Girlfriend moving in...

@ drutopia

Just wondering what did you do in the end?
I am in the same situation.

i am in the worst case scenario above, going to court soon as the Ex thinks she has some right to a property i own as she lived there and paid for food ????...apparantley she has ?? go figure...so for trying to be nice you end up getting screwed...
I would get something sorted right away.

I'm shocked bizincork! OP and JimmyD, I think there's a distinction to be made between wanting to have a clear understanding and wanting to be legally watertight. If you just want for everyone to know where they stand I would discuss that financially the other person is like a tenant. They should pay rent (can be as low as you want) and half the bills. Most people understand that being a tenant doesn't confer ownership rights.
However I don't know what the situation is legally. Maybe then you could claim rent allowance and if it did ever go to court you could always point to that and say the agreement was always that of tenancy.

I'm shocked bizincork! OP and JimmyD, I think there's a distinction to be made between wanting to have a clear understanding and wanting to be legally watertight. If you just want for everyone to know where they stand I would discuss that financially the other person is like a tenant. They should pay rent (can be as low as you want) and half the bills. Most people understand that being a tenant doesn't confer ownership rights.
However I don't know what the situation is legally. Maybe then you could claim rent allowance and if it did ever go to court you could always point to that and say the agreement was always that of tenancy.

Pretending she's you tenant won't wash in a court - been tried and doesn't fly even if she has paid rent - make it simple - talk to her, then listen to her, be open, clear and honest - ye are going to have to face bigger challenges together if ye remain together and use the small ones as opportunities to build trust by being open - don't dress it up or try to make it romantic - she's not a fool and if you try to make it something it's not you will only do damage - be manly about this - concise and to the point and be sensitive to what she has to say to you also.

I was going to have my girlfriend move in but decided not to as there would have been way to much grief - especially from the wife :)

The couple are co-habitating and therefore do not qualify to claim rent allowance.

The situation changes from her putting your key in your lock to you putting your "key" in her lock,if you get my inuendo.Legalities are different.

Forget romance and get an agreement sorted out. Anything else is plain stupid. (Having said that, I ignored my own advice years ago and was lucky enough to split up amicably, with both of us making a small profit from a shared house purchase).

If you want to be really romantic, forget the try-before-you-buy lark. Make up your mind before cohabiting, and then don't cohabit -- get married. Statistically your chances of a lasting relationship are better. :D

The couple are co-habitating and therefore do not qualify to claim rent allowance.

I think the poster meant rent-a-room relief on the part of the houseowner and rent relief on the part of the renter. Though the loophole here was closed off for parents renting to children I don't think there's any problem for co-habitees to claim both. Remember, revenue treats co-habitees as unrelated whereas social welfare treats them as married when working out limits etc.

You can do your own donkey work. Start by looking up Cohabitation on Wikipedia. Then Google something like, oh, +marriage +success +cohabitation.

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could throw some advice my way...

My girlfriend moved in with me, into my house a few months back. The house is only in my name, I pay the mortgage.
She doesn't pay any rent, that was my choice. She only contributes towards the utility and food bills. She hasn't had to buy furniture or anything like that either. So anyway here's the question.

Things are going really well, there are no problems at all... but if in the future things were to turn a bit sour, where would we stand on this? Is there such thing as common law marraige in Ireland? Would she be entitled to anything regarding my home if we split up?

Fingers crossed I'm not jinxing the relationship by even asking this question.

Thanks!
She could in the future seek to claim a beneficial interest in the property. She would have tenuous grounds for doing so given that she contributes nothing to the mortgage. You could have her sign an agreement that she will not claim any beneficial interest in the property in the event of the breakdown of your relationship and that all monetary contributions made by her relate solely to grocery and utility bills.

Alternatively, you could re-mortgage the property putting the mortgage into joint names and discharge same equally. You could leave the title deeds in your name only but sign an agreement whereby if you break up, the net proceeds of the sale will be divided equally between you. This may or may not be a desirable option for you depending on the value of the property, the amount outstanding on the mortgage, her financial circumstances etc...

I'm presuming you don't want to transfer the property into joint names. In any event she would lose her first time buyer's stamp duty exemption (if she is a FTB) and there could be a CAT liability.

I would presume if you've decided to live together that it is with a view to more long term commitments. I cannot imagine her being satisifed being a tenant in your home indefinitely so you should bite the bullet and discuss these issues with her now.

in my case that is exactly what she is doing try to claim benficial interest....
my circumstances are exactly the same as you...she contributed only to bills and food.

It seems that a claim is substantial enough to go to court and for a judge to apparently approve it..

be very careful....

Back