Home heating oil prices?

So you reckon wait until early october?

I definitely say wait. Even with all the hoo haa over the markets, oil has only risen slightly, but the dollar has weakened to 1.45, so in Euro terms oil prices have been steady this week after the big drop last week & on monday last.

Hopefully it will continue to fall back to the $70 mark which will bring the 1000 litres to about €600.

For the moment, i'm buying in 500 litres in about 2 weeks and will wait for prices to drop further to do a full fill.

Just looking back at old receipts there and I see on the 22nd April 1999 I paid IRP 210.00 for 1000 litres of kerosene (Euro eqivalent €266.64) !!!!!! €00.26 cent per litre !!!

Will we ever see that day again, doubtful !

Just looking back at old receipts there and I see on the 22nd April 1999 I paid IRP 210.00 for 1000 litres of kerosene (Euro eqivalent €266.64) !!!!!! €00.26 cent per litre !!!

Will we ever see that day again, doubtful !

The good old days when oil was $15 dollars a barrel!!

bad news today - oil jumped dramatically today and its looks like the volatility of the oil market could be back. - the october contract (goblygook to me too) rose $30 at one point!!

At €780 above, it may be worth taking that price or similar - its hard to call. - At least its dry & sunny!!

Edit - currently €760 / 1000 litres with emo oil www.emo.ie

- also the crazy price jump yesterday was more to do with end of month technical trades than fundamentals. Price back at $106 this morning.

Last edited:
I still can't understand why people in ireland don't 'group buy' their oil!

If you get a good sized estate together, or small village (or more) and order your oil by the tanker you can bargin with your suppliers for a better price.

They do it all the time in the UK!

Best I could get today was 0.79 cent per litre (that was for 816 litres Kerosene - don't ask why it's 816 litres !):p. So €645.00.

filled up the tank today, tank can hold 2600 liters.

there was already about 786 liters remaining it.

got 1814 liters from Vale Oil in Thurles.

the unit price was €0.6961 excluding VAT.

so the total including 13.5% VAT came to €1433.19

was looking at dockets from about 4-5 yrs back and then comparing to today's docket....depressing!!

Update on pricing.

emo oil ( www.emo.ie ) are currently €731 per 1000 litres, but if you can wait the November contract price for Kerosene is currently 44c per litre - add approx. 10c distribution cost + 13.5% VAT and the price per 1000 litres should be at €620 in approx. 3 weeks if world prices continue at current levels.

further update - emo dropped again this evening to €699 - A far cry from the €1100 quoted in July!!!!

Last edited:
1475.5 for 2000liters , jonres oil arklow, 73.75cent , will get 11 months out of that.

Could recommend J&M Oils (Adamstown) in South East- Jack has been delivering to us for 20 years, and is the Texaco name in the area.

What we liked is that a few years when we called to order heating oil, he actually asked if we could hold out for a few days as he said that it was likely that the price would come down. We thought this very decent as most companies would just take the order & you'd end up paying the higher price.

Thank you for the fast answer. Actually I have just moved to Bandon and this is my first oil heated rent. So I have no experience at all. I am going to try them.

Emo now 61.5c for 1000 litres ex VAT.
That's 69.911c inclusive of VAT

Generally these prices are matched or better by the other suppliers, so you should be able to get a bit more off I'd say

The only problem is EMO does not deliver to this location. But I hope I can bargain a little bit. :)

1000L of Kero is now €660 with Corrib Oil in Longford...

Can anyone tell me why the Prices are NOT coming down in line with the stocks at the Pumps?????????????? thanks

Back