Has John O' Donoghue resigned yet

Z

z104

If not, what is keeping him from resigning? Surely his neck is not that thick that he doesn't realise he has to resign after squandering so much of our income tax money.

Why should we pay from him to act like royalty.

He hasn't resigned because members of the opposition are not making enough waves.

I wonder why?

Name the last politician to resign in disgrace - I think it was Ivor Callely who resigned his junior ministry over getting his house painted. After all the scandals in recent years - free spending, drunk driving offences and god knows what else, I'd say you'll be waiting a long time if you're expecting him to resign.

I would have thought a mass resignation would be appropriate. They're all a disgrace.

I was in Iceland when the people made their minister resign. They picketed government building for 7 days and 7 nights around the clock banging biscuit tins , whistles, drums e.t.c.and made alot of noise and held a vigil outside until they got their resignations. I think the probelm with Irish people is that we protest for an hour or two or maybe go on a march and then off to the pub for some Lunch or some shopping.

We're pathethic protestors and generally accept things way to easily.

Name the last politician to resign in disgrace - I think it was Ivor Callely who resigned his junior ministry over getting his house painted. After all the scandals in recent years - free spending, drunk driving offences and god knows what else, I'd say you'll be waiting a long time if you're expecting him to resign.

Callely went into hiding for a few days and even Bertie couldnt get in touch with him, still he's now a Senator (one of Bertie's appointments) and his son rang for the local elections last time out- thankfully failing

Irish politicians dont resign in disgrace, as their fellow TD's row in behind them and refuse to force the issue.
it is despicable how that Accountant resigned from his role of overseeing reform of political expenses as he received no help from the members of Dail Eireann.

Why is O Donoghue being signaled out?

Are expenses not claimed by public servamts and other TDs?

A lot of media hoopla. A country borrowing 400 million a week focused in on this.

Pointless media witch hunt.

These expenses were approved. So why focus in on the claimant?

Even when they are forced to go, they are welcomed back in to the fold within no time eg class act Bev.

Pointless media witch hunt.

+1

Without going into the specifics of each line item, I doubt that the Minister personally arranged each hotel and hired car. It is reasonable to expect that our Government Ministers don't say in hostels when they're abroad on official business. I accept there's a line between a hostel and the Four Seasons and that the Department strayed too many times towards the Four Seasons end of the line.

The bigger issue is the Oireachtas and oversight. They decide their own rules and checks and balances and that, in any walk of life, is a mistake.

There are bigger issues than rented hats or tribunal lawyers claiming for a bar of chocolate from the hotel minibar.

He is responsible for his departments expenditre so should have the appropriate checks and balances in place.

Yes, he is 100% resposnible becuase he should know better. If he doesn't know better then he should not be in his position.

Yes, he is 100% resposnible becuase he should know better. If he doesn't know better then he should not be in his position.

Should he have used price comparrison websites?

For pittance sake - the country is borrowing 400 million a week.

The IMF are at the door and the media are harping on about this stuff.

Why have one rule for him and another rule for other public servants and Tds?

The system of expenses should be over-hauled.

But finger pointing at the Ceann Comhairle is a witch hunt.

Why not start at the top and work our way down? to say it is a witch hunt is to somehow make out poor ol John is some sort of victim.

Why not start at the top and work our way down? to say it is a witch hunt is to somehow make out poor ol John is some sort of victim.

+10000000000

And there is the crux of the matter, If People felt that they were accountable the abuse would not take place becuase they would know the consequences. Somebody has to be responsible and people heads should roll.

If he is not responsible for his own expenditure then who is? Somebody's head should roll and I say start with the department head.

There is a smell of " LET THEM EAT CAKE " about it alright.

These people are so out of touch with reality, They probably don't even realise how out of touch with reality they are.

Should he have used price comparrison websites?

For pittance sake - the country is borrowing 400 million a week.

The IMF are at the door and the media are harping on about this stuff.

Why have one rule for him and another rule for other public servants and Tds?

The system of expenses should be over-hauled.

But finger pointing at the Ceann Comhairle is a witch hunt.

have you ever heard the expression look after your pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves

the very reason our country is borrowing 400m a week is because successive FF governments allowed a culture of extravagant expenditure to exist.plus the complete dependence on the government driven property boom which was bound to last forever. From the very top down we had our former Taoiseach handing out jobs to the boys (Celia being appointed to the board of the National Consumer Agency being the highlight)
We have had ridiculous pay increases for all members of Dail Eireann to such an extent that our inept leader is currently paid more than the heads of USA, Germany, UK, France, in fact our backbench TD’s earn considerably more than Russian PM Vladamir Putin.
This ineptness, greed and complete disregard for tax payers money has also been reflected in the outrageous pensions/golden handshakes given to disgraced former civil servants Roddy Molloy and Patrick Neary, believe it or not Neary’s state pension of over €140k per year is greater than the salary of Ben Bernanke the head of the US Fed Reserve

So perhaps the ourtrage directed at O’Donoghue can be considered a witchhunt, but this outrage is merely a reflection of the outrage of the broader public of this country who have in the last 12 months suffered unemployment, or are looking over their shoulders at work worrying if their position is safe or for those within the somewhat safer environs of the public service have had pension levy’s and pay freezes.

We’re borrowing 400m a week, yes the IMF are knocking at the door and these are the exact reasons why we need a root and branch overhaul of how this country is run and that should start at the very top.

The laugh is that the Ceann Comhairle is chairman of the House of the Oireachtas Commission which oversees the review of expenses.

the very reason our country is borrowing 400m a week is because successive FF governments allowed a culture of extravagant expenditure to exist.plus the complete dependence on the government driven property boom which was bound to last forever.

Trade Unions also sat in partnership and all the social groups. Peopls went crazy buying houses not alone in Ireland but across the EU.

It was stupidity that caused the property frenzy.

People sleeping overnight in cars so they'd purchase a house.

Back