Munster -v- Leinster

No they weren't Guscott was not even capped when he went on his first lions tour

Which Guscott are you referring to ?

Jeremy Guscott.The Bath centre scored a hat-trick on his England debut in May 1989 and followed that up by scoring the most outrageous of tries in his first Lions Test just two months later.

As I started this thread I have to have my last word.

Fantastic game, great to be there, Leinster hammered us from the getgo, shame about the "incidents" on the pitch but a super night had all round.
If Leinster don't bring it home, it will be a crying shame.

I'll be borrowing one of my hubbies jerseys to watch the game in the local.

Munster will be back :p

Kitten

Which Guscott are you referring to ?

Jeremy Guscott.The Bath centre scored a hat-trick on his England debut in May 1989 and followed that up by scoring the most outrageous of tries in his first Lions Test just two months later.

Ok one test against the might of Romania which one cap less then Earls- I have noticed you ignored the rest :p

Ok one test against the might of Romania which one cap less then Earls- I have noticed you ignored the rest :p

Are you new to rugby?

Guscott only got a late call-up to the Lions due to injury.Your other examples were Bateman and Greenwood.
Greenwood did not play in any of the 1997 or 2001 test matches.
Bateman had been capped for Wales 7 years before joining the Lions (after coming back from rugby league)

Look, I am not saying Earls is a bad player but I think he is too young and inexperienced to go on a Lions tour to S.A. If it goes badly it could destroy his confidence.

Are you new to rugby?

Guscott only got a late call-up to the Lions due to injury.Your other examples were Bateman and Greenwood.
Bateman had been capped for Wales 7 years before joining the Lions (after coming back from rugby league)

Look, I am not saying Earls is a bad player but I think he is too young and inexperienced to go on a Lions tour to S.A. If it goes badly it could destroy his confidence.

Do be fair to Greenwood, was that not because he nearly died on the pitch? He swallowed his tongue and stoped breathing. Still horrible to watch on that Lions video. He was a nailed on certainty for a test place before that given how he performed in the warm up matches.

Are you new to rugby?

my mistake I meant Bentley not bateman who had just come over from league. Earls could learn a great deal on tour - you forget he has also played in 2 churchill cups where he thrived against experienced pros and this was way before he was even getting gametime with Munster.

.. Greenwood .. was a nailed on certainty for a test place before that ..

Hmm, subjective.
Well and all as he had being playing, he was unlikely to get on the test XV ahead of Gibbs or Guscott.

The Lions have a history of picking players with lesser experience and it hasn't always proved out to be a springbard for further international recognition. I'm thinking specifically of Peter Morgan in 1980, Ian Hunter in 1993 & Ollie Smith in 2005.

I hope Earls' international career is closer to Will Greenwood's, than those 3.

Back