Kids starting job... living at home ... how much "rent" should they pay?

I'm absolutely amazed at the tone and content of some of the responses here. There seems to be a simmering intergenerational resentment that I find hard to fathom. The way I look at it, building wealth is a multi-generational family project. We have, or should have, evolved past the "push them out of the nest" strategy of the animal kingdom! Each succeeding generation should aspire to leave the overall family situation in a healthier financial state than they were born into themselves.

To me, this is a fundamental parental responsibility. It's your choice to have them, after all, so do right by them! First comes education in basic values of self reliance and responsibility, so teach them to cook, clean, shop, tidy, do laundry and basic household, garden and car maintenance. That goes for boys AND girls, BTW.

Then comes education in financial matters and the instilling of good habits. Explain how the family finances work, and what goals the family is working towards. This includes avoiding/minimizing short term debt, financing the family home and making provision for parental pensions, children's education and other investments.

Then it's education and getting them on a good career and financial trajectory. Make it clear that you will help to the extent you can to get them set up and established but that it's ultimately their own responsibility.

The key thing here is balance. You shouldn't go beyond what you can reasonably afford. And parents need to look after their own essential needs like mortgage and pension provision, before helping out adult children.

Applying these principles, I would suggest that the "rent" question solves itself. As long as they want to stay at home, that's fine, they are welcome, it's the family home after all. .It should come fairly naturally that they help out a bit at home, both by doing a fair share of the household work (which they've learned to do anyway) and by picking up expenses like groceries, the odd bill, or perhaps buy some furniture or other stuff for the house.

Encourage them to save to buy a place of their own. Matching their savings, euro for euro, is a good idea if you can afford it. (Again, parental assistance should not be at the expense of necessary parental pension provision, or - worse still - equity release from the family home.) If they do want to move out and rent, crunch the numbers with them and show how that eats into savings potential and lengthens the time before they can buy. Then it's their choice.

And instil the idea that what you're now doing for them, should hopefully allow them to do likewise for their children (your grandchildren) when that time comes.

Finally, tell them what provisions you've made in your wills and give them an idea of what they might expect to get - hopefully in many decades time!

i didnt see any intergenerational resentment at all to be honest. While i agree with some of your post, the overarching tone seems to be let them live at home as long as they want. If you think thats healthy then i would fundamentally disagree, young adults need independence and need to grow up and spread their wings. If there is a defined period where someone is actively saving towards a goal, then that makes sense but otherwise i dont think its healthy.

i didnt see any intergenerational resentment at all to be honest. While i agree with some of your post, the overarching tone seems to be let them live at home as long as they want. If you think thats healthy then i would fundamentally disagree, young adults need independence and need to grow up and spread their wings. If there is a defined period where someone is actively saving towards a goal, then that makes sense but otherwise i dont think its healthy.
Yes, but with the massive concentration of wealth in the older generation over the last 12 years it is much harder for young people to spread their wings. We have used made up money to replace our wealth since the crash and that is the main driver of house price increases and the stock market boom that's replaced our pension pot losses. It has also caused a corresponding devaluation of labour in real terms. That means our kids end up having to stay at home longer. We can't have it both ways; we mortgaged their future to replace out wealth, we can't now tell them to get out there and make their way in the world when our selfishness has made that so much harder than it was when we were starting off.

Any intergenerational resentment should be aimed squarely at us the parents.

Yes, but with the massive concentration of wealth in the older generation over the last 12 years it is much harder for young people to spread their wings. We have used made up money to replace our wealth since the crash and that is the main driver of house price increases and the stock market boom that's replaced our pension pot losses. It has also caused a corresponding devaluation of labour in real terms. That means our kids end up having to stay at home longer. We can't have it both ways; we mortgaged their future to replace out wealth, we can't now tell them to get out there and make their way in the world when our selfishness has made that so much harder than it was when we were starting off.

1. It has never been easier for young people to spread their wings. Bank of Mom and Dad, cheap air travel, university education, labour laws all contribute to the welfare of our youth.
2. Us older folks are not using any made up money. We earned the stuff through thick and thin. No Nanny State existed for us. And now it's about time we thought of ourselves first (for a change).
3. Us Oldies but Goldies never caused any devaluation of the Euro, blew the stock market or advised the banks to lend too much to people who were never going to repay. We're too wise, something that is missing from the mouths of those who are coming after us.
4. We worked, we had no PUP. It was work or starve. When I started working fulltime there was no five day week, little trade union representation, and a system that taxed us to the hilt.
5. When I look back I don't see how intergenerational resentment should be aimed at us.

1. It has never been easier for young people to spread their wings. Bank of Mom and Dad, cheap air travel, university education, labour laws all contribute to the welfare of our youth.
Bank of Mum and Dad? How upper middle class of you.
2. Us older folks are not using any made up money. We earned the stuff through thick and thin. No Nanny State existed for us. And now it's about time we thought of ourselves first (for a change).
I remember the 80's. There was Dole and Welfare around back then. My mother grew up in a Council House. That was "Nanny State".
3. Us Oldies but Goldies never caused any devaluation of the Euro, blew the stock market or advised the banks to lend too much to people who were never going to repay. We're too wise, something that is missing from the mouths of those who are coming after us.
4. We worked, we had no PUP. It was work or starve. When I started working fulltime there was no five day week, little trade union representation, and a system that taxed us to the hilt.
Yes, and when the stock market did collapse and property prices collapsed governments (made up of older people) made up a load of money to re-inflate the economy and the price of property. That's where the money in the bank of Mum and Dad came from. You may well have earned it but it was wiped out in the crash. It was gone, a good half of it, and it replaced by made up money which was a result of a political decision.
5. When I look back I don't see how intergenerational resentment should be aimed at us.
Open both eyes.
Do you acknowledge that there was a financial collapse that resulted in a property price crash?
Do you acknowledge that international money supply has doubled since then and that money had been the main driver in stock market and property price increases?
Do you acknowledge that without State intervention the Banks would have collapsed and your Savings would be gone?
Do you acknowledge that without massive borrowing your State pension would be gone?
Do you acknowledge that you won't be repaying that money?

Do you see the link between the above and high property and rental prices?

im not the older generation, nor the younger generation to be fair, but i started working say 16/17 years ago, i got a placement at a large accounting firm, it paid 28k a year starting i think, one of the OP's kids is starting on 70 odd with add ons to come, that kid cant afford to spread their wings??? and i could.

i started working in dublin 17 years ago in the IFSC on 23000 euros a year. I afforded rent, living, travelling home and savings on that.

My thirty year old, qualified in the same discipline as myself, is earning a larger salary than I ever did with one of the big MNCs. I'm both delighted for her and envious at the same time. That kind of job didn't exist at that salary level back in the day. Point is some things are better for this generation, some are worse - swings and roundabouts.

My thirty year old, qualified in the same discipline as myself, is earning a larger salary than I ever did with one of the big MNCs. I'm both delighted for her and envious at the same time. That kind of job didn't exist at that salary level back in the day. Point is some things are better for this generation, some are worse - swings and roundabouts.
I bet she couldn't buy your house though.
I agree that some things are better but many of the important things are worse. When I bought my first apartment in 1993 it cost €70k. That apartment is now with €400k. Rent was €500 a month. It's now €2500 a month. Wages haven't got up five fold since then, they have doubled. In real terms rent is 2.5 times higher and prices are nearly 3 times higher. Is your daughter earning 3 times what you earned?

Last edited:
Back