Ongar Dublin 15 ?

OngarGuy

Does anyone know what the area is like to live in, as I will soon be living their with my girlfriend.

Apparently Dunnes Stores have opened a fancy new store their!

OngarGuy said:
Does anyone know what the area is like to live in, as I will soon be living their with my girlfriend.

Surely you checked the area out before you decided to live there? Or do you mean that you're moving in with your girlfriend who already lives there?

No, I didn't. hence the question! Bit of a long story but, will be moving in their shortly it is an investment property belonging to the girlfriends side (will be finished in two weeks). HTH.

Unregistered said:
Isn't Ongar just estate agent speak for Clonee?
It's about 2k away from clonee, Ongar is an actual village built on a former stud farm, from what I'm told it didn't exist 2 years ago.

I'm no snob but I was just woundering what type of person lives their, has anyone info on the area.

Ongar is quite a nice place, gym/schools/hospital close by and is fairly cosmopolitant as well.

As a lifelong Dublin 15 resident I have to say Dublin 15 appears to be huge these days and goes from Ashtown's new estates along the Tolka Valley which I expected to be in Dublin 7 right out to the Meath border. We'll all soon live in Castleknock too which has been getting bigger itself, so I wouldn't worry about where exactly Ongar is. As there's an An Post sorting office in Dublin 15 it means you don't actually need to put anything more than your street address and Dublin 15 on the envelope . . . what I would worry about is traffic - if you work in Dublin city and plan to commute by car it will take almost 90mins on a bad day. The worst bit of the commute is actually getting out of Dublin 15. If you plan to commute by train the nearest train station is the Clonsilla Station which will be a decent walk from Ongar, and has no car park, and the residents close to the station are regularly reported in the local press protesting about the situation.

I know a couple of people living there and the only complaint I ever heard was about the traffic. Having said that, I have noticed that house prices are stabilising if not falling in Ongar - maybe just due to the number of new houses being built.

Agree with what is said above. My brother and his wife live there, she's on the road from 7 am to get into town before 9.

They've had no difficulties with neighbours and generally like the area. The biggest fault that they have is the design of their house, which is a four bedroom on three stories over a two bed apartment. If you figure out that you've left your mobile on the bedside locker as your getting into your car, then you've forty two steps up to your master bedroom and a further forty two back down. Parking is another issue that crops up from time to time (too many cars, not enough spaces).

Regards,

Past30Now

Unregistered said:
Ongar is quite a nice place, gym/schools/hospital close by and is fairly cosmopolitant as well.
Was in Ongar yesterday for a look and was plesently surprised that the village has everything you would want and wouldn't need to go into Blanch shopping centre (Bedlam at times), only for the cinema .

Dunnes, Dominos, flower shop, barbers, bookies, xtravision, chinese & indian Restaurants , two pubs, medical center, newspaper shop and more to come.

All on the door step of the apartment, excellent.

Seems to be a good cross section of people mainly 25-40 years age group.

Round Tuit said:
you don't actually need to put anything more than your street address and Dublin 15 on the envelope . . . what I would worry about is traffic - if you work in Dublin city and plan to commute by car it will take almost 90mins on a bad day. The worst bit of the commute is actually getting out of Dublin 15. If you plan to commute by train the nearest train station is the Clonsilla Station which will be a decent walk from Ongar, and has no car park, and the residents close to the station are regularly reported in the local press protesting about the situation.

Good post.

The main thing is that I live in Dublin not Meath (where the girlfriend is from) it would be terrible to leave the county where I was born! lol.

Was told the station is only a 15min walk.
If it takes 90mins long on a bad day, imagine how long it will take people from other parts 3 hours!!

It took me 25-30min to get to O'Connell street yesterday.

If you work in any of the industrail estates close by (where I do), it will only take you 15min on a bad day

Fly said:
I know a couple of people living there and the only complaint I ever heard was about the traffic. Having said that, I have noticed that house prices are stabilising if not falling in Ongar - maybe just due to the number of new houses being built.

Don't know about that, girlfriends Uncle was blowing to me that same size appartment in the next phase will be 15,000 more expensive, becase of those special saving money, his words not mine. the HOK office was open yesterday in the village and it seem busy enough. AFIK the next phase is the last. The few of acres green space can't be built on.

Past30Now said:
Agree with what is said above. My brother and his wife live there, she's on the road from 7 am to get into town before 9.

They've had no difficulties with neighbours and generally like the area. The biggest fault that they have is the design of their house, which is a four bedroom on three stories over a two bed apartment. If you figure out that you've left your mobile on the bedside locker as your getting into your car, then you've forty two steps up to your master bedroom and a further forty two back down. Parking is another issue that crops up from time to time (too many cars, not enough spaces).

Regards,

Past30Now

Your brother and girlfriend must be very fit at this stage!! lol

I've never seen so may unique designs for apartments, townhouses and penthouses, I was told its designs are based on sandymout village.

As for car parking ther is two places out side our appartment we have only one car. Also big carpark across from the cresent empty enough yesterday, Duunes/chinese carpark has 200 places.

I've been checking out myhome.ie over the last while and I've noticed that the Ongar houses have been on sale for quite a while (seems to be anything from 2 to 6 months) and they have been dropping their asking prices by anything up to €30k. I don't know what the houses are going for when they do sell. They could be getting higher than the final asking price, but I think it's an indication of a real slow down in that particular section of the housing market.
My interest is that my brother was looking at a two bed house / apartment in the general D15 area and so we have all been looking at what is available.

Thats very interesting fly,

Can you give me the link regarding ongar in my home.ie?

As far as I know HOK don't sell on Myhome.ie are you talking about second hand propery?

I've been told that prices were increasing by ,2,500-7,500 a week at the end of the last phase.

Yes, talking about second hand property. Have no idea of the pricing of the new homes, but I presume one will affect the other.
www.myhome.ie look under Dublin west, clonsilla.

Fly said:
Have no idea of the pricing of the new homes, but I presume one will affect the other.

Thanks for the reply and link Fly,
but I think some of the houses on the link are social housing and will never reach the prices some people ask (You can't except to get the same money as normal houses, can you? hence you are not going to pay 260,000 for a house that's only worth 230,000. Mind you their are some chancers who will ask for it!

I stand to be corrected on this.

Not sure what you mean cos I presume if the house is up for sale then it's privately owned. What I meant was keep your eye on the houses and apts in Ongar under this section. There's a few that are up there since October (when we started looking) and some have dropped their prices by €5 to €15k, one has dropped by €35k and still seems to be sitting there.
They may start moving now that the shops seem to be opening and there are a few more amenities.

We're thinking of moving to Ongar.
Was just on to our estate agent, but we didn't mention we were thinking of Ongar. Out of the blue, he mentioned that all of the investors he has won't touch Ongar because of the high amount of renters, i.e. low number of owner occupiers. This is sth I'd be concerned about...
Where I am at the moment, almost all problems have been due to renters who don't give a crap about the place they live in.
Anyone any views??

Back