in about September 2006 so not too long now! I'm really excited even though I'm sure I'll be living on a bit of a building site for a while. But to be honest prices have risen a lot since i bought and Parkview still seems competitively priced so I reckon capital appreciation will be very good so living on a building site for a few months isn't a big price to pay!

Hi all,

Bought in The Ash (second building to come on the market) after failing to secure apartment I wanted in The Elm (corner apt 4th floor). Price was 385k for 3rd floor 2 bed corner apt, only a week or so later on The Ash! DOH! Anyhow, price has gone up to 410k at present. Hopefully projected rises in interest rates won't dampen the property market too much, and we might see it up at 430k by the time I move in. I was told the Ash would be ready by September, but I'd reckon if it's December I'll be lucky. Hoping to catch the January sales for furniture anyhow.

PIKEYS
Yes, I believe there's going to be four halting site - small houses (kinda like those opposite Bewleys hotel, Leopardstown). Wasn't aware that there was affordable housing in that field also - bummer. I'm actually renting a house right beside park view so can see development progressing from my window, which is cool. Note that there's also a big apartment development very near Park View (near The Elm) - hope this isn't affordable housing also. If you ask me, the bigger size of the Park View apartments will keep the resale value well, despite the halting site etc. Most apartments these days are up to about 800 sq ft ... mine's 980. Gimme the pikeys any day, as long as I can't see them from my window!

SHOPS ETC
On the plus side, there's a small green area right in front of The Elm, and the new "Newtownlittle" village is going to be just in front of that. Basically, it's just going to comprise of some shops (prob including an Xtravision I guess), and I believe a creche etc. I get the impression it's going to be something similar to the shops in Sandyford Hall.

THE BUILDING PROCESS
About two months back the "pods" (i.e. a room of your apartment) starting arriving on the backs of artics late at night, all in a convoy. Mad to see - "there's my bathroom passing by" is a weird thought! Anyhow, now (27th March) almost all of the pods are in position - up to the 4th floor on The Elm ... pieced together like lego. The lift shafts have been completed for The Oak and The Ash also, and they're currently building the lift shafts for The Cedar. Problem with the pods though - I wanted to get underfloor heating and was told I couldn't because they're completely prefabricated ... and that means they come fully fitted! Speaking of which, has anyone actually managed to get Fleming to agree to putting in more electrical sockets?

SHOW APARTMENT
I visited the show apartment (which is beside the Littlewood apartments, just as you come into Belarmine) a couple of times. Looks pretty nice, especially the "butterfly" sink in the bathroom. Wasn't crazy about the white / glass units in the kitchen - but apparently they're "en vogue" at the mo. One thing I didn't like - there's only one wardrobe in each bedroom - ok I'm a guy, but I still have loads of clothes! Have seen it open periodically in the evening, not sure.

LIVING IN STEPASIDE
I've been in Stepaside for about 6 months now, and it's really nice. (Was in Ticknock Hill apartments for a year before that too). Step Inn has been refurbished and is now quite nice - although a bit cliquey - not a place to pick up! Food not bad. Mountain View pub is being pulled down I believe and they're going to have some shops and stuff there - in the village. At present, it's just Spar (with genuinely friendly staff!) - but has little post office too - also ATM (only one for miles!). Nearest Xtravision is Sandyford Hall. It's great having Marlay park a mile or so away, and even better Ticknock Hill or Three Rock Mountain or Kippure whatever you prefer to call it! If you climb up the hill anyhow (the one with the big masts on it), you can see right down to the building site which is Park View. Also cool having Dundrum now the road. Bring binoculars! Only criticism with Newtownlittle (where Park View is) is that it's high density - they've really crammed them in. By the way, I hear that residential planning permission has been given for Fernhill Gardens - across the Enniskerry road from Park View.

LUAS
Don't hold your breath on the Luas - that's still being decided as far as I know. There were discussions about having it on the East side of the M50 at Carrickmines. It's not certain whether it'll be on the West side of the M50 (i.e. Stepaside). If it does, will add big value to our apartments. Anyhow, it's not too far too Balally or Sandyford stations ... unless on foot (30 mins). I work in Sandyford, and get into the office in less than 10 mins each morning from Belarmine - can be a small tail-back at roundabout at end of Murphystown Road if there at 8.50am.

Thanks for all the info Robbie_step :D

As far as I know the apartment development right next to Parkview are the apartments belonging to Aikens Village – could be wrong.

The plans for the social / affordable housing are with architects at the moment so building hasn’t started yet. They are hoping to get them approved so that the development can begin later in the year.

With regards to the proposed halting site it is currently at the design stage and awaiting planning permission. The site will have it's own separate entrance on to Enniskerry Road.

Thanks Robbie for all the info!

Yeah I'm nearly 100% the apartments being built at the moment beside Park View are private and have already been sold off the plans.

I think the plan for the LUAS is fairly definite. The Cherrywood line is supposed to be the first to be constructed and it would be absolute madness not to have a stop near Parkview given the amount of housing in that area.

Robbie, where did u hear about Fernhill Gardens getting planning? I was under the impression that the gardens have some sort of preservation order on them? I know Fleming have planning in for about 125 more apartments but they are between ParkView and Aikens Village (i can't believe so much can be crammed into such a small area!). The Great thing about Parkview imo is that it is all underground parking so that leaves loads of space for decent gardens/landscaping.

Agree about the size of the units as well. Mine is 950sqft (well thats what i've been told anyway - will have my measuring tape out as soon as I get it!!). In most of the new developments a similar unit would only be about 750-800sqft so definitely thats a big advantage.

I'm going to try getting extra sockets and maybe tv points in my apartment but haven't tried yet.

Does anybody know if parking is allocated? Originally when I bought I was under the impression that it wasn't but now I see that an extra space will cost u €20,000!! So does that mean that their is one allocated space for each apartment? Presumably there are visitor spaces right?!

Glad to wax lyrical! Regarding Fernhill Gardens - can't remember to be honest - was just grapevine - could be wrong.

Regarding parking spaces - mine was allocated in my contract - designated space underground. Regarding guest parking, there doesn't seem to be very much - that'll be a problem - and it's a good bit away as far as I remember from the plans. €20k for additional space! Phew, feck that - I'll just keep an eye for any neighbours that don't use theirs and pull a hermit crab routine. Reckon I'll get two pieces of car profile shaped wood and drapse some tarpaulin over them to bags the space for whenever mammy arrives to make me dinner! :) Does anyone know if underground parking is secured by gates?

If you're in the first block then it's probably too late for extra sockets etc. Hooke & MacDonald are their usual pain in the ass when trying to ask questions or get additional work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back