Ikea - Dublin

byrnsey09

Hi all, has anyone been to Ikea in Dublin and is it worth the trip? We're building our first house & would take the trip up if its worthwhile and good quality! Thanks

Totally worth the trip i think, was there over the weekend. If you are not sure, why not browse online first to see if you are interested in anything. Quality, their range is so huge you can get both good and bad quality.

Even if you dont buy anything it is great for ideas for room layouts etc.

I went over there this weekend. It was mayhem , we were all like cattles to the slaughter. I would recommend not going there until all the fuss dies down. It is very hard to shop in cramped conditions, so I probably missed alot of stuff.

Alot of the items are very reasonable, but again I would be thinking about the quality and I am not sure it is that high quality.

We are in a similar position and I think it is worth the trip- some of the furniture is really nice and compared to the prices for furniture in other furniture shops you will definitely see huge differences...
The kitchens in particular are very good quality..
If you have a lot of furniture to buy, i think a few Ikea pieces will save you big money...
I disagree with other poster who said the quality is bad...Ikea got their name and gained their reputation on good quality not bad...
Finally if you do go,go early- We went early on Sat morn-just after opening time- got parked easily near the door and no huge crowds..busy but not mobbed...by lunch time it was very very busy...we left about 2.30 and the queues of cars to get in was mad...I imagine if you go durinh the week near opening time..it wouldnt be too bad

Don't forget you still have to build the stuff after you buy it. Thanks to IKEA, I spent almost 6 hours of my Saturday building a wardrobe. And the instructions had some simple mistakes in them and one of the pieces didn't have a hole where it should have had but it didn't make any difference.

And it is often quite easy to misassemble the pieces and have to take it apart again - though this didn't happen to me, it could have because the instructions were not clear enough.

I agree with rosey, I think the quality is good. With most furniture items they have cheap, mid range and expensive items. I purchased bedroom dresser and lockers 18months ago from Belfast and they still look great, are very solid and I was able to put them together myself.
Definetly worth the trip even if you just pick up small bits!

Enjoy!

But it's Ikea not a Chippendale auction house.

+1

IKEA is great for items that will be used for a couple of years - not for family heirlooms. For things like the first furnishing of a house or apartment, or for items in a kids bedroom that they'll grow out of, it's great.

Although it's flatpack, it is good quality, as far as flatpack quality goes.

I went over there this weekend. It was mayhem , we were all like cattles to the slaughter. I would recommend not going there until all the fuss dies down. It is very hard to shop in cramped conditions, so I probably missed alot of stuff.

Alot of the items are very reasonable, but again I would be thinking about the quality and I am not sure it is that high quality.

I used to live near the IKEA in Warrington, UK. Just to say that in all the years and even today the fuss never dies down. Weekends are and continue to be mental at that place. It's always best to look at weekdays if possible.

I think IKEA is great. I bought a cheap bed and cheap wardrobes in an IKEA store abroad in 1992 and I still have them and they are in perfect condition - this is even after dismantling them and reassembling them at least 4 times to move house etc.

Would recommend not going at weekends - mid week early would be the best time as you get to see everything without having to fight your way around.

Some of their items come with guarantees of 10 and even 25 years so the quality cant be that bad, Defiitely do not go at a weekend though unless you have a death wish ;)

Don't forget to check opening times - according to website it doesn't open until 11am every day except Saturday when it opens at 10 am, so no point in aiming to get there at the crack of dawn!

+1

IKEA is great for items that will be used for a couple of years - not for family heirlooms. For things like the first furnishing of a house or apartment, or for items in a kids bedroom that they'll grow out of, it's great.

Although it's flatpack, it is good quality, as far as flatpack quality goes.

It lasts OK in my experience, and far more than a couple of years. I bought a chest of drawers 16 years ago for my eldest. It has been in use ever since and apart from tightening the bolts a couple of times it is still in great shape.

Ikea - Reviews

Who's been and bought in NEW IKEA? What do you think of selection and quality? Is it good value compared to other outlets?

We were there last Tuesday around 12pm - in our innocence thought it would be a good day/time of day to go. How wrong we were! It was just mental. Nobody was following the arrows, everyone milling around like headless chickens. Also there were a lot of children/teenagers there with their parents so it seemed to be a bit of a day out for them.

I'd wait till the kids go back to school at least. We couldn't wait to get out of there - we did pick up a few bits but it was just too busy and I wouldn't go back for a good while. I'd also second the poster who said there was stuff sold out - we saw a lot of shelves that were empty (due to being sold out) - not big stuff, smaller stuff. I think that's great though, means they've had a great start but they should try and get the shelves restocked faster than that.

Really thought the kitchens stood out though, there was a wooden one in particular that I thought was beautiful and a bit different to the norm.

I can't imagine what it would be like on a weekend!!! I do know there were signs on the M50 on the Bank holiday weekend saying that the Ikea carpark was full!!!

M

Re: Ikea - Reviews

I was there yesterday and it was my first time in an Ikea store. I must say I do think they seem to think of everything at the store to assist the customer, creche area, food court, toilet, map, pencils, order sheet etc,
I bought a few small bits and plan to buy two or three bigger pieces.
I thought the quality varied on a lot of things, some sofas seemed flimsy, some seemed more sturdy. I didn't like the feel of some of the bed linen, but others seemed great.
I think it would very much depend on what you are kitting out as to what items you would buy or not. I did think it was good value on lots of things.

Re: Ikea - Reviews

I think the one in Belfast has a better kinda layout to it. maybe i'm wrong, i just think the Ballymun store seems a bit scattered. Saying that the day i was there the human traffic would drive you crazy, which didn't help. Much the same idea as the northern store as they are both the same crowd. Prices are kinda the same in both stores too, but i'd watch out for the price hike in Ballymun when all the media attention has died down from it.

Back