Health Expenses Claim online?

Got P21s for 2005 & 2006 today.

A total of €350 on it's way into my account :D Pretty good for 30 minutes work!

Update: The money arrived in my a/c this morning. 1 week from submitting the claims isn't too bad at all.

I sent in a Med 1 early last week and gave all my bank details on the form to get any refund credited to my account. Today, a cheque arrived. It seems they should change the Med 1 to read: Please provide your bank details and if we fel like it we will credit your account, otherwise we will send you a cheque.

How do I go about claiming Medical Insurance relief for 2003 and 2004? I could do 2005 and 2006 online, (am to receive a balancing statement) and 2007.

thanks.

Also, any idea if there is a flat rate expenses for an office worker in a private IT company? No sign of it on the list, but surely they cannot discriminate against certain jobs?

I can't see anything that fits that bill. The list is a bit odd and specific in some places and vague in others. I've more or less given up hoping to claim anything under this. They really should update the list to make it more meaningful.

Sorry, I should have said I needed to claim the health expenses tax credit for 2003 & 2004. My employer pays my VHI in full, so its just the credit I need to get. Is that a different form to the MED1, as I can't see anywhere on the MED1 form for this?

Thanks very much.

Sorry, I should have said I needed to claim the health expenses tax credit for 2003 & 2004. My employer pays my VHI in full, so its just the credit I need to get. Is that a different form to the MED1, as I can't see anywhere on the MED1 form for this?
You don't use MED1/2 for this. You just need to write to Revenue outlining the employer paid VHI premiums for 2003/4, including copies of your P60s for those years and asking them to grant you the outstanding relief. I presume that BIK tax/PRSI deductions were made via payroll in respect of these payments already?

You don't need to wait for your P60 - simply apply for your medical expenses now using your last paye slip of 2006 (it has all the relevant tax details they need for 2006). You will obviously have to post this in though.

boogaloo's query does not relate to medical expenses but to claiming a tax credit in respect if VHI premiums paid as a BIK by his/her employer. I would not send originals of P60s or payslipts etc. but rather a photocopy.

Thanks for that.

BIK Tax & PRSI deductions were made from beginning of 2004 which is when the new rule came in as far as I remember.

I will dig out the p60s for both years and send them off. Thanks.

Sorry guys, I was responding to the original posts regarding general medical expenses claims.

I'm a bit lost on Boogaloos point. It is possible to claim tax back on
BIK contributions? I have health insurance with Bupa in my job. Can I claim back the amount my company contributes monthly towards the health insurance?

Thanks

Hey guys,

When I go to do my health expenses and rent for 2006 I receive this-

Unfortunately we cannot process your Request as you have an active Income Tax Registration. contact the ROS Helpdesk at 1890 201 106

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Any chance that you have tax issues (e.g. non PAYE income above c. €3K such as from an ESPP/ESOP, rental income etc.) which caused you to be classed as self assessed even if you earn the bulk of your income as a PAYE employee. When this happens I think they block processing PAYE Self Service online stuff until the self assessment is sorted out.

I have interest from a bond abroad which I told them about last year via my tax advisor so maybe its something to do with that.Thats a bit of a pain I was looking forward to doing it online this year myself!

That could be it especially if this interest (or all interest from all sources and/or any other non PAYE income) is c. €3K+ which may cause you to become "a chargeable person" - i.e. somebody who needs to file a self assessed return. See [broken link removed] for more.
Assessable non-PAYE income of €3,174 or more
An individual with assessable non-PAYE income of €3,174 or more for any year is regarded as a "chargeable person" for Self-Assessment and must file a Form 11 for that year.
As far as I know they recently (last year?) may have modified the rules to allow for certain amounts of such non PAYE income to be collected via adjustments to your tax credits in certain circumstances rather than requiring a self assessed return. Your tax advisor will presumably be able to clarify matters for you.

Defo wasn't around €3k equivalent but I'll seek more info from the tax advisor who is really a family friend and he wants to show me how to do it in future.I just thought it'd be easier to do it on-line and get the cheque straight into the bank as i'm heading away!.

For what it's worth - I was getting the same message a while ago online and put it down to having received (and declared/paid liabilities on) nominal income less than the €3,174 limit from an ESPP. I wrote to Revenue asking them to deal with this through tax credits instead of making me self assessed but they never replied and never changed my tax credits (ESPP is suspended at the moment anyway so it makes no odds to me since no liabilities arise right now) but I think the message went away and I never received a Form 11 from them (and hope not to to be honest!).

Back