Ongar Dublin 15 ?

Voda said:
We're thinking of moving to Ongar.
Was just on to our estate agent, but we didn't mention we were thinking of Ongar. Out of the blue, he mentioned that all of the investors he has won't touch Ongar because of the high amount of renters, i.e. low number of owner occupiers. This is sth I'd be concerned about...
Where I am at the moment, almost all problems have been due to renters who don't give a crap about the place they live in.
Anyone any views??

I know 3 sets of owner occupier couples who live here and none of them have ever complained about problems due to huge amount of renters.

I think you will get renters no matter where you live. I have a rented property on either side of me and I have no probs.

Great to finally find people who know about Ongar! I'm working on a research project on new housing developments, and so much of the stuff I've found as been estate-agent speak which is like a whole other language :)

I'm an owner occupier in Ongar. Attended residents meeting tonight about Dept of Education plans to build two schools on the green space at Ongar Green. couple of local TD's turned up to comment (Joan Burton & Joe Higgins) as the DOE are going to push two schools onto a 4.5 acre green area......the average space required for one school is 5 acres.....

Residents not too happy as it could mean up to 1400 kids being dropped off and roads in Ongar are just not wide enough to take volume of traffic....parking is also a major issue as builders reduced the width of roads to allow them build more houses....can't see how school buses could get through at the moment, never mind construction vehicles when the work starts.....there is also the issue of the green area being taken away from the local community.....

when i bought the house two years ago, we were told the green area would remain but it looks like Manor Park Homebuilders were economical with the truth again......

if i had known what the real plans were, i would have serious doubts about moving to ongar.....as it is, i have a wife and young child and the thoughts of my quiet road being used as an access road / car-park to the new schools is frightening......

having said that, i love the house and the ongar village is great.....but in a couple of years, it could get very claustraphobic....the only visible green space will be in my back-garden ....

I used to live in Ongar, only moved out recently. Glad to be out of the place to be honest. Ill give you the plus points as well as the minus to avoid being completely negative

Good:
Good location, short drive from Blanchardstown, near the train & bus making it accessible to town as well as all of Dublin 15
Good facilities in Ongar Village, which is walking distance from pretty much all of the houses
Good public transport-buses, train

Bad:
Build quality isnt great, soundproofing is awful ( we could hear neighbours running a tap or using the toilet!)
In some parts it feels very cramped as though houses are built right on top of each other.
Lots of cars in our area got broken into-although Im told that this is a problem in many new estates
Ongar is covered by Lucan Garda station rather than Blanchardstown, they can often take quite a while to call out if you report anything. We had a few bad experiences where no one came out at all
We noticed a lot of kids started hanging round int the evenings/at night, either on the green areas, in the car parks or even at one stage in the hall of our apartment building!
In our area there were few owner occupiers, in fact most of the tenants were social welfare. Some were lovely but a lot had very little respect for the area.
Although the public transport looks good in theory-I found the 39 bus pretty useless as it took about 90 minutes to get into town at peak times, and although the train service is quite good its a 30 minute walk from most parts of Ongar, and as others have said its pretty packed most of the time!

Don't want to go too much into the specifics, but if anyone wants more details feel free to PM me

Thanks so much for replying :)

Sunny said:
Great transport links
Within walking distance

Instead of

Train service but may struggle to get on and if you do, fainting is distinct possibility
As long as you wear comfortable shoes, bring a compass, and have plenty of supplies

yeah, i remember my first trek to Ongar village. Was informed at clonsilla train station that it wasn't walking distance, jumped on the next 39 bus only to be dumped on the side of the road at the terminus with not a whiff of a signpost!

Dublin1969 said:
Attended residents meeting tonight about Dept of Education plans to build two schools on the green space at Ongar Green. couple of local TD's turned up to comment (Joan Burton & Joe Higgins) as the DOE are going to push two schools onto a 4.5 acre green area......the average space required for one school is 5 acres.....

when i bought the house two years ago, we were told the green area would remain but it looks like Manor Park Homebuilders were economical with the truth again......

Was there a big turnout at the meeting? I can't believe they're trying to build on a green area (not to mind the way they're trying to cram them in!) because so much of the promotional stuff makes a huge point of a dedicated place for a school. In a way green areas are as important for kids living in Ongar as schools are! Have you run into many instances of Manor Park being economical with the truth?

sunot said:
Ongar is covered by Lucan Garda station rather than Blanchardstown

I never knew that, I wonder what their rationale is?

Which green do they propose to build the new school on? Is in near Lilys way?

Sibling of mine lives in Ongar. Nice village but there is alot of housing. I always thought that in a couple of years its gonna be a nightmare. If there is a slump in the property market it would be (IMO) hit hard. Its a good walk to the train station and in response to residents complaining about parking my sister has had her car keyed for parking in the estate next to it.

Never understood why the developed the village and let cars drive straight thru it.

Ongar is a great place to live.

I find the area quiet good actually, to add to few others: the village is great, nice n friendly, easy access to main roads such as N3, M50, airport and train station. The last one --> Recently after they doubled the trains there is almost a train for every 10 minutes during peak hours, which is great. You get the luxuary of Blanchardstown while being slightly away from the comotion.

Regarding house prices being hit hard, if it happens it'd happen in everywhre I believe. Many of the houses in Ongar are built for a common man with average salary [leave the trail of increasing house prices behind]. With the new school, you almost have a complete package of good living still within a 40 minute to the reach to the town.

Off late IBM, EBay are coming into D15 area which is great for the local crowd/local jobs.

Regarding the sound, its a problem almost everywhere. I lived in foxrock/leapordstown/terrenure/milltown/Ashbrooke/Fairview , there is noise from neighbours that you cant avoid. Infact I find Ongar to be lot cleaner than many other places.

In short, great place to live in and a great place to invest.

My brother and his wife have lived in Ongar the past couple of years. They have recently sold their house (very easily and quickly), as they are moving to nearer her family in the country. However they both worked in town, got the train every day no problem and settled very well into the area. We've stayed over a couple of times and thought the pubs were good (and the bakery in the village the next morning too lol). Have to say I think it's a lovely place. As for the traffic if they build schools etc, traffic is going to be sh*t everywhere in Dublin - everywhere.

Phoenix.....the planned schools are being built on the green area in Ongar Green (its the green behind Dunnes Stores car-park and beside the all-weather football pitch that is currently being built)......at the moment its under management company control but will be handed over to local council as soon as development work starts on schools....

I wonder if the name will be changed from Ongar Green to Ongar Concrete.....

hope that fingal co council and Dept of Education listen to residents concerns......it doesnt seem right to take away green space......are kids meant to play on the road ??

i've lived there just over 3 years now, one of the first on the ongar green side, and find it a fine place to live,
only thing missing is when will one of the pubs open,

"dublin1969Phoenix.....the planned schools are being built on the green area in Ongar Green (its the green behind Dunnes Stores car-park and beside the all-weather football pitch that is currently being built)......at the moment its under management company control but will be handed over to local council as soon as development work starts on schools....

I wonder if the name will be changed from Ongar Green to Ongar Concrete"

anybody that bought in ongar should of seen the plans for the school to go in that area behind dunnes which is currently not a green actually but cordoned of ground beside the all weather pitch and not the green area in font of the house in willians,

also if you walk by dunnes and ongar house there's a good few acres of green area there,
at lilys way side there is also a green area,
so think your being a bit harsh about it to be honest,

Was chasing with local estate agent...about coupla properties in Ongar, they have gone sale agreed during this time when there is a lotta talk about buyers being bit sceptic..its still high on sales over in ongar :)

Call me crazy but I think the fact that they want to build schools is great. There are not nearly enough schools in D.15. So yes, there'll be more traffic in a few years when they're built but isn't that better than having to send your child miles away (the schools in Littlepace are already well over-subscribed, so good luck getting in there).
And I remember when Ongar was being built, a school was always in the plans, so why the surprise now??

Its great that there is a school being built but they are planning to build 2 primary schools for 1400 kids and put a community centre on 4 acres. I live very close to this green area and am a bit annoyed but not that they are building schools more so that the only access will be through the estate itself even though it could easily have a separate access road entering near the football pitches that way private residents parking would not be affected and it would keep the estate as safe place for children to play.

the school(s) will be built on the green area facing willans houses....thats where planning permission sign is.......

I found the original ongar green brochure which we got when buying the house 3 years ago and it has a very nice colour map of the area showing one proposed school right beside the playing pitch......thats not the issue with residents of ongar green.....we knew there would be a school and have no objection to that...

the main issue is the proposal for a second primary school on the green area opposite willans park.......there has been no dialogue with residents about this and the Minister for Education replied to Deputy Joan Burton on 4th July with the following comments -

"the Ongar site comprises four acres and there is no question of such a large parcel of scarce and costly land being dedicated to one educational facility......"
"the Department took the exceptional measure of recognising a new school, outside the new schools advisory committee process in order to ensure that places will be available for eligible pupils for September 2007".

The proposed site is approx 2 acres and is completely insufficient. The green area will be greatly reduced so I dont think its unreasonable for residents to be concerned as the green area was a major factor when buying the house. I would also think that school-children should have access to green areas and with the proposed second school, green space for any activities will be minimal.

How long before the green space on the roundabout island will be developed?

If you have young children and a green area within walking distance of your home, would you like to see it turned into concrete?

Ah I see the issue now - one school was promised not two. I've recently heard a rumour that the proposed secondary school on the nearby Latchford site has been ruled out and extra housing is going to go there instead. Maybe that has something to do with why they want to squeeze in tow schools in Ongar??

dublin1969 said:
If you have young children and a green area within walking distance of your home, would you like to see it turned into concrete?

Just on this point - if you have young children the number one thing you will want is adequate provision for their education.

I've been living in Clonee since '99 and I feel that Ongar has been generally well planned in comparison to the Littlepace area. We have a really bad school places problem. I'd hazard a guess that the age profile in Ongar is a little younger than Littlepace but give it a few years and there will be kids everywhere and you'll be glad the schools are there.

On the rentals v O-O situation - more and more houses are going rental in Littlepace as the people that have been there for 6-7 years who have a nice bit of equity are moving on but keeping their houses. It's not a huge problem but it's not a trend I'm happy about either.

Bottom line - I like my house, I like my estate - not mad about the area but I can easily tolerate it. If I could move my house up nearer to Ongar that might be something. It's a bit too much of a walk up to Douglas and Kaldi.

Did anyone see the Census figures that came out this week - surprise, surprise, Fingal is the fastest growing area in the country.
Hardly a surprise considering all the new estates, Ongar included.
What worries me is that there is so much more building planned - what about that huge piece of land opposite Ongar for which another 2-3,000 units are planned? The infrastructure is struggling to cope now and issues like the lack of schools are just going to be exacerbated in the near future...

Re Ongar, has anyone any news on ther large building at the top of the village. I understood it was to be a restaurant/bar but the construction seems to be oh so slow. And now another building has mushroomed beside it with attractive stone work. What's the delay, and what will these buildings offer upon completion.

As a resident I am disappointed none of the proposed restaurants/bars have opened. I would have thought the village would be a very lucrative opportunity for such businesses - The cafe appears to be doing a roaring trade.

Not sure what that new building beside the alleged pub is - but I'd been told the pub owned by the same people involved with the Paddocks Pub in Littlepace, who incidentally have also now opened up the mortgage brokers office in Ongar Village.

Back