Martin McGuiness for President?

Is Sean Gallagher really a FF candidate in disguise ala the various 'Independent' FF gene pool candidates we've seen in the Dail? Wikipedia says he was a member of the FF National Executive.

I listened to the candidates on News at One.

I saw some of them on Prime Time last night.

I'm still in the 'meh' camp for all of them

Anyone else think that Mary Davis looks awfully like Mary McAleese on her posters? Another effort to convince us we'll be getting an equally high calibre President if we vote for her?

Anyone else think that Mary Davis looks awfully like Mary McAleese on her posters? Another effort to convince us we'll be getting an equally high calibre President if we vote for her?

Same thought cross my mind

Also, why are they all suddenly putting full lenght pictures of themselves on their posters?

Haven't made my mind up yet (other then I know who I won't be voting for) but Sean Gallagher might get it since he promised not to put posters up, guess he is in pole position for my vote :D

Can't vote for Norris for the reasons I've outlined before.
Can't vote for Mary Davis; we can’t have three Mary’s in a row.
Can’t vote for McGuiness; he’s too much blood on his hands and isn’t honest about his past.
Can’t vote for Gallagher; I was very unimpressed when I heard him talking on Prime Time (I’ll create jobs... yea right you will)
Who are the other again?

Whatever about the calibre of the candidates, the guys from Nob Nation are going to have a field day on them!
I've never seen such a diverse field.

Sean Gallagher might get it since he promised not to put posters up, guess he is in pole position for my vote :D

Thats cos he's a businessman and he knows its a waste of money - though what he's hoping to get from the whole thing I dont quite know.

Mickey D is odds-on favourite. I'm giving him my number 6.

Michael D.Higgins 4/6
David Norris 7/2
Martin McGuinness 9/2
Gay Mitchell 8/1
Mary Davis 9/1
Sean Gallagher 40/1
Dana Rosemary Scallon 50/1

If Fergus Finlay was running I’d definitely give him my number 1 (out of the candidates that are running) but I’ll find it hard to vote for any of them now.

Why is Dana so far out of it?, she's not my cup of tea by a long shot but I thought she'd have a fair draw in the North West, the Badlands (country 'n' Irish belt from Carrickmacross to Birr) and God fearing places like Cork North West

I know the Mail have an agenda against SF and McGuinness, but that is a shocking report if it is true.

The IRA killing of Bernard Teggart was worse, a lot worse. It took the IRA 30 years to for this atrocity.

Bernard Teggart, 15 years, from New Barnsley Crescent, Belfast, N Ireland, who was assassinated 13th November 1973 by the Provisional IRA. His badly-beaten body was found near Bellevue Zoo on the outskirts of the city. It bore a placard bearing the word Tout i.e an informer. His twin brother who was abducted at the same time was released after being given a coat and three shillings and told to take a bus home. The abductions took place from St Patrick's Youth Detention Centre. Bernard was said to have a mental age of 8 or 9 years. Although the IRA did not admit responsibility it issued a statement in October 2004 saying that after an investigation it offered its sincere apologies to the family admitting the killing should not have happened.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could even consider voting for Martin McGuinness. There are still so many families out there grieving for murdered members. How could anyone slap them in the face by making someone so closely tied with the IRA our first citizen?

Moving on is one thing, but things have to go at a sensitive pace.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could even consider voting for Martin McGuinness. There are still so many families out there grieving for murdered members. How could anyone slap them in the face by making someone so closely tied with the IRA our first citizen?

+1. I haven't made up my mind yet who will get my vote, but definitely not Martin Mc Guinness.

I feel the same to an extent, but it's less the time gone by, I want full disclosure before considering him. Secrets etc be damned, if you're going to be president and represent the State, all figurative and literal skeletons need to be aired.

I'm not a McG supporter, but in fairness the Northerners have had to put up with him in power, not in a ceremonial position. Could be argued that what's good for the goose etc. Given his major contribution to ending the troubles we are being asked to move on I suppose. Today's most loved statesman, ie Nelson Mandela was yesterday's terrorist.

I feel the same to an extent, but it's less the time gone by, I want full disclosure before considering him. Secrets etc be damned, if you're going to be president and represent the State, all figurative and literal skeletons need to be aired.

It's the lack of honesty by McGuiness and Norris and their hiding of things that worry me about the pair of them. Last thing this country needs is to be distracted by some scandal erupting down the line. Both of them should be open, honest and transparent and then let people decide based on the facts.

Back