Fisher Investments ??

Another guy promised me .75% for the Index World Equity Fund alone.
If it was my choice, I would go with this.
Should offer sufficient diversification and why pay extra charges and have an, arguably, unnecessary mix of funds?

1.15% AMC for a global equity index fund is a rip off. So is 0.75%.

And you haven’t even mentioned commission - what is the broker being paid?

And unless you have a lot of non-pension assets in cash, you really shouldn’t be anything like 100% in equities at your age and stage in life.

Suggest you talk to another broker…

1.15% AMC for a global equity index fund is a rip off. So is 0.75%.
And you haven’t even mentioned commission - what is the broker being paid?
This is included in the 1.15% Sorry if this was not clear.
And unless you have a lot of non-pension assets in cash, you really shouldn’t be anything like 100% in equities at your age and stage in life.
I understood that there were more than just equities in his suggested basket of funds. Government bonds etc.
Suggest you talk to another broker…

He offered me a mix of four Irish Life funds.
Retirement Portfolios 4 and 5 , Setanta Equity Dividend and Indexed World Equity.
Don't treat anything I say as advice, but did he explain why a mix of 4 funds? In a way that you understand?

3 of the 4 funds feature the same 6 companies in their top 10 holdings (Apple, Microsoft, Alphabeth, etc). Surely a simple Indexed World Equity, and a percentage in cash / bonds would result in lower fees, and a better outcome?

Your 'advisor' is receiving an upfront and annual commission for this. They should be advising you.

Don't treat anything I say as advice, but did he explain why a mix of 4 funds? In a way that you understand?
I understood from him that they were a well diversified mix.
3 of the 4 funds feature the same 6 companies in their top 10 holdings (Apple, Microsoft, Alphabeth, etc). Surely a simple Indexed World Equity, and a percentage in cash / bonds would result in lower fees, and a better outcome?
Your 'advisor' is receiving an upfront and annual commission for this. They should be advising you.
My funds are held in an SSAP at the moment. I sold my pension property so its all cash waiting to buy an ARF.
He claims he gets zero commision from the company that holds that.
That company charged me c. €3750 this year to hold it if I remember right.

The old diversification by just putting the money in 3-4 different funds, never mind the fact that they all hold the same assets. I thought that went out the window 20 years ago! :D Or saying you are getting different investment styles with one funds being top down and the other being bottom up style strategies!!

Happy Friday and thanks for everyone's inputs.
So, my take from this is,

1, Pick a well diversified funds that hopefully will track the indices. They all roughly average out over time.
2, Get the lowest fees possible because no one's crystal ball works. Fees will have a major impact on my funds.
3, Don't be swayed by fear or greed. In a slump, trust your blue chip companies to bounce back.
As always, do your own due diligence and go with your gut feel.

Back