How to deter Cats

indebtedgal

To follow on from an earlier post about how to deter teenagers from hanging around my house I am now on a similar quest to deter cats from loitering. My new neighbours have a cat who has assurance to burn and frequently visits my back garden or takes up residence on the front door step. A) I can't stand cats & B) I have a dog who is going to need serious therapy if the cat doesn't make itself scarce.

The cat is showing the dog absolutly no respect whatsoever and I would say goes out of her way to antagonise the poor woof. In the dead of night the dog will take to howling and whelping as the cat will be looking in the window at her.. The list is endless. It would be funny if it wasn't making the dog restless and nervous/agitated. Is there anything I can do to get the cat to give my place a wide berth.. (If i got a dry day, i'd give her a splash of the power hose! ;-)... (Don't start, i'm joking)

I haven't tried any of these techniques myself, but I did read up on them when a neighbour complained about the cats that had temporarily adopted me visiting her garden too.

Get some plastic bottles, remove any paper labels, fill them with water, and put them in your garden.

Place unwanted CDs with the reflective side up in your garden. Better yet, stick them to stakes and dot them around your garden.

The thinking behind both of these is that the cat will see its reflection and feel threatened, thinking it's another cat.

We have the same problem - well is has calmed down somewhat. this is what I resorted to!!

I have soaked the cat by coaxing it closer to me and then throwing a jug of water over it. Put used tea-bags soaked in Jeyes fluid along the wall as they dont really like this.... and after it started using my little veg patch as a litter, the last resort came..........my beloved got up really early one morning and just as the cat was doing its "usual" he let the dog out after it!!! we still see the cat but not that often now...........

my beloved got up really early one morning and just as the cat was doing its "usual" he let the dog out after it!!!

That's sort of how I sorted out the problem my neighbour was having - one of my dogs got hold of one of the cats (although it wasn't deliberate on my part - I didn't realise the cat was there until the dog pounced) and that cat hasn't been seen since. His siblings soon followed suit.

My dad swears by half filling up small clear plastic bottles with water. He then places these around his garden and allotments and that keeps a lot of things away. No idea why or how but it works.

No we tried the bottles of water........but to no avail. Can I just say though that the dog didnt actually get to touch the cat, just scared the living daylights out of it. Don't get me wrong, I like all animals but when they come near my hard work in the garden and pee and crap on it.....thats a different story!

Oh Indebtegal - did the teenager lurkers finally leave and if so what method did you use???

I have seen a cat spray deterrant on the site where I buy my pet supplies, www.zooplus.ie I also think you can get these in shops, I have heard through the grapevine that these can work!

BTW I'm not affiliated with the site, just a happy customer!

ad

I remember being told by a student vet to use a cheap super-soaker type water gun.

I guess if it gets wet enough, it wont come back. Its humane and cats hate getting dirty or wet, so it works!

Getting wet is like a big fear for them, so keep a 'loaded gun' by the door or window!!

They also hate lavender (plants) and the smell of mothballs. I remember reading somewhere to stick mothballs in a jar and punch holes in the lid for the scent to get out. I would try the water pistol first though!

Any decent pet store should have an our door repellent but it works on dogs as well. To be honest it sickens me when people react that way though. I had neighbours who poured water on my cat constantly when he passed through their garden. The same cat also came home one night after being hit with what the vet thought might have been a hurley, he needed stitches. The idea that you would 'pretend to be friendly' just to wet them is disgusting. Most house cats are friendly and approach strangers for affection.

Yeah, heard about the mothballs - apparently cats hate the smell of WD40 too. You could spray a bit around any perimeters/gates etc.

Sorry Wheels but how would you feel if I left my dog wander to crap and pee in your garden?

I didn't want the cat in my garden, I do like cats but as I said there was a lot of time and effort put into the garden and to have it ruined by an animal that wasn't even mine! Even my neighbours complain about this cat

I think spraying them with a little water is no harm. Certainly, taking a hurley or any other weapon for that matter to them isn't right, its down right cruel - but water is harmless and might just make them afraid to go back there.

My dad swears by half filling up small clear plastic bottles with water. He then places these around his garden and allotments and that keeps a lot of things away. No idea why or how but it works.

If you read my earlier post suggesting the same technique you would know why ...

Any decent pet store should have an our door repellent but it works on dogs as well. To be honest it sickens me when people react that way though. I had neighbours who poured water on my cat constantly when he passed through their garden. The same cat also came home one night after being hit with what the vet thought might have been a hurley, he needed stitches. The idea that you would 'pretend to be friendly' just to wet them is disgusting. Most house cats are friendly and approach strangers for affection.

Just to clarify I wouldn't dream of hitting any living creature with a hurley or anything other weapon, nor would i dream of invlicting pain or injuries on them. I have to turn off the telly when the ad comes on for the ispca or the english dogs home where the old dog is sitting out in the rain.. breaks my heart.. But i just hate cats and would go as far as saying i was frightened of them,, so i will probably give it a splash of water just enough to let it know its not welcome and let the dog know i am on her side. (the dog got attacked by another cat last year and got an infection on her nose where the cat got a swipe at her!)

Re the teenagers, a combination of things happened.. the other half had to be pulled off one of them one night by myself and only for me arriving when i did there would have been trouble, i think the lad in question saw me as mrs nice guy for the 1st time ever as i f**** the other half out of it but subsequently told the teen that he'd want to watch out as himself was a nut job and anything could happen! ;-)

Then i put out loads of bleach on the thing where they sit and they never even checked it only sat themselves down, a few school uniforms got the bin that night.. ha ha

Hi Indebtedgal,

I don't like the idea of throwing water over a cat, or using a water gun, as I think it is a bit cruel. The new neighbours might not be too impressed if they caught you doing that (and I am not suggesting that you were going to do this). I appreciate it that is is very annoying if they are soiling your garden and setting your dog off.

I have cats and I used to find that if I put the bin bag out with any leftover meats or bones in it that either my cats or neighbours cats would rip open the bag spilling my rubbish everywhere. What I do now is if I have anything in the bin I think they will like, I pour a capful of vinegar into the bag. So far it has worked and the bags haven't been touched. I think cats find vinegar a very strong smell and keep away.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps try putting a few drops on the flower bed and the step where the cat sits, and see what happens.

P.S. I like the way you got rid of the kids - bleach was a great idea :D Their parents must have gone mad.

I don't like the idea of throwing water over a cat, or using a water gun, as I think it is a bit cruel.

I don't think it's cruel. I dont think vets could recommend it if it was bad, I also searched Google and the RSPCA in Australia, Tasmania and the UK actually reccommend it.

[broken link removed]

I know this much- running after them and trying to kick them up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language as a deterrent is doomed to failure. They can run fast. I think they can also tell if you are half hearted about the kicking up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language bit.:mad:

I know this much- running after them and trying to kick them up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language as a deterrent is doomed to failure. They can run fast. I think they can also tell if you are half hearted about the kicking up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language bit.:mad:
:D LOL

But if you do catch them it is so satisfying.:D

Farmers used to nail the crows they shot to fence posts... does anyone know if this works with cats? ;)

Back