Electric Car Value Trade In. Please Help

You pick one to poke holes in but his THIRTEEN other reasons are perfectly valid.
I didn't say they weren't. But it doesn't help when trying to make a point that you include long debunked myths as facts, it suggests that the opinion stated has just been arrived at through misunderstanding or ignorance rather than any research or application of logic.

insurance companies don't want them as its mainly a write off cost with any tip
Why so are so many people finding insurance so easy to come by?

low batteries can't go over ramps
What??? Where are you getting that from? What EV on sale here has a ground clearance so low it can't go over a ramp?

I'm sorry, but these are just nonsense!!!

What??? Where are you getting that from? What EV on sale here has a ground clearance so low it can't go over a ramp?

indeed many people are insuring cars with 350-450 bhp for under 500 quid which was previously unheard of.

Reactions: Leo
Then, is there a single road legal car on the market here that would make it across the Sahara in the condition it rolls off the forecourt?

I doubt there's any car on sale on Ireland that would make it in stock condition. If you think you'll take a stock 4x4 or VW Polo and just drive across.

They usually add sump guards, extra protection bumpers, roof racks, air filters, snokles (for dust) off road tyres, extended fuel tanks, winches, a supply of spare parts etc.

I doubt there's any car on sale on Ireland that would make it in stock condition. If you think you'll take a stock 4x4 or VW Polo and just drive across.

They usually add sump guards, extra protection bumpers, roof racks, air filters, snokles (for dust) off road tyres, extended fuel tanks, winches, a supply of spare parts etc.
Exactly, so to suggest a standard EV couldn't do it as some kind of reason they're bad is nonsense.

Nonesense ....... I dont think so and I'm not a pro or anti EV Zealot.

Some are very low (see new Honda e:NY1 ) & some ramps not so low .............. need to be extra mindful .................

On Insurance .......".Electric cars have a lot of things going for them, but cheap insurance isn’t one........ EVs are immensely complex machines that can seldom be fixed at the side of the road. What’s more, because of the way they’re geared, they cannot be towed conventionally and usually need to be loaded onto a flatbed lorry even if they’ve only run out of battery power. With a breakdown recovery service often an optional extra on car insurance policies, it seems logical that companies would also factor in the extra recovery costs into an EV owner’s premium." CarZone

New EV Honda
ive had ICE cars just as low, anyway you were making a general observation, some cars are low, some arent, it isnt an EV thing,

the quote from carzone is just a quote, almost everyone i know with an EV has seen their bhp go up and their insurance go down, again you are taking sound bites without any actual experience.

New EV Honda

"The e:Ny1 deals with low-speed bumps with a little more ease (and with less of a thud from the suspension) than its rival does"

"The Honda e:Ny1 deals with potholes and speedbumps really well."

On Insurance .......".Electric cars have a lot of things going for them, but cheap insurance isn’t one........ EVs are immensely complex machines that can seldom be fixed at the side of the road.
Weird, because I've just spent some time doing quotes online using cars of similar cost (EV6 GT Vs M3 for example), and the ICE quotes I'm getting are 30% more expensive. There has been coverage of UK drivers facing insurance hikes, but I've heard of no such issues here.

For the record I wouldn't buy an EV right now as I think the rate of development means what's coming in the next few years will be better & cheaper.

Some are very low (see new Honda e:NY1 ) & some ramps not so low .............. need to be extra mindful .................

On Insurance .......".Electric cars have a lot of things going for them, but cheap insurance isn’t one........ EVs are immensely complex machines that can seldom be fixed at the side of the road. What’s more, because of the way they’re geared, they cannot be towed conventionally and usually need to be loaded onto a flatbed lorry even if they’ve only run out of battery power. With a breakdown recovery service often an optional extra on car insurance policies, it seems logical that companies would also factor in the extra recovery costs into an EV owner’s premium." CarZone

AFAIK many ICE autos can't be towed either. But you can put them on Dolly. But a recovery trucks with a winch up onto flatbed is pretty common.

Weird, because I've just spent some time doing quotes online using cars of similar cost (EV6 GT Vs M3 for example), and the ICE quotes I'm getting are 30% more expensive. There has been coverage of UK drivers facing insurance hikes, but I've heard of no such issues here.

For the record I wouldn't buy an EV right now as I think the rate of development means what's coming in the next few years will be better & cheaper.
Thats the real issue ...........pace of change similiar to Mobile Phones & TVS, etc, in terms of better functionality and lower prices but the EV is a much bigger investment, can't just throw in away or sell it for 1/5 of its cost.
I don't have the answer but know many adoping a wait & see ............. which cant go on forever

Thats the real issue ...........pace of change similiar to Mobile Phones & TVS, etc, in terms of better functionality and lower prices but the EV is a much bigger investment, can't just throw in away or sell it for 1/5 of its cost.
But that will settle in the not too distant future much as it has done for phones, now the next generation flagship models are more enhancement than evolution as they were a few years ago.

"immensely complex machines"

Actually the opposite is true. They are vastly simpler with far fewer parts.

The issue of insurance is because some manufacturers do not have good supply lines for the few parts they do have. It's compounded by world events. Even some ICE cars are having problems with supply.

The EV manufacturers also do not have processes in place to repair batteries. So thats an issue. Not many third parties repair them because so few fail there isn't really a big market to sustain that business. But it will come.

Insurance company's are very hasty to write things off. I assume many will have experienced that with ICE cars.

I don't have the answer but know many adoping a wait & see ............. which cant go on forever

What if you buy it for a 1/5th of its cost.

I

I assume many people will still be clutching to a 15yr old Nokia, without updates.
No, I see Apple are discontinuing support for many iPhones - Apple products discontinued in 2023 include the iPhone 13 mini, 13-inch MacBook Pro, MagSafe Battery Pack, MagSafe Duo Charger, and leather accessories. Also,
  • Apple iPad (1st Gen)
  • Apple iPad (2nd Gen)
  • Apple iPhone 4.
  • Apple iPhone 4s.
  • Apple iPhone 5.
  • Apple iPhone 5c.
  • Apple iPhone 5s.
  • keep in mind that Apple only supports software updates up to 6 years after the original release of the device, so the iPhone 8 will likely stop receiving updates by 2024
  • ;)

Back