leaving the country owing 35k .what will happen

hi all , ive decided im going to leave the country for a few years my debts are out of control and ive since lost my job again due to the downturn, I know its not a good idea abd moraly its wrong , im looking for advice on what will happen when the ban ks cant sumons me to court , will they get a judgement anyway , and will some banks take you to court for 2500; 3 grand ... i would apreciate some genuine legal knowledge ..thanks

hi owesafortune, this is my first reply/post on here so please excuse any typo errors.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your debts. ive been in a somewhat similer position. A few years ago i became ill,unable to work and thus found it impossible to service my quite considerable unsecured debts to the level of repayment my creditors expected and to which i had signed up to and agreed to.
I worried,panic set in,at the time i wished i could do a runner,stuck my head in the sand for a time and when the barrage of phone calls and letters started i really contemplated suicide. They just wouldnt listen to reason.
To cut a long story short, i eventually sought help from mabs,they contacted creditors,explained the situation and came to a reduced payment plan with agreeable creditors.
But there is a flipside,the banks/finance houses that i owed the most to were the most agreeable to the reduced payments,it was the ones with the least amounts outstanding ie-3000euro and under that sought and obtained judgment and went for installment orders.
so in answer to your question,yes by god they will pursue, from my experience of
the antiquated system anyway.THEY CANT TAKE BLOOD FROM A STONE, BUT THEY WILL TRY.

for one its a civil not a legal matter so technicly im not breaking the law, and secondly i have found out that if they cant dekiver the sumons they cant issue a judgement , so they can pursue me but they wont get another penny , and finaly i will enjoy my time away , going to asia then oz, lookingforward to it thanks

This has to be a wind up.
If you signed credit agreements with MBNA, credit union whatever and also entered a payment reschedule through MABS this is a legal matter, you made a commitment.
Judgement in default is a term used when a respondent ignores registered post or disappears. Your family, friend whatever will be hounded by the agents collecting the dents you are trying to run from.
Your PPS number will be on your credit record. If you work in another country you will have to give this information with your passport etc when registering with immigration unless you plan to work illegally abroad.
If you ignore the court instructions it is a matter for the Garda, try running with a warrant on you for contempt.
Grow up, face the music, if you have no money tell that to the judge. If you have no assets you have nothing to fear with judgements ither than a bad credit record. You will never get a loan again so you will have to earn, save and buy with real money, not credit. So what if you rent for the rest of your life too.

hmm it seems that it is possible and if a sumons cant be issued it is possible , and with the statue of limitations i wouldnt have to leave for that long , so i will enjoy my time away , and for the other reply im not breaking the law , its a civil matter ,which to be honest the way the banks have behaved in the last ten years I dont feel that bad about doing it , i have payed tax for 12 years here so technicly ive been paying for the goverment to prop up the banks , for them to pursue me and try and imprison me , no thanks .... they can persue me for every penny but they wont get it , due to the fact that ill be gone in 3 weeks

If this isn't a wind up....what you're planning on doing is absolutely disgusting. While I hope you're pursued for every penny, I think Ireland will be a better place for your leaving. Do us a favour and take some like minded people with you - we all know who they are.

I don't condone the OP's approach, but I do think some of the responses have been OTT. I don't see the huge difference between him looking for advice hear and business owners seeking professional advice about liquidating their business, which isn't unusual.

Would those people getting excited on this thread be equally excited about seeing creditors of Chartbusters getting 5c for every €1 they are owed?

hi all , ive decided im going to leave the country for a few years my debts are out of control and ive since lost my job again due to the downturn, I know its not a good idea abd moraly its wrong , im looking for advice on what will happen when the ban ks cant sumons me to court , will they get a judgement anyway , and will some banks take you to court for 2500; 3 grand ... i would apreciate some genuine legal knowledge ..thanks

You cant run away from things in life when things get hard.You have a gambling problem get help for that first.And then try and pay off the loan bit by bit its only 35k .think you need to grow a pair of them and stand up and be a man,If you run away the tax payer will get caught for the bill one way or another.You have a problem everyone makes mistakes but if you run hope u get whats coming to u if i was on a jury would have no pity for ya.If your not a child grow up in a few years you could have you life back on track then to be looking over your shoulder al the time.

I don't condone the OP's approach, but I do think some of the responses have been OTT. I don't see the huge difference between him looking for advice hear and business owners seeking professional advice about liquidating their business, which isn't unusual.

Really? Well for a start, acting upon professional advice about liquidating a business is generally legal even if you think it is morally dubious in some way.

Simply fleeing from this debt is probably illegal (don't know the exact circumstances) certainly unwise, and morally wrong almost any way you look at it.

Simply fleeing from this debt is probably illegal (don't know the exact circumstances) certainly unwise, and morally wrong almost any way you look at it.
Perhaps posters should check out their 'probably's before rushing to attack.

Perhaps posters should check out their 'probably's before rushing to attack.

I am not a legal eagle, but I thought once you borrow money you enter into a legally binding contract, that you will repay said money.

If you default intentionally on loan at worst you have stolen someones money and at best broken a legally binding contract.

I completely agree with you, and furthermore who are the real villians, we won't see any bankers or regulators lose their pensions/jobs/assets or go to jail for their criminally irresponsibly lending practices.

The OP borrowed money for gambling, he needs help with the gambling problem which he said he is trying to sort out, and needs also to learn financial management. He is unlikely to be pursued in Oz and once the statute of limitations is up he can return to Ireland, hopefully wiser and more mature.

any chance of you earning enough abroad to be able to tackle your debts here..maybe come to some agreement on interest before you go??,,if not when you come back in a few years you could owe way way more...I think judgement interest is calculated at around 8 per cent

ps...ignore what people say about statue of limitations...a debt will be governed by statue of limitation if not proven in court..once judgement has been obtained it is forever..that's why financial institutions go for judgements and just let them sit

I completely agree with you, and furthermore who are the real villians, we won't see any bankers or regulators lose their pensions/jobs/assets or go to jail for their criminally irresponsibly lending practices.

The OP borrowed money for gambling, he needs help with the gambling problem which he said he is trying to sort out, and needs also to learn financial management. He is unlikely to be pursued in Oz and once the statute of limitations is up he can return to Ireland, hopefully wiser and more mature.

Thats such a cop out. Everyone could come up with reasons to default paying back big loans for whatever reason:

1 My partner is sick, need to pay medical bills.
2 my house is crap need to improve it
3 I need a better car
4 I have made bad financial decisions and need to borrow to wipe out many loans.
5 have drug problem
6 drink problem
7 lost job
8 keep kids in school/clothes/whatever
9etc etc etc

Self responsibility is what is lacking in this case. If OP runs now he will spend his life running from problems that with hard work and commitment are possible to over come.

In these days where everything is available online quickly I've no doubt that the OP will have no chance of getting credit or mortgage in Oz. Bank will seek Irish credit ratings/references.

In these days where everything is available online quickly I've no doubt that the OP will have no chance of getting credit or mortgage in Oz. Bank will seek Irish credit ratings/references.

So far on AAM nobody has proven that anyone whose done a runner has had to pay for it or had repurcussions such as no credit abroad.

I believe in personal responsibility but I'm sick of those at the top getting away with everything. The recent scandals has left me wondering if I'm the stupid one, paying all my debts, saving, building for my kids future, paying taxes, paying more taxes to fund the mistakes of the people in charge.............. OP is probably a young person who has made quite a few mistakes, my point is he's not the only one but he doesn't get to go off into the sunset with the loot.............

Really? How? The DPA will prevent the data being sent outside the EU.
OZ banks to not have access to Irish records nor do they ask.
Have you proof?

So far on AAM nobody has proven that anyone whose done a runner has had to pay for it or had repurcussions such as no credit abroad.

I believe in personal responsibility but I'm sick of those at the top getting away with everything. The recent scandals has left me wondering if I'm the stupid one, paying all my debts, saving, building for my kids future, paying taxes, paying more taxes to fund the mistakes of the people in charge.............. OP is probably a young person who has made quite a few mistakes, my point is he's not the only one but he doesn't get to go off into the sunset with the loot.............
The law in this country is a rogues charter and people successfully dodge debts forever and many do leg it to warmer climates with no comeback.

There are times one would be better doing the same. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking so. This country is a joke.

Back