House freezing - how can I make best use of gas central heating system?

Sydthebeat...just saw your post from earlier about your house sq footage, number of people in it and average bills. Yours are so so much lower than mine. We have a 3 bed semi d also. probably around the same as yours. 2 adults, 2 cats, the odd spider and soon enough a baby living there and our latest bill was a staggering 230 Euro for 16 Oct to 23 Dec. We are by no means living in a sauna and the temp in the living room rarely exceeds 19 degrees.

We usually have the heating come in for half an hour in the mornings, and then between 3/4 to 6/7 in the evening. depends on the weather and such. We tried having the heating come on for half an hour ever so often during the day in an effort to keep the house somewhat warm.

Is it better to have the boiler dial turned lowish and leave the heating on for longer so? How do you have you settings?

FYI - we do not have a room thermostate. Just the dial at the boiler so we have no idea what temp range that reflects either.

Having a service person calling tomorrow to help with figuring out our problem as I am not willing to put up with high bills but neither am I willing to be sitting in the freezing cold with a newborn.

Thanks for the link Picassoman, will see how I get on with getting a smoke pen for myself.

I am waiting to hear about a stat.

My house is still cold unless i leave the heating on all day and set it low at the boiler so that it turns on and off. Even then it is only 19 degress but better than leaving it cool completeley. I am worried about cost though and yet do not want house to get damp or me to get cold... hate the cold. Does anyone do this and does it cost a fortune? Thanks

im on R/A and try to keep bills as low as possible.I was living in a 3 bed with gas,i set timmer from 6-9 am and 2.30-6pm but kept rads off in bedroom untill 4pm.door closed at all times.gas bill every 2 months 90-98e max.temp set to 22 degrees.im now in oil heating house got 300lts oil in november set timer for same times as above and checked oil leval only yesterday.i have used about half the oil.i think that if you keep the temp down to 15-18 degrees you could keep it on most of the day without have a huge gas bill.trial and error.

Given that the rough conversion from Celcius to Fahrenheit is to double and add 30, a temp of 22C is about 74 F. Surely that is far too hot a temp to be wearing clothes?

Back