Key Post: Attic Insulation.

Thanks for the info. I've called around most of the places listed and the likes of Brooks, Chadwicks etc seem far more expensive than B&Q etc

B&Q have shops own brand mineral fibre for €13.35 a roll - 200mm depth and 5.45sq mtr - sales there say it's made from the same material as what Brooks etc sells - is this true or should I pay the €22 on average for the same material that Brooks etc sells for a brand name?

Hi niallo34,
If you compress any fibrous insulation like mineral fibre you reduce it's thermal resistance, which means you will not achieve the level of performance you require, if you are flooring out the attic look at some other materials, if you are just going to use it for storage then raise the base above the level of the mineral fibre, I hope this helps.

What other materials

Hi
There's not much diffirence between them, if it comes down to price I'd go with B&Q, it's up to you.

To AlbacoreA,
As I work with foam insulation anything I say will seem to promote it's use, but there are other fibrous materials like Cotton, Wool, Hemp and some products made from Straw, these are all natural produce so will last for a long time, so in the long run will be far more cost effecitve, but they all suffer from the same problem as mineral fibre, they need vapour and air barriers as air and moisture movement will lower there thermal resistance, so they do not perform as good as they do in a lab. Foam insulation is not effected by moisture and in spray form neither is it by air-movement, and last for the life time of a building, have a look at a web site called www.sprayfoam.com any information you may require is there.

Thanks again for the very informative info.

I know it's a kind of how long is a piece of string question but generally how many square meters are there in an average three bed semi attic?

Hi,
An average 3 bed is about 55msq floor area, under the rafter, for a 2 pitch add about 10%, for a 3 pitch 15%, and a 4 side pitch add about 20%, these are approx.

although sprayfoam.com is a good resource, you may find a more simple and direct answer on this site: http://www.dura-foam.com/ You'll find concise explanations on spray foam insulation related topics, including foam roofing and spray foam insulation.

Re: Am I just a big worrier?

If you have downlighters in your attic then keep all insulation a min 150mm from the fitting and transformer.
This is highlighted in the sei website.

What is the name of the insulation below. I couldn't find it there.

"B&Q have shops own brand mineral fibre for €13.35 a roll - 200mm depth and 5.45sq mtr"

My house is about twenty years old.,quite cold,a bungalow. Can someone tell me what is the best type of Wall Insulation that can be pumped into the walls , if it is expensive and if there are good points and bad points .
Thanks

Joer, I reckon given your situation you could gain a lot of knowledge for free by availing of the ESBs FREE Halo survey. This should be a good start. You could then post up here for advice and to clarify the details.

To answer your question I think more information is needed, you need to ascertain the type of construction of your walls this will then allow people to advise you.

For example if your house is like, mine 9" hollow blocks, there is no continuos cavity and hence this can't be pumped. Often the best way is to look at your walls via the air vents or the ESB box.

You may have done all this before, so forgive me if so! Am no expert myself but have reviewed my options and learned a bit.

My house is about twenty years old.,quite cold,a bungalow. Can someone tell me what is the best type of Wall Insulation that can be pumped into the walls , if it is expensive and if there are good points and bad points .
Thanks

Thanks Majj,my house has the two rows of 4inch blocks with insulation in between.It is still a cold house. I have been told about the fibers and glue combination,from the people who use it but i have yet to hear from someone who has had it done.I would love to hear whether they noticed an improvement ,how much of an improvement,and roughly how long it took to notice.
Thanks

Hi,

A bit confused.com this morning. I am looking to lay fibre insulation in my attic. Want to put down 300m. I can buy 100m in B&Q in rolls, but have fread that it is better to put the top layer running perpendicular to the lower layer. Do these need to be cut or just rolled out over the joists?

Thanks

F

hi all i was just wondering has anyone used the blown in loose fill insulation in their attic?somethin like cellulose.my partner suffers from asthma and just wondering would it b dusty as its a loose material.

hi all i was just wondering has anyone used the blown in loose fill insulation in their attic?somethin like cellulose.my partner suffers from asthma and just wondering would it b dusty as its a loose material.

My parents got this done a couple of years ago. My mother also suffers with asthma, but has reported no ill-effects from it.

It will make any subsequent work in the attic difficult though. If you need any storage space, you'd be best use conventional insulation and flooring over this area prior to having the rest of it blown. The blown insulation also completely covers all wiring and light fittings, I'd also have niggling concerns about maintaining the ventilation gaps at the eaves.
Leo

thanks for that leo
i`ve made boxes to cover the light fittings but big enough so the transformers are not too near the fittings.as for storage i`ve raised the floor in half the attic to allow the insulation underneath.the walls are currently in the process of being blown in(cellulose) and the house is extremly dusty.my biggest fear is not being able to enter attic because of dust.

In my experience, the attic is much less dusty than when they had the old fiber glass insulation up there.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best type of insualtion roll to use for rolling down above the ceiling / between the joists? Also, would the beading be better?

Ta

Had halo survey carried out who pointed out need for attic insualtion.

B&Q have knauf blankets 200mm thick 370w by 4000l for €13.70 buy two get one free.

Had been trying to purchase downlight covers but was told by insulation company and two electrical stores, buy 6inch wavin pipe which is fireproof and rodent proof and cut twice as high as insulation, as they find the covers leds to more blown bulbs as heat builds up (or you can replace trad bulbs with led's for €10 each).

Hi Sandals,

So is the idea to roll out the rolls of fibre between the joist and then just lay these blankets from B&Q over them to bring it up to 200m?

Another Q - I've been reading that fibre contracts over time - is it possible to put down rockwoll between the joists and then these B&Q blankets over, or does the type of insulation have to be the same?

Thanks

F

Back