Home Payments Ltd....

Oh for god's sake.....

Most of us are lousy at paying bills on time - that's why they invented direct debits. All of the bills you mention (and just about any others I can think of) are payable by dd.

Even if you bank with a fee-paying current account I'll bet the fees of this Home Payments mob would be far bigger than any fees you might pay on the debits.

But it should be possible to avoid paying any fees.

I have an EBS account which only pays household bills, some by dd and standing order, most by online payment. Everything's easily viewable on their easy to navigate online service and I pay no fees whatsoever. I'm sure that a similar service is available through PTSB and elsewhere.

I'm all for paying people to make my life easier but how exactly will this Rathgar outfit do that?

Other than:

What does it actually cost to run my Home Budget Account?

Naturally we have to make a small charge for our services but you will find this insignificant compared with the trouble and worry you are saved. Our fixed quarterly fee is less per week than the cost of one nights video rental. Our representative will run through all the details with you.

their website doesn't state what they charge for this service and does not state that they are regulated/authorised by IFSRA.

I would agree with the gist of the post above that DIY budgeting and direct debits would be the way to go rather than engaging the services of a third party.

AND

If Home Payments can make a living out of this proxying scheme

AND

If they are reputable, seeing as they will have your bank details :) and CC number probably

then

fair play to them for spotting this niche in the market !!!!

MABS http://www.mabs.ie/ offers a free, confidential and independent service to help people cope take control of their own finances. I can't see much merit in paying a private company for a similar service.

tonka said:
AND

If Home Payments can make a living out of this proxying scheme

AND

If they are reputable, seeing as they will have your bank details :) and CC number probably

then

Yes - but I personally wouldn't use their services nor do I see any obvious reason why anybody else should given the cheaper and more pragmatic alternatives available.

I think I've heard that some Credit unions will provide a similar service.
They sit down with you and work out all your bills over the year and average it out so that you just pay a set amount each month
That might be what your looking for......

tonka said:

they claim "Some of our clients are with us for 40 years and their children now use our Service. Of course they are not children anymore!"

something fishy going on here

jhegarty said:
they claim "Some of our clients are with us for 40 years and their children now use our Service. Of course they are not children anymore!"

something fishy going on here

or maybe not.. the company was registed on : 08/10/1963

My parents have been using the above company since they got married 35 years ago!!! Nothing fishy about them at all, everything above board with them.....my parents suggested I use them too, havent yet but wouldnt rule it out. Not sure how much their fees are but afaik its nothing crazy.

Popsy said:
my parents suggested I use them too, havent yet but wouldnt rule it out. Not sure how much their fees are but afaik its nothing crazy.

What services that this company provides did your parents suggest that you use?

Please note - there is strong evidence available to the administrators to suggest that Tonash and Popsy are registered names used by the same person when posting to this thread. No harm in that per se, but it seems a little odd for somebody to engage in a discussion using multiple identities...

Well I'm definitely not Popsy or Tonash but my parents & a few of their neighbours have been using home payments ever since I can remember. Never saw the point in it myself, but if it's the same company (my folks live on the north side) then they have been on the go for a long time & I've never heard any complaints.

Just to clarify on my own earlier comments - I am not insinuating that there is anything dodgy about this company but
  1. it seems strange that there is no mention of IFSRA authorisation/regulation on their website which (as far as I know) is required of registered/authorised financial intermediaries and
  2. I believe that there are much more cost effective/prudent ways for people to ensure that they budget properly and pay bills on time than to pay a third party to manage this for them - the personal finance equivalent of "give a person a fish and feed him for a day, teach a person to fish and feed him for a lifetime" I suppose.

ClubMan said:
is required of registered/authorised financial intermediaries
I concur !
"give a person a fish and feed him for a day, teach a person to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

it could be a registered company from 1963 but one that engaged in selling burgers n chips until 2004 , ya never know :)

Well, they obviously underwent some sort of expansion a few years ago...

Area Area 1 - South East Application Number 0215/02 Application ...
[size=-1]... Registration Date 13-Nov-2002 Area Area 3 - Central Application Number
3949/02 Application Type Permission Applicant Home Payments Ltd. ...
www.dublincity.ie/planning/commerc/year02/week46.txt - 52k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages[/size]
(from Google - the links are no longer active)

Looks like a money-for-old-rope operation, imho - but isn't that what makes this such a great little country/"part of the goodness we're rich in", etc.? ;)

I know the place you are talking about. They have been there for years but i never was sure what they did as a trade. Do they not also let houses ?

Hi there Tonash

if this helps this is what i do, in work i use email and you get this calendar on it, i use the pop ups on that to remind me to pay bills

if you write down all the different bils you have you should notice there are not that many so if you try a little routine it's easy after a while, and sure the money you save paying someone for it can get you a curry or something!

Back