How to deter Cats

...they said that they had to let their cat out and they couldn’t keep it out of my garden.

Joking aside, this is it in a nutshell really.

A bit annoying but what can you do? They're not like dogs, they are not 'walked' (generally) and there is no law for owners to control them like dogs.

There is probably plenty of urine/faeces from mice/rats/birds maybe even foxes/badgers in many gardens anyway.

I've heard moth balls work. I'm trying them out at the moment ... will let u know how it goes!

Also orange and lemon peel is a great deterrant as they are hyper snesitive to the citric acid so i would put some peel around the breaking in area or along the wall the puddy cat like to strut along.

tried and tested. Works well except you have to replenish them often

Joking aside, this is it in a nutshell really.

A bit annoying but what can you do?
I don't care what cat owners do, that's not my problem, just keep your pets out of my garden.

BTW, does anyone know if a rat trap will kill a cat?

a cat now sits on the roof of my car every night. The car has a black soft top and the cats white hairs are all over it.

Intelligent kitty is just trying to point out the daftness of having a soft-top in a soggy country like ours.

Just wait until the cat starts sharpening it's claws on your nice soft-top..

Our house has 2 cats and one....yes black soft top. Yes they do sit on it, ( I used to go mad over this but there are much more serious things to worry about these days than middle-aged solar kitteh sunning itself) it's warm just as they sit on the bonnet of newly home cars. They don't claw it ( the Auto Glym bumper care goo that I use on it a few times a year to keep it in good shape seems to take care of that ) One made a mistake once of hopping up not realising top was down, ended up setting off the alarm, hasn't happened since. Apparently it is now becoming fashionable to "walk ones cat". Don't think I'd go quite that far.

Incidentally, is it just me or is the amount of dog poop on the footpaths multiplying? ( most cats generally use soft ground as they usually cover theirs so it's not them) I find it almost impossible to go for a walk anywhere now without having to run the obstacle course of samples. I thought that was classed as litter?

As to the getting rid, anything citrus smelling will deter. We had to do that to keep one of ours away from a prized bird of paradise plant, it works but you must renew it regularly.

Course if you could get them trained like this guy then the problem might be solved :D

i got special granules from B and q a couple of years ago as the cats were using my gardens to get from one place to another. You had to put piles of the granules at the start and finish of the cat run, one at the side entrance and one at the end of the garden were they get over the wall.. Apparantly the smell of the granules was too much for the cats...

Came back an hour later to find that a cat had pooed in the middle of one of the piles of granules...

I saw a lady walking her cat this morning! I swear, nearly lost control of the car.............unbelievable.

cats are great. i love the way this cat is teasing the dog!!! just shows cats do what they like and dont follow the rules. thats why i love cats. :))
get a kids water gun and spray the cat.do this every time she/he appears and he will soon get the message this is what the result of his visits will be. most cats hate water

Get a calm day, open your empty wheelie bin, put a plastic bin liner across the top of it and a small amount of cat food on top of the bag.
Wet the bag a wee bit if necessary so that it clings to the top of the bin and place the bag next to a wall or area where the cat can confidently jump on to the bag and fall into the bin. :)

The go out and get the cat and take it to an animal sanctuary...

I bought a standalone bird table. With some level of skill, the cat is able to climb the leg of the bird table and squeeze himself into the bird 'house'. He then waits there very still waiting for little birds to eat.

If you live near the zoo, maybe ask for a bag of tiger / lion poo for the garden. Apparently the scent of a bigger cat will scare the cat away.

I bought a standalone bird table. With some level of skill, the cat is able to climb the leg of the bird table and squeeze himself into the bird 'house'. He then waits there very still waiting for little birds to eat.
Well it is called a 'feeding table', so what do you expect? ;-)

I saw a lady walking her cat this morning! I swear, nearly lost control of the car.............unbelievable.
This is quite common in parts of the US, where house-bound and declawed cats (nails cut to avoid any scratches to furniture) will be walked by their owners for exercise.

you can get a cat trap delivered from www.trapman.co.uk - cage type thing with a spring loaded door to catch cats. what you do with them afterwards is up to you - could return them to owner or ...................

Get a calm day, open your empty wheelie bin, put a plastic bin liner across the top of it and a small amount of cat food on top of the bag.
Wet the bag a wee bit if necessary so that it clings to the top of the bin and place the bag next to a wall or area where the cat can confidently jump on to the bag and fall into the bin. :)

The go out and get the cat and take it to an animal sanctuary...

Wow, they must have very big dogs at the sanctuary if they take dead cats as feed...

If you want to walk your cat but feel embarrassed about a lead/leash then I recommend this;
cat-carrier.jpg

Back