Gift for a girl in a new relationship

flowers always the best option as they are appreciated but not over doing it.

Not my experience. I brought Mrs Bloggs home a nice new brush and mop the other day and she ran me out of the house :D

Got the brush-off, eh? I'm in the "not" camp too, ReturningJohn, even if only because the views are fairly split here and better to avoid any possible interpretation of pressure. Presenting someone with a gift at this stage could be interpreted as asking for approval/validation. She will have to say something nice about it and that may not be totally honest; she may even assume that you are anxiously wanting to please - you will have introduced a false note into the sweet music! Material gifts are not as important as attention, courtesy and spontaneity. Just do things you both enjoy...

Flowers or chocolate (probably the former though). Definitely. They don't last so you aren't conveying a sense of permanance to a new relationship. Have them delivered to her at work. It is delightfully embarrassing. Having been on the receiving end of such a gesture once or twice, although it makes you blush, it makes you feel very happy. It tends to lift the mood of all work colleagues too because everyone likes to see someone happy and there is nothing more fun than teasing someone who has just got flowers and blushed over it.

Size doesn't matter and a big bouquet is awkward to manage in an office and to manhandle home, so probably go for something small.

Also go for something a little unusual in a bouquet - anyone can do roses but sometimes iris is more appealing, daisy more endearing, tulip more vivid, lily more statuesque and fragrant etc. And be careful of colour. Don't do red yet, probably best avoid white and yellow is usually friendship I think.

I don't think it's too early for a small gift - but make it something relevant to a conversation you had - shows a lot of thought. (As her gift to you did).

After a few dates I bought a guy some Calvin and Hobbes books, cause he kept reading mine - he's now my husband.

(Which reminds me, haven't looked a those books for a while - must dig them out for a giggle)

After a few dates I bought a guy some Calvin and Hobbes books, cause he kept reading mine - he's now my husband.

(Which reminds me, haven't looked a those books for a while - must dig them out for a giggle)

Books idea worked for me as well, bought her a hardback version of "Tale of Two Cities" for our second date. She liked it and was not scared off.

However after 6 years she still has not read it.:eek:

Yeah, a book or flowers would do.
Not delivered to her workplace, though, I think private matters should be kept private. Better to deliver in person, when you see her (or when you pick her up).
I really like receiving small boxes of hand-made chocolates, as they are really handy for after dinner coffee or liqueur. Ideal for sharing, so make sure you get chocs that you like too.

I am in the YES camp. I don't quite understand why a small gift would be considered an obligation rather than a gesture. Same as she bought a household item you (ReturningJohn) didn't have, you can get her something small and relatively useful.

"Gifts bought for no reason other than to say "I was thinking of you" are the nicest gifts of all"

I strongly agree. Flowers are ok - but a cheap and cheerful bunch of flowers is often a much better bet than the big bouquet.

'I went specially to the flower shop, agonised over what flowers were appropriate; asked for advice and bought you this big bouqet' - OTT; reeks of too much planning and slightly needy..

'I was doing the shopping, they had these nice flowers beside the fruit and veg; I was thinking of you, so I bought you a bunch' - can't really fail to please.

'I was doing the shopping, they had these nice flowers beside the fruit and veg; I was thinking of you, so I bought you a bunch' - can't really fail to please.

Was getting petrol, and thought of you. No no no. When it comes to flowers, I think you have to get a nice bunch from a florist rather than supermarket/petrol station.

A diamond pendant would be nice...that way you will always be near her heart. Mushy, yeah. But, it works all the time. =P

A gift is a nice idea, doesnt have to be an occasion. Jewellery is always good, can get a nice chain for €20 or so in one fo the less expensive jewellers or newbridge is always affordable too.

Back