How To Live On Less

Someone commented above that some of the suggestions were a "bit Good Life" - it's often true that a more ecological approach to living results in a cash saving e.g. growing a couple of courgette plants in a container costs much less (even figuring in the cost of the container and compost/soil to fill it if you don't have a garden you can plant into) than buying the equivalent amount of courgettes over the course of a summer, I've found, I've switched to washable sanitary towels rather than boosting Always' profits every month, I don't use shampoo anymore (oatmeal dry scrubs and vinegar rinses are better I've found and also much cheaper than the shampoo du jour).

The forums at are a good source of information for this type of thing if anyone is interested.

Someone commented above that some of the suggestions were a "bit Good Life" - it's often true that a more ecological approach to living results in a cash saving e.g. growing a couple of courgette plants in a container costs much less (even figuring in the cost of the container and compost/soil to fill it if you don't have a garden you can plant into) than buying the equivalent amount of courgettes over the course of a summer, I've found, I've switched to washable sanitary towels rather than boosting Always' profits every month, I don't use shampoo anymore (oatmeal dry scrubs and vinegar rinses are better I've found and also much cheaper than the shampoo du jour).

The forums at are a good source of information for this type of thing if anyone is interested.

I agree with most of what you say Janet but washable sanitary towels?:eek: ... I draw the line...

I agree with most of what you say Janet but washable sanitary towels?:eek: ... I draw the line...

Well, I wasn't comfy with the idea of a mooncup so went for the easier option. You'd be surprised how the idea might grow on you once it's had time to sink into your subconscious :)

Seriously, though, for anyone interested (and with an hour or so to spare) this long, long, thread is very informative:

For what it's worth to get back to the main topice here, I've found that trying to eat seasonally and locally has greatly helped me to reduce my spending. I only buy ethically reared meat and so buy far less meat than before but it goes much further (partly because it's not just full of water which drains out during cooking and partly because I make sure to use every last bit of it). I rarely shop in supermarkets anymore at all except for a trip to Aldi every few months to stock up on pasta and tins of tomatoes (the organic, fair-trade versions are just too pricey to use for every day although I can recommend Noodle House pasta for anyone who's feeling flush). Otherwise I buy bread from a local bakery and shop at Marlay Park or Temple Bar market on a Saturday.

I've found, I've switched to washable sanitary towels rather than boosting Always' profits every month,

Surely that couldn't work unless you didn't leave the house for a week every month??? You couldn't seriously wash them out in work?

waiting on a hot date to arrive ? a spot of begging on the corner while you wait will do wonders for your cashflow . And dont forget to stuff old newspapers down your trousers to keep warm on those cold winter nights ;-)

And growing potatoes or cauliflower in your ears is surprisingly economical and space saving ;) lol

Surely that couldn't work unless you didn't leave the house for a week every month??? You couldn't seriously wash them out in work?

Will PM you on the basis of not wanting to sidetrack this thread into one with waaayyy too much information for some.

Otherwise I buy bread from a local bakery and shop at Marlay Park or Temple Bar market on a Saturday.
Food at farmers markets is very expensive, especially Marlay Park! Get up the road to Lidl and buy your fruit and veg there, it's nearly all sourced in Dublin, Meath and Kildare.

Food at farmers markets is very expensive, especially Marlay Park! Get up the road to Lidl and buy your fruit and veg there, it's nearly all sourced in Dublin, Meath and Kildare.

most of our local lidl's organic produce is from scotland :S

washable sanitary towels are fine

farmers market in Liffey Valley is said to be quite good

sign - you're hilarious :D

buying seasonally and locally makes more ecological sense as the methods used to grow out of season are hardly 'natural'

just a few of my own suggestions.
bring your rubbish to work daily in a small bag.
if you have a canteen,wait til others are finished eating and see what they have left behind then eat this.
if you go to the pub,do same as above.
go to your parents house or friends houses to read the papers.
if you are sick,try staying in bed until the ilness passes rather than go to the doctor.
ring all the local garages from work to see who has the cheapest petrol.
bargain for everything and always always ask for a discount.. there is no harm in asking
if buying clothes in any shop take the one that might have a mark or a defect and bargain for that at a reduced price.
pay your bills a month in arrears,this ensures you get the service first and pay later rather than the other wasy around

just a few of my own suggestions.
bring your rubbish to work daily in a small bag.
if you have a canteen,wait til others are finished eating and see what they have left behind then eat this.
if you go to the pub,do same as above.
go to your parents house or friends houses to read the papers.
if you are sick,try staying in bed until the ilness passes rather than go to the doctor.
ring all the local garages from work to see who has the cheapest petrol.
bargain for everything and always always ask for a discount.. there is no harm in asking

Please tell me these suggestions are not serious ....

Some of the comments are so funny...

Eating leftovers at your work canteen / local pub is my fav!

haha

Dont forget to turn up at funerals/wakes claiming to be a long lost school mate/war buddy/blood brother/amnesiac etc and drown your sorrows with free booze and food !

The free newspaper in the library/trashcan should have all the info you need in the classified/announcements section ;) hehe

Back