Has John O' Donoghue resigned yet

Yes expense abuse happens in both private & public and we Irish are good at it.

One last example Complainer will love.

Govt dept employee, friend of mine - his primary duty is to answer a 'hotline' for members of the public and deal with the query. Problem is that the phone very rarely rings (average twice a month). Not my friend's fault. So what does he do? Fair play to him, he set up his own business/company and ran it from his office. Spent 2 years running his own business from within his public sector job. Then he left and concentrated solely on the new business. Better than sitting there bored reading the paper which others would do.
Can happen anywhere , I knew 2 guys in the Bank one of whom was persona non grata but they could'nt fire him , he turned up for work every day and ran his antique business from his desk for years until they paid him off !
The other chap ran a bookies from from the branch - you probably remember the court case !!

One last example Complainer will love.

Govt dept employee, friend of mine - his primary duty is to answer a 'hotline' for members of the public and deal with the query. Problem is that the phone very rarely rings (average twice a month). Not my friend's fault. So what does he do? Fair play to him, he set up his own business/company and ran it from his office. Spent 2 years running his own business from within his public sector job. Then he left and concentrated solely on the new business. Better than sitting there bored reading the paper which others would do.
Actually, that's a lot more believable than the expense fraud stories. I do believe that these kind of things have happened in the past, and even the not so distant past. There were people 'white-walled' (left staring at the wall) as a result of decentralisation.

The 'mileage to deliver a letter' story sounds like one of those urban myths. I'm sure that once, somebody did get some mileage to deliver one letter, and maybe there was a good reason for it being delivered by hand. But this kind of stuff is just not happening on a systemic basis today.

Actually, that's a lot more believable than the expense fraud stories. I do believe that these kind of things have happened in the past, and even the not so distant past. There were people 'white-walled' (left staring at the wall) as a result of decentralisation.

The 'mileage to deliver a letter' story sounds like one of those urban myths. I'm sure that once, somebody did get some mileage to deliver one letter, and maybe there was a good reason for it being delivered by hand. But this kind of stuff is just not happening on a systemic basis today.

It doesn't matter to me at all whether or not you believe what has been posted here. I can only speak with regard to my own post which I know to be true. I could also go through many stories worse than the Mileage to deliver letter story but not without leaving a trail that might identify people. So I guess I for one will be leaving you with your denial, your probably better off that way:)

The most wasteful practices I have ever seen were in county councils. Especially in the road maintenance works. I've seen things that were so wasteful and inefficient, you would not believe it. All those jobs should be outsourced to private contractors for half the cost and a quarter of the time.

It doesn't matter to me at all whether or not you believe what has been posted here. I can only speak with regard to my own post which I know to be true.
If you know it to be true, why are you not reporting it (and your other 'worse' stories) to the relevant authorities?

I agree. Coming on here alluding to all sorts of carry on in the Public Service but saying you can't give us any information and you haven't seen it directly yourself but anyone who's dubious about what you're telling us is just in denial. ..... Please!!

Of course there's some dishonest individuals in the PS as there are everywhere, but hinting that it's rife is very unfair.

:D Information overload liaconn!!! - and you wanted all the juicy details from me! :D:D;)

Don't be stupid. What exactly is your point?

I'm hardly going to tell you the exact Department I work in and risk people being able to identify me on here. What earthly difference does it make which exact Department I'm in? There's no comparison between you making vague allegations about the entire Public Service, on third party evidence and then saying you can't supply details and me telling you what area of the Public Service I work in but not the exact location which has nothing whatsover to do with the arguments I'm making.

Don't be stupid. What exactly is your point?

I'm hardly going to tell you the exact Department I work in and risk people being able to identify me on here. What earthly difference does it make which exact Department I'm in? There's no comparison between you making vague allegations about the entire Public Service, on third party evidence and then saying you can't supply details and me telling you what area of the Public Service I work in but not the exact location which has nothing whatsover to do with the arguments I'm making.

You obviously haven't read my posts. I was in the public service and I was stupid enough to leave. Its not third party evidence and you did look for detail. Anyway, this is my last post on this thread.

Apologies. Should have said 'posters making vague allegations'.

I still have absolutely no idea of what point you're trying to make re what Department I work in????

Back