Paid Household Charge - Feel like a fool

Status
Not open for further replies.

SallyM

I registered for and paid my Household Charge because it is the law & I'm a good citizen etc.
However, I am now feeling a bit of an eejit for paying it as I know loads of people who have not paid it and they haven't heard a dicky bird about it. Are there loads of civil servants busy making up lists of non-payers? Is it true that a charge is put on the property if you go to sell it (if so this is not widely known)?
While I don't want my fellow citizens hunted down or anything, I would like them to know they haven't gotton away with paying it. If the non-payers aren't followed up, the Govt will have big problems getting the compliant ones to pay up next year. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Is there a question here?

The deadline was less than a month ago, tallies are still being done for those not paid, chill your boots and don't start blaming civil servants!

Is it true that a charge is put on the property if you go to sell it (if so this is not widely known)?
While a charge is not put on a property in respect of the unpaid Household Charge, any future sale or disposal of the property will not be completed until confirmation is in place that the Household Charge plus all interest etc is fully paid. I.e. There is no question that those who have'nt paid this charge will escape ultimate costs and penalties.

Is there a question here?

The deadline was less than a month ago, tallies are still being done for those not paid, chill your boots and don't start blaming civil servants!

I see two questions in the OP and i don't really see where she's blaming civil servants for anything in particular

I know loads of people who have not paid it and they haven't heard a dicky bird about it.

Its only be 25 days since the payment deadline passed. Tell those people who havent paid to be patient and that just because some time has passed that they havent got away with it just yet

I would bet that the household tax we be abolished after the next election.I can see FF and Sin Fein promising all sorts of goodies like that.

I would bet that the household tax we be abolished after the next election.I can see FF and Sin Fein promising all sorts of goodies like that.

Brillant, and isn't that precisely how we got in the current mess. Promising and delivering that which was not sustainable.

Where are FF and Sinn Fein going to get the money?

SallyM, you did the right thing, this will come back to haunt the non payers, maybe not today but one day soon, and certainly when they go to sell the property or there is a sale due to a death.

Household tax in it's current format was a knee jerk reaction to a request from Europe... and we have witnessed the incompetence of those in power in this country in rolling out the tax / charge / whatever they want to call it. We will see the same for the water charge - incompetence in it's roll out, accompanied with vague information on costs etc...

For those who paid their household tax / charge - well done, great citizens - doing your duty... for those who didn't pay - well done, taking a stand / making a statement of intent - or for whatever reason you did or did not pay... it's done - move on...

Jazz, it's not enough to tell people to "move on" (probably, the most used two consecutive words in history). Let's say the Household Charge will be abolished and I think it will. Then the usual situation in Ireland Ltd comes into play i.e. the same people pay for everything.

This is where the trades unions are leaving their members and retired members down. I know one thing; if the charges are abolished I would feel like a dreadful eejit for paying while others are told "well we didn't think the whole situation out." . . . and worse again "Let's move on."

However, I am now feeling a bit of an eejit for paying it as I know loads of people who have not paid it and they haven't heard a dicky bird about it.
I wonder if people would say the same if their acquaintances had not paid income tax or motor tax.

As stated above, for anyone selling a property at the moment, enforcement of payment of the household charge is definitely an issue.

Brillant, and isn't that precisely how we got in the current mess. Promising and delivering that which was not sustainable.

Where are FF and Sinn Fein going to get the money?

SallyM, you did the right thing, this will come back to haunt the non payers, maybe not today but one day soon, and certainly when they go to sell the property or there is a sale due to a death.

You make the promises, theres no need to keep them, just ask Enda & Eamon.

You make the promises, theres no need to keep them, just ask Enda & Eamon.

Do you honestly expect any different? Anyone who expects any politician to keep all 'promises' they made during election campaign is a fool!

I dont know why people keep harping on about broken promises and blaming the current lot for the current climate and the issues it brings.

Are you suggesting that if FF stayed in power based on their electoral promises that they would have done anything different? NO

SF- NO, Independents- NO.

Bottom line is we are broke. Everyone should pay the tax. Those who dont will probably end up just paying more. Then they'l be moaning about that

i for 1 have not paid the propetry tax. reason is im flat out paying taxes and what people dont realise is that this E100 payment is just the start of it. they can take it out of my salary if they wish but i am not paying it under my own obligation. why should the tax payer pay and pay and pay for the mistakes of others. are banks paying for their mistakes???

call me whatever you like but im fed up getting taxed and taxed and taxed.

I'm pretty sure everyone who has watched the TV, listened to the radio, or picked up a newspaper in the last 6 months is well aware that this is just the start of it; it's not as if they've pretended otherwise.

Do you honestly expect any different? Anyone who expects any politician to keep all 'promises' they made during election campaign is a fool!

I dont know why people keep harping on about broken promises and blaming the current lot for the current climate and the issues it brings.

Are you suggesting that if FF stayed in power based on their electoral promises that they would have done anything different? NO

SF- NO, Independents- NO.

Bottom line is we are broke. Everyone should pay the tax. Those who dont will probably end up just paying more. Then they'l be moaning about that

The current lot at any moment in time are the only ones that we can address, you might accept the best of the worst, I just hope for better.

Have you noticed? - There isn't a single word on radio or television about the Household Charge. The government probably reached their real target on income for the charge. Like I said earlier, the same people pay for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back