Martin McGuiness for President?

Apparently Sean Gallager has a proposal that instead of an election leaflet for each candidate being sent to every household in the country, there should just be one leaflet for all 7 candidates. He reckons it would save approx 10 million euro on postage.
Sounds good to me.

The cynic in me tells me Sean Gallagher doesn't really think he's going to win anyway, so why bother spending his own money on posters etc when he can just go along for the ride and get all this free publicity. Perhaps he's a good businessman/entrpreneur but I'm not sure he has that statesman quality that IMO is required for head of state.

It's the lack of honesty by McGuiness and Norris and their hiding of things that worry me about the pair of them. Last thing this country needs is to be distracted by some scandal erupting down the line. Both of them should be open, honest and transparent and then let people decide based on the facts.

Couldn't agree more, full disclosure from them all if they're to represent the state.

Whatever about MMG representing in Stormont, both sides had to let a few things pass in order to work together. But he wants to represent this state as President. However ceremonial it is, he could have been (even if it was just tacitly) behind the murder of citizens of Ireland and even (again tacitly) involved in the murder of children.

I think some of these candidates believe they will have more power in office than they actually will.

Sean Gallagher has said that he will work for employment. Would he not be better running in the General Election and trying to influence the jobs situation as a politician than a President?

I thought the Late Late Show tonight was quite good. I am glad that Martin McGuinness is in the race. I won't vote for him, but his presence is a cause for good worthwhile debate. I think it asks questions about the position of Irish people on where we stand regarding forgiving and forgetting the past, two qualities that Northen Ireland needed in order to reach a power sharing agreement. I can't quite forgive the IRA for atrocities such as the murder of Garda Jerry McCabe. I do think Martin McGuinness in his later role as a peacemaker is due some praise.

Also enjoyed the show last night.

Think that Mary Davis and probably Sean Gallagher are out of it now haven't listened to what they had to say.

I think its going to be between, in order, Michael D, Norris, MMG, Gay.

Also enjoyed the show last night.

Think that Mary Davis and probably Sean Gallagher are out of it now haven't listened to what they had to say.

I agree.

Someone pointed out that in his posters Mickey D looks a lot like the reverend from Postman Pat. (Not that I watch Postman Pat, I’m far too busy :D)

I think it is going to fall like that too but MMG might end up getting abetter first preference than Norris.
FG have gone all out on McGuiness. They must be worried he'll finish ahead of their candidate.
The attacks over the weekend may backfire.

IMHO Norris has little chance. I think it's between Mickey D and MMG with Dana being the dark horse.
I've been impressed with Dana so far on LLS
She gets that the President's main job is to protect the Irish Constitution.

FG have gone all out on McGuiness. They must be worried he'll finish ahead of their candidate.
The attacks over the weekend may backfire.
I don't think so. At 10/1 Mitchell has nothing to lose by differentiating himself from the others. My guess is that the electoral attitudes to McGuinness are that a 20% disenfranchised class would be ardent supporters, a further 30% have been fooled by his peacemaker claims and the remaining 50% detest him. The FG ploy will make the middle 30% think again. But more importantly it might make many in the "detest" camp to support Mitchell as the only one prepared to call a spade a spade here.

Couldn't agree more, full disclosure from them all if they're to represent the state.

Whatever about MMG representing in Stormont, both sides had to let a few things pass in order to work together. But he wants to represent this state as President. However ceremonial it is, he could have been (even if it was just tacitly) behind the murder of citizens of Ireland and even (again tacitly) involved in the murder of children.

Whereas we are in no doubt - because of the many, many uncontested revelations over the years - that Britain, represented by Banríon Eilís a Dó, has killed hundreds if not thousands of innocent nationalists in Northern Ireland and did so knowingly by passing on the names of innocent Catholics to Loyalist murder squads through the command of Brigadier General Gordon Kerr.

At least if Lizzie meets McGuinness in the Áras, she'll know what that red sticky substance on his hands is.

Norris wouldn't, and its his naivety that is my only concern about him - a touch of Champagne bubbles.

McGuinness OTOH is like a strong pint of stout - an acquired taste.

As for the rest of them -

• Sean Gallagher is a young wine trying to become vintage before his time
  • Davis is all Red Bull and Corporate but not easy to warm to
  • Gay Mitchell is sour grapes, salt and vinegar.
  • Dana has a touch of Hemlock about her
  • Michael D is arguably on the turn
So much for the Halloween Party.

I had a scary thought. Can't the Presi grant asylum. McGuinness would almost certainly grant asylum to his old pal Ghaddaffi, would even have have him as an indefinite Aras guest.:eek:

I had a scary thought. Can't the Presi grant asylum. McGuinness would almost certainly grant asylum to his old pal Ghaddaffi, would even have have him as an indefinite Aras guest.:eek:

Another scary thought. I thought that under new proposed legislation from Alan Shatter ( the one obliging priests to tell the Gardai if someone admits to an offense in confession), that if people were aware crimes had been committed that they are legally required to tell the Gardai. If McG knows of IRA people living in the South and their crimes (which he probably does), would he be obliged to tell the Gardai? If not, would he have committed a crime and if he did tell the Gardai, would his Sinn Fein colleagues consider him a grass?

Gosh ,Onq, ... so, ... we are in no doubt that the Britain killed hundreds if not thousands of innocent nationalists by passing on the names of these innocent Catholics to Loyalist murder squads....

Do you believe that ? Really?

Gosh ,Onq, ... so, ... we are in no doubt that the Britain killed hundreds if not thousands of innocent nationalists by passing on the names of these innocent Catholics to Loyalist murder squads....

Do you believe that ? Really?
ONQ believes that the way out of our current financial mess is to wipe the slate clean and let everybody off their current debts. So it is entirely possible that he does indulge that fantasy.

Back