Home Payments Ltd....

http://homepayments.com/

These people do provide a useful service

It may not be a service that is required by cosy, well of, middle class people who are both literate and numerate but I dont see that as any reason for it to be run down on AAM.

Who ran it down? Some people merely pointed out that there are more cost effective ways to deal with these issues that would save even more money for the punters involved. I also queried the lack of any IFSRA regulatory/authorisation notice on the site since checking for this is a standard prudent approach when choosing a financial intermediary. What feedback in particular did you think was not merited?

"Who ran it down?"

I guess Oysterman was the first. Read the thread & you decide who else

"Some people merely pointed out that there are more cost effective ways to deal with these issues that would save even more money for the punters involved."

What are the unbanked non literate and / or numerate to do ?

"What feedback in particular did you think was not merited"

How about

"something fishy going on here"

and

"it could be a registered company from 1963 but one that engaged in selling burgers n chips until 2004"

for starters ?

olddog said:
"Who ran it down?"

I guess Oysterman was the first. Read the thread & you decide who else

Fair enough - I see what you mean when I reviewed the thread. However I'm not sure that many people would take some of the more flippant comments that seriously but I could be wrong.

What are the unbanked non literate and / or numerate to do ?

Follow some of the simple guidelines here and elsewhere to help them gain control of their finances. Contact MABS. Use An Post's free Household Budget Scheme (for Social Welfare recipients). There are several alternatives to paying a third party to manage one's finances/budgets and doing it for free might be particularly advisable and prudent for anybody who is already under financial pressure.

"something fishy going on here"

and

"it could be a registered company from 1963 but one that engaged in selling burgers n chips until 2004"

I personally didn't understand these comments and more or less ignored them. I would agree that they certainly don't add anything to the sunstantive discussion.

I don't like the sound of these guys at all. It is not clear what rates they are charging for this service.

There was a very similar incident on Askaboutmoney around a year ago, where someone came in criticizing MABS and wondered if X Ltd was the answer. Someone else posted very quickly that they had used X Ltd and that they were great. The two posters had the same IP address which suggests, but does't prove, that it is simply spam.

I can't find the post and I don't know if it was Home Payments Ltd, but it was a similar sounding company with a similar means of operation.

Brendan

I think it's pretty clear that Tonash is promoting this company and got very pissed off when someone questioned the validity. Then did the old "Oh Yes, I've heard of that company" through a different persona Popsy.

Oldest trick in the book.

Virtually every bank provides this service. It's also something that can be done by simply using DD's.

-Rd

ClubMan said:
Follow some of the simple guidelines here and elsewhere to help them gain control of their finances. Contact MABS. Use An Post's free Household Budget Scheme (for Social Welfare recipients). There are several alternatives to paying a third party to manage one's finances/budgets and doing it for free might be particularly advisable and prudent for anybody who is already under financial pressure.

Clubie, just two points

1. I believe Homepayments were providing their service long before any of the above were invented so they probably have people sticking to them

2. If you cant read but can hold down a job ( there are still some people in this situation ) then sorting out money is a real problem unless you can do it by talking to people face to face. Certainly such people are not going to have any use for services available through the web.

Bit O/T but I just happen to come across

[broken link removed]

I guess Brendans post sort of sums it up in that most of us understand that some people have a need for such a service but we dont like the idea that there might be a charge for it. Therefore its wrong !

Fine except that ( as Brendan says ) we dont know what fees these dudes charge.

Anyone care to phone them & ask ?

olddog said:
2. If you cant read but can hold down a job ( there are still some people in this situation ) then sorting out money is a real problem unless you can do it by talking to people face to face. Certainly such people are not going to have any use for services available through the web.

But then such people are hardly going to me misled by something that they can't read in the first place unless they use screen reading software or something like that? Anyway, MABS and the Household Budget Scheme and other similar schemes are not services that are tied only to the web so I don't understand that reference.

I guess Brendans post sort of sums it up in that most of us understand that some people have a need for such a service but we dont like the idea that there might be a charge for it. Therefore its wrong !

I don't think that that was the thrust of Brendan's criticism.

Fine except that ( as Brendan says ) we dont know what fees these dudes charge.

That was though.

Anyone care to phone them & ask ?

Feel free to do so and post the details here. I would not use such a service myself so I would not be bothered calling them. If you do call ask them why they don't display any IFSRA authorisation/regulation notice on their website as required by IFSRA authorised/regulated intermediaries.

I just called. I'm told it costs approx €232 Per year.
This is on top of the money you send to pay the bills. The fee to them is built into your weekly or monthly payments it's not a separate lump sum payment.

They had no idea who IFSRA are.

I just re-read their explaination of their cost from their website. It's very cleverly written.

Our fixed quarterly fee is less per week than the cost of one nights video rental. Our representative will run through all the details with you.

It sounds on quick reading that you pay less per quarter than a Video Rental But in fact the service actually costs slightly less than renting a Video EVERY WEEK. I.e. They charge about €4.46 a week.

-Rd

For the record I'll provide this service for €200 per year if anyone is interested. And I do know who IFSRA are.

-Rd

Tonash,

No problem.

Can I make a suggestion. Explain to your parents that they are paying 232 a year for this service and that you can set it up for them so that they don't have to do anything additional to what they are doing right now, and they'll save 232 euro.

If they want thay can send their bills to you and you can provide the service for a nominal fee, although DD's might be the best approach.

-Rd

Tonash said:
Hello there! I havent disappeared Ive just been away for the past few days! Yes I am also registered as Popsy and apologise for using the wrong User name....I had registered twice and had used 2 different names (long story!) but there was nothing malice meant by it!!! Sorry!!

Thanks for that clarification.

232 euro's would get them a nice weekend away at certain times of the year.

-Rd

The outbreak of peace love and understanding on this thread makes me suspicious that the whacky baccy is being passed around.

If I offended Tonash (or Popsy or anybody else ;) ) with my original post then I'm sorry too.

That's just my nature I'm afraid.

Maybe I just need to chill (,man).

I'm not a frequent user of this site and hope it isn't frowned upon to resurrect old threads, but I heard today from a colleague that this company went into liquidation today.
Not regulated at all either. People will lose money it appears.

Back