How To Live On Less

ooohhh so many questions :D

i don't eat the grapes either, but i have no qualms about the pringles

i'll give this a go anyhow:

Ecover is ecologically friendly
Having had two children in washable nappies i can guarantee this is cheaper and more environmentally friendly
Iron everything at once means iron all of your clothes at the same time :D
Dunnes Stores, Superquinn and Tescos have a full price refund policy
Stop buying paper everyday because even if you access the internet once a day you can read all the news then - you don't HAVE to stop - it's a choice not an order :D
MrKeane has covered the banking questions to my satisfaction
Waiting Lists - fair enough - i accept your point - but i am poor, so i wait [broken link removed]
-this might help those on long waiting lists
Mobiles - depends on your needs, i only pointed out extra-savings to be had
Eircom - hmmm Talktalk -hmmm Newtel - hmmm...yah i know i could go on and on but i'm not going to have the defamation card pulled on me again - sorry about that ClubMan

:D S.

ENTERTAINMENT
on www.play.com its cheaper to pay in sterling ;)

Play.com changed their policy recently. European customers from outside the UK will now be charged in Euro (there's a notice on their website). I used to buy in sterling and save a few cent, but can't any more.....

The difference should be marginal if you mean because the iron has to heat up each time you start an ironing session. I would be surprised if the savings were in the least bit significant.

heating up the element (2.4kW) alone is the equilvant of 3 hours TV
- 2 hours ironing is same as 8 hours TV

but you may be right - mind you isn't it the little things that all add up to big savings?

S.

You can also read most newspapers for free in any public library :)

And the sunday newspapers also appear there on Monday.

You can drive around without taxing your car for a month (or 2 or 3 if you have the balls for it) and then get the guards to stamp the form, its a bit daunting the first couple of times but if you go to a big garda station a bit away from where you live then you are fine, just tell them, if they ask, that you were off work sick or something.

The guards can only take a car off you if it is out of tax for 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someanne http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=398681#post398681
Always check your receipts – Dunnes are notorious for overcharging against the list price and they HAVE to refund you the FULL amount of the product

Any independent proof of this or is it simple a random piece of defamation?

I have proof of this, the last three times i shopped there i has overcharged, either by being charged for one item twice or, not getting the discount on a 2 for 1 offer.

Have had terrible experience with Dunnes overcharging as well. My mum also does a weekly shop and in the last three months roughly every second visit she was having to go up to customer services with her receipt when they overcharged. I have complained several times at customer services myself and have on several occassions pointed out to managers when i can grab them that the prices are not listed for various foods. Maybe others don't check their receipts especially with a big shop but its happened so often i can't believe we are the only ones and while i know mistakes can happen it just seems to keep happening. I think there was a thread about it a while back.

Individual pricing on every part was much better, sometimes you see an offer for say Cod fish, but 4 different products in the freezer, its difficult to know which is which.

Another thing about Dunnes is that cartons of grapes always have 25% extra free this appears to be a permanent thing so how can they justify it? The same for bacon (bradleys I think) its been advertised as 50% free for years, surely they should be obliged to put full price stock on the shelf for at least one week a month or something.

I remember seeing that in the UK, if you are buying something that is discounted they have a sign up saying what the full price was and how long it was on sale at the full price for. For example "this television was on sale is this store for £129 between 3/4/7 and 17/4/7" and is now on sale for £99

I talked to my bank once about fees and the stopped charging me for an overdraft facility, reduced my fees and refunded me 2 months fees as a goodwill gesture, the bank was bank of Ireland.
Surely the advice here is to move to free banking or nowadays to a 10% interest current account.

You can drive around without taxing your car for a month (or 2 or 3 if you have the balls for it) and then get the guards to stamp the form, its a bit daunting the first couple of times but if you go to a big garda station a bit away from where you live then you are fine, just tell them, if they ask, that you were off work sick or something.

The guards can only take a car off you if it is out of tax for 3 months.

This only affects cashflow...it doesn't save you any money. In fact it costs you money-trips to the cop shop, time value of money, petrol etc.

have a job where your work pays for your broadband and then set up your telephone through your broadband . . . . .*no eircom landline* . . . :)

I guess one would have to be quite handy with that sort of thing or know someone who can do it.

This only affects cashflow...it doesn't save you any money. In fact it costs you money-trips to the cop shop, time value of money, petrol etc.

It saves you money because there is no tax paid in the month you drive around without it. For example pay 3 months tax, Jan, Feb, Mar, no tax April and May, 1st of June into the cop shop tell them the car was off the road for April and May, guard stamps form, pay 3 months tax June, July, August and off you go again........

It saves you money because there is no tax paid in the month you drive around without it. For example pay 3 months tax, Jan, Feb, Mar, no tax April and May, 1st of June into the cop shop tell them the car was off the road for April and May, guard stamps form, pay 3 months tax June, July, August and off you go again........

There is! You pay arrears...I know because I just paid someone's yesterday

There is! You pay arrears...I know because I just paid someone's yesterday

You pay arrears if you don't claim the car was off the road. You should have declared the car was out of use for the couple of months it was out of tax.

Back