Ireland Vs France-The French Goal!!

FIFA have now replied to the request from the FAI saying there cannot be a replay. They seem to be willing to continue with a fundamentally flawed method of referring games. That will only lead to more unfair decisions. I would think that it is almost inevitable that there will be some incorrect decisions made in the World Cup 2010 that are avoidable. FIFA obviously think they are not competent enough to introduce video evidence into soccer in a way that makes the game better.

I guess the message is that it is okay to cheat as long as you don’t get caught. And if you don’t get caught, then the referee is in the wrong. And if the game is over, we don’t have much right to give out about it or we are sore losers, so we just have to accept it. Well 225,000 people have signed up to the Facebook petition for a replay. Nothing has yet been said that leads me to the conclusion that it is not right to complain about this. Cheating is wrong! When does cheating stop being wrong and start being beyond criticism? When the referee doesn’t see it? No! When the game is over? No! When those at FIFA say there will be no replay? No!

This side of sport is absolutely disgusting. I don’t blame the English one bit for giving out about The Hand of God incident for 23 years. I have much more time for a player like Gary Lineker than I would have for a cheat like Thierry Henry. That French President Sarkozy is no better! He can keep his apology to himself as far as I am concerned. If he was a proper leader, he would call for a replay, and not just give an apology. The French team have not earned their place in the World Cup 2010. They stole it. As far as I am concerned and they should acknowledge that and tell FIFA they will replay the game at a neutral ground. Either that or go to South Africa in shame!

And to make it worse, Henry has now said he'd like to have a replay but its not his call. Just after FIFA say its not going to happen. How low can this guy get?

Well look on the bright side no more World Cup means no more soccer matches and that's gotta be a good thing as there are way too many of them ;) Even the other night it went on far too long with the extra time and all that. It's been nothing but football on the news as well, it's time to put an end to it, it's not like it was the end of the world or something.:rolleyes:

Personally, I agree with Trappatoni - the game is over and a replay is impossible. It is cruel justice but such is life. I have also heard what Roy Keane has said this morning. I am no fan of Keane and thought his behaviour in Saipan was disgraceful, but he did make a few good points in his interview. He stated ''why was the ball not cleared?'' This is very valid. For me, the big turning point was when John O'Shea went off injured. When I saw McShane coming on, I turned to my wife who knows nothing about football and said '' oh my God here is an accident waiting to happen.'' The guy is accident prone. Just look at his position for the goal. A free taken near the halfway line should never have reached Henry in the first place. Without doubt O'Shea would never have allowed the ball get to him. Like everybody, I still feel gutted. The team were absolutely marvellous and a credit to Ireland. What a lift qualifying would have given the country. Its going to be a horrible beginning to December, watching the World Cup draw (with France in and us out) on December 4th and then the Budget on December 9th.

Henry calls for replay - smacks of PR and window dressing to me... damage is done for us and Henrys image, at 33 I don't think he has time to recover like say Maradona and his second Goal against England in 1986.

Oldtimer, I'm afraid I can't agree with you on Keane. I used to like the guy but now he just tries to say something controversial everytime he speaks. Hes just using this as a stick to beat the FAI with. He says "What goes around comes around". What does this mean? That Ireland deserve to be knocked out by unfair means?

Roy states that Ireland should have defended the freekick better. Maybe he should direct some of this advice to his own players!

Well look on the bright side no more World Cup means no more soccer matches and that's gotta be a good thing as there are way too many of them ;) Even the other night it went on far too long with the extra time and all that. It's been nothing but football on the news as well, it's time to put an end to it, it's not like it was the end of the world or something.:rolleyes:

So the World Cup has been cancelled - Unbelieveable this story just grow and grows

Anybody who wants to see Ireland and France play again do so here

I got France 45-1 Ireland

How can we harness the anger over the Henry handball and direct it to the people who have inflicted or about to inflict other injustices on us e.g. FF, unscrupulous developers, senior bankers, unions etc etc?

Have I picked this up wrong? I don't want to give unnecessary glimmers of hope to the eternally optimistic but I could have sworn I heard, on the radio this evening, something along the lines of the following from FIFA:

"Well Ireland want a replay, Henry wants a replay, so it's up to the French football authorities"

Might this actually happen then?!

Have I picked this up wrong? I don't want to give unnecessary glimmers of hope to the eternally optimistic but I could have sworn I heard, on the radio this evening, something along the lines of the following from FIFA:

"Well Ireland want a replay, Henry wants a replay, so it's up to the French football authorities"

Might this actually happen then?!

Zero chance. The reason Henry said it was because he knew the FFF would say no (in fact they had already said no by the time he said it should be replayed - just to try to gain some of his credibility back - tosser).

FIFA would NEVER allow it either, and they are the important ones.

Its all ancient history I'm afraid. Time to move on.

Only good that would potentially come out of all this is that FIFA might start to use video technology in the near future. But I'd be surprised to see that as they are so backward thinking.

Zero chance. The reason Henry said it was because he knew the FFF would say no (in fact they had already said no by the time he said it should be replayed - just to try to gain some of his credibility back - tosser).

FIFA would NEVER allow it either, and they are the important ones.

Its all ancient history I'm afraid. Time to move on.

Only good that would potentially come out of all this is that FIFA might start to use video technology in the near future. But I'd be surprised to see that as they are so backward thinking.

I think there would be more chance of video tech coming in if Ireland had denied France a place in the WC in the same circumstances. If anything FIFA will now brush the whole episode under the carpet.

have ye stopped French kissing too? ;)
No;). But kissing is a universal paradox - not just a French one. No Gillette razors will ever be in our salle de bain. Gillette may then have a rethink about paying obscene money to this arrogant cheat. Remember it is the buying public that provide the money that ultimately end up in Henry's pocket. We all have a say in how much he earns. If you decide not to tune in to a PPV channel for a match that he is playing in, the advertisers soon get the message. Today, four bottles of Chilean wine will be my weekly buy. In case you're worried about our intake, this is well inside the health guidelines for two people.:) Joking aside, we are just trying to get the message through a little bit.

Roy Keane in an interview with sky T.V. referred to an earlier qualifying game against Georgia, when we were gifted a penalty over nothing by the referee. Robbie Keane scored the penalty.No one ,not even the Georgians asked for a replay.I`d almost forgotten that incident myself.There is luck in sport and bad luck...we were unlucky that the match officials didn`t spot the handball.If the situation was reversed there is no way Ireland would offer France a replay.It is understandable that everyone is emotional and very disappointed, becuse it was the one thing a lot of people used as a kind of escape from the realities of life.However if we persist with our moan...we will lose any bit of sympathy we might have and be seen as seriously sore losers and and people will question our mentality.
Even if France offered us a replay and I for one hope they don`t, would FIFA allow it? Just for the sake of argument...if we got our replay and got a handball goal and won because of it would we then offer the french another replay?
We have really got to get over this...especially the stupid FAI and pathetic Dermot Aherne both asking for a replay make us look like a south american banana republic.
The next qualifying matches for EURO 2012 will begin next sept/oct and this episode will be just a memory. Finally to quote our great leader B.Cowan....
WE HAVE GOT TO GET REAL!!!!!!

Sunrock, You are absolutely right

How dare we expect the right thing to be done.

No;). But kissing is a universal paradox - not just a French one. No Gillette razors will ever be in our salle de bain. Gillette may then have a rethink about paying obscene money to this arrogant cheat. Remember it is the buying public that provide the money that ultimately end up in Henry's pocket. We all have a say in how much he earns. If you decide not to tune in to a PPV channel for a match that he is playing in, the advertisers soon get the message. Today, four bottles of Chilean wine will be my weekly buy. In case you're worried about our intake, this is well inside the health guidelines for two people.:) Joking aside, we are just trying to get the message through a little bit.

But what about the linesman? Where is he from? I feel he is more to blame followed by the referee (Sweden) and then Henry. The linesman had a clear view of it and the offside. Robbie Keane handled the ball 2 or 3 times in that match but they were all spotted and a free kick awarded.

This replay thing is starting to look like bad losers and for the government to be getting involved is kinda sickening. I hope they do bring in video analysis though.

This issue is going like the Roy Keane saga - it is the people that know least about football that have the most to say...

Agreed. I remember my Granny being up in arms at this Roy Keane 'brat' in 2002 even though she had never watched a game of soccer in her entire life. Same happening again wrt Mr. Henry.

Back