French leaseback?

adj38 said:
Yes I do represent leaseback developers, but only because i believe in the concept.

and may be to make few bobs as well.....
I think you have too much vested interest to give an objective view on leasebacks. But anyway, can you please tell me why i should invest in a leaseback property rather than a "standard" property?

Forgot to add:

You said previously "If you are looking for speculative gains you should look elsewhere" yet now you are saying that this is a speculative play. You are contradicting yourself. This is in fact a purely speculative play with no return based on rental yield, since you are contributing annually in addition to the large 30% upfront equity payment. I cannot find any rational basis for your alleged 'belief' in these schemes, other than the fact that you are getting commission on each sale you make.

I'm new to this conversation and this website. However, I have found a leaseback scheme in a prime location in central Bordeaux that I am about to buy. I figured, like buying any property, the key thing is location location location. And this location is superb. (I was there in February.)

Yes, it is more expensive than the equivalent private apartments selling in the same development, but I expected that given we had the same experience here with section 23 apartments. (actually, it's about the same price when you get the VAT back.) I figured given the guaranteed rental income this would be the case.

However, I am concerned about a few things I am coming across in these replies. maybe I could run my situation past a couple of people with obviously more expertise?

I decided to take an 80% mortgage on the full, VAT inclusive, price of the apartment. That way, when I get my VAT back, the mortgage will be effectively 100%. I acknowledge there will be a significant shortfall over the years between mortgage repayments and rental income, but I can cover this. It means I don't have to put a big lump sum in at the start. I wanted to maximise the mortgage because for tax purposes you can offset interest (maximised) against income, I am told. It is a French mortgage through HSBC.

there is no personal usage, but I don't mind that. reduced rate on personal usage. this is a long-term investment, as far as I'm concerned.

there is a 4.25% return, based on the value of the property. However, the agent, and I do find him very good, tells me that as the property increases in value, so will the return because the 4.25% rate remains the same. This is reviewed on a yearly basis. True??

Also, I had hoped to secure a 15 year fixed-rate mortgage in France but now I am told by the bank over there that this is not possible for investment properties. It will have to be a variable rate. I had understood fixed-rate mortgages were available for as low as 4.1% in France, but the penalties for exiting were very severe. I was prepared to go with this but I'm concerned about the fixed rate.

Anyway, although the location is fantastic, I do have concerns. I found my own independent legal advice to negotiate the sale, but independent investment advice always useful. Incidentally, this apartment is not cheap!

many thanks.

Askar said:
Forgot to add:

You said previously "If you are looking for speculative gains you should look elsewhere" yet now you are saying that this is a speculative play. You are contradicting yourself. This is in fact a purely speculative play with no return based on rental yield, since you are contributing annually in addition to the large 30% upfront equity payment. I cannot find any rational basis for your alleged 'belief' in these schemes, other than the fact that you are getting commission on each sale you make.
If you invest in property it is always speculative in so far as you do not know what prices will do. So are stocks, gold, antiques - take your pick.

The annual contributions are not interest only but repayment based so after 20 years or so the capital is repayed. Try any mortgage calculator for your own figures.

This scheme was established in 1976 with the approval of the French government and has many thousands of investors.

As with any investment people should get their own information and make your own mind up.

Albatross said:
I wanted to maximise the mortgage because for tax purposes you can offset interest (maximised) against income, I am told. It is a French mortgage through HSBC.

True for the tax that you will have to pay in France, but not sure if the Irish revenue will allow you to offset the interest (as French mortgage) against your Irish Tax liability, therefore interest will not be offset at all.

bacchus said:
True for the tax that you will have to pay in France, but not sure if the Irish revenue will allow you to offset the interest (as French mortgage) against your Irish Tax liability, therefore interest will not be offset at all.

thanks for the reply. I thought there was a double taxation agreement between Ireland and France. If I do go for this, do you know anything about getting an Irish mortgage to cover and leaseback property in France? If you can get one, what are the tax implications?
cheers.

If you invest in property it is always speculative in so far as you do not know what prices will do. So are stocks, gold, antiques - take your pick.

The annual contributions are not interest only but repayment based so after 20 years or so the capital is repayed. Try any mortgage calculator for your own figures.

Fine. So you now agree it's speculative (contrary to your previous e-mail) and there are no returns on the yield even with a 30% deposit. YOu are absolutely right to say that people should make up their own mind, rather than rely upon what is being said by those who have 'belief' in these schemes, and earn commission from selling these properties. I am just surprised that, as an agent, you could not even make a case for a return on the guaranteed yields with a 30% equity deposit.

Your distracting points about how long these schemes have been in existence is of practically no relevance whatsoever, nor indeed is the cash on deposit comment. The question is are there better returns in property elsewhere. And that is what individuals should make up their own mind about!

Askar said:
Fine. So you now agree it's speculative (contrary to your previous e-mail) and there are no returns on the yield even with a 30% deposit. YOu are absolutely right to say that people should make up their own mind, rather than rely upon what is being said by those who have 'belief' in these schemes, and earn commission from selling these properties. I am just surprised that, as an agent, you could not even make a case for a return on the guaranteed yields with a 30% equity deposit.

Your distracting points about how long these schemes have been in existence is of practically no relevance whatsoever, nor indeed is the cash on deposit comment. The question is are there better returns in property elsewhere. And that is what individuals should make up their own mind about!
Clearly you are intent on misquoting me.

What i said was that the loan can be repaid in 20 years or so after which the property is yours. Any capital appreciation is speculative, unless you believe values will be less in 20 years than they are now. As such this makes a very good case for a definite return. No doubt there are better returns to be had from property, but there are also the attendant risks.

My understanding is that you pay tax on rental income according to French Revenue rules. Not sure what the rates are.
You then have to advise Irish revenue and calculate tax according to Irish Revenue rules

Gross Rental Income
Less Allowable expenses which includes Interest on Mortgage only
Net Rents

Tax at your marginal rate
2% Health Levy

Less Tax paid in france

Tax due to Irish Revenue

See [broken link removed] for more details of Tax on Rental Income including foreign rental income

You should also be aware of the following:
When you sell the property you will have to pay CGT in Ireland and in France. Double Tax agreement does not extend to CGT (currently under negiotation) but who knows when it comes into effect
Legal situation with regards to inheritance.
Letting to tenants - Tenants have very strong rights. You can't for instance evict someone during certain times of the year (Oct to April I think)

I have not misquoted you in any way. Of course, you can (and probably will) continue your bluster indefinitely. I think readers can make up their own mind about your comments, and in particular your last one:
"Any capital appreciation is speculative, unless you believe values will be less in 20 years than they are now. As such this makes a very good case for a definite return."

If that is your 'very good case' analysis for a 'definite return' I think that says it all about your sales pitch!!

asdfg said:
Less Allowable expenses which includes Interest on Mortgage only

Are you 100% sure that Irish revenue allows you to deduct mortgage interest even though the mortgage is taken abroad ( France in this particualr case)?

Qawra said:
There is an article i today's Independent for anyone who is interested.
Which notes that 'a series of concerns have been raised by consumers on Askaboutmoney.com'.

It's here - registration needed.

"at the end of the scheme, there have been complaints that investors are left with a property which may be the same as hundreds of others in the same development"

Well frankly I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

Has anyone here tried to claim their vat back from the french leaseback? Id be interested to know how long it took

My husband checked out Global Mortgages Direct and Smyths who are in Dublin, we went with Global Mortgages Direct for our property in Italy. The fee they cost us though, was 500euro, not 95! Still, its been a painless enough process. We also looked at the French Leaseback - in my opinion, a complete waste of time! Over-priced, bad locations, our property in Italy is being managed by a local rental company and we are hoping for a 7% yield (net) for just 8 months rent.

bacchus said:
- 20% over-priced (easy to understand why- you get 19.6% after 15 years onwership)
- over supplied
- advertised return based on unrealistist rental prices.
- high unoccupancy rate due to high rent.
- while the tax insentive associated to these leasebacks "could" make sense for French resident, it does not for none French resident as you will ultimately end up paying 42% tax (assumption you are on 42% tax band) no matter how good the French tax benefits are.

Why do you think they are so much advertised in Ireland? b'cos they can not sell them to the French themselves!!

Stay clear....

Reply is a bit late but:
The reason French people don't buy it themselves is that they have no money and you have to remember they are the ones going to these places on holidays!
To choose the right leaseback, you need to pick a good area, as this is key to the leaseback.
Having been involved in this, I have studied it thoroughly, and the fact that they give you the yearly yield is their confidence in the rental of these properties.
You should also know that a lot of small developers work on leaseback, and they would not risk the chance of loosing money on this if it was a scam!
Leaseback is not that bad.... and this is why hundreds of irish people are buying it!

Back