Key Post: Attic Insulation.

we have scattered badly done layer of fibreglass itchy stuff down already but we need twice the amount that is down according to halo guy. so plan to fill in missing areas and then place these blankets over the joists at right angles. The blacket is 200mm thick so hopefully more cosy house not leting heat escape to the attic.

Hi,

I've recently insulated my attic floor. Put down 100m between the joists and 200m perpendicular to them. I've read here to keep underneath the water tank insulation-free to prevent freezing, but the question is: I am about to insulate the water tank - do I insulate the bottom of it also or do I leave this bare so that the heat rising from underneath it will get through? Also, should I cover the tank with an insulated top?
Tx
F

Hi,

http://www.sheepwoolinsulation.ie/support/faq.asp

I've recently insulated my attic floor. Put down 100m between the joists and 200m perpendicular to them. I've read here to keep underneath the water tank insulation-free to prevent freezing, but the question is: I am about to insulate the water tank - do I insulate the bottom of it also or do I leave this bare so that the heat rising from underneath it will get through? Also, should I cover the tank with an insulated top?
Tx
F

Hi Firefly :rolleyes: :eek:

http://www.sheepwoolinsulation.ie/support/faq.asp

Your water tank should first be sealed to prevent dust and unwanted material from entering your supply. The tank should then be insulated around and on top to effectively keep it within the warm part of the house. Leave under the tank uninsulated, this way warm air from the room below will reduce the chances of your tank freezing in severe conditions.

F.

How did you find this company

and what sort of price did they quote for insulating the attic, ours is not a straight forward one as whilst partially floored it needs insulating in the eaves replacing which are difficult to access.

i know it can be done DIY but dont have time and dont fancy a few days crawling around attic like an eejit.

I have this same problem, ceiling upstairs is sloped down to eaves. You would need to be extremely small and sprightly to get in there to stuff insulation down into that area. Particularly in the corners, and I imagine that there is actually no insulation whatsoever above my bathroom.

Risk is also that you block up the eaves. However, it has been suggested to me that most old houses' roofs are not airtight at all meaning that risk of blocking up eaves is very minimal.

Any thoughts on tackling this. There is no way I am going to knock out the plasterboard from below.

Attic completed (thank god) space blankets brillant to handle and so easy to put into position but very costly, we ended up using 200mm thick knauf rolls from ganleys in athlone (20€ a roll) over rooms like unused bedrooms and bathrooms. these were hard for a female to handle and also hard to cut. first roll after lugging into corner of eaves found I couldnt roll it out as rafter too low so had to remove again and cut one small section off and then put in larger roll.

hard to tell if making a difference as weather temp so warm outside and we'v no fire on for weeks but like to think money spent is well spent.

Back