Driveway Blocked

I have had the same problem with a neighbour of my mothers as regards a private, off street parking space in a paid on street parking area. My mother does not drive but I park regularly ( but not every day) in her spot. The neighbour was of the view that not withstanding that it was a private spot that (a) it was not consistently used and (b) that she would move when she was asked. It took a persistent leaving of notes PLUS a nasty exchange ( after her equally persistent failure to stop parking there ) when I reminded her that even if her spare room was free that I did not feel an entitlement to drop in!

Parking badly is an issue - people who consistently park badly do not react to anything other than a firm request, repeated regularly until it hits home, to stop. Incidently, it is likely that they would more than a little upset themselves if anyone did the same to them.

mf

It prevents them from gaining access so no, people cannot (or rather people should not) park there.

mf

Cannot is the operative word. If there are gates across the driveway, I suggest attaching a "No Parking Day or Night" sign onto them. If someone parks there ring the gardaí and tell them you need access to your driveway. One ticket and they wont park there again. This happened to my flatmate 3 weeks ago (she did the illegal parking), and she never parked there again.

I have always told my neighbour that I have no problem with him using it as he drives two vehicles

That's the point, isn't it? Staff's neighbours have his/her ok so there is no issue. The OP has reason to be upset, I would be livid - they have no right, nor would any well mannered person, take it upon themselves to block your drive without at least paying you the courtesy of popping their head in the door and asking you.

Stand to your guns. Write a pleasant note and make sure you include your name so they know who you are. Include their house number in case they are thick as well as ignorant. This would drive me up the bend, but then again I am not the most tolerant of people!!

ps - dont escalate things by ringing the gardai, load of nonsense. you have to live alongside these people, be firm but friendly in your note and/or in person.

Could you borrow a car? and park it outside?
If its not blocking your driveway,then speaking to them about it is usless.as they can park there legally,if however its blocking your drive way and you have let this go on for a while they may think you are not botered? And may well think they are doing you a favour ie; making it look like the house is occupied?If thats the situation you would end up in an argument for the wrong reasons.
could you tell them that you will have someone staying say,for a week and that you will need the space,this will stop them parking there and they may get out of the habit.And if they mention that your person didnt turn up ,just say you got the weeks wrong and its in fact the following week which puts them out for another week,then contuinue to say that your brother/mother is coming for a few days and they will stop.If they dont then its time to have a word,but its not worth the hassle and heartache before giving it a fair chance..

Again many thanks for all your suggestions.

A bit of an update – himself approached the car owner this evening and the car was moved. At the moment the car is now back outside. . .

We feel at this stage we have no option but to keep quiet as we are new here and will be seen as the **** stirrers so to speak.

A no win situation at the moment.

Thanks for all your advise guys.

Simeon, the problem crops up daily.

To be honest we started feeling like fools when people started bringing it to our attention. We were ignoring it and hoping they would have the manners to move on. On most occassions their gateway is clear.
Who started bringing it to your attention, neighbours or your visitors? If the problem crops up daily ....... I take it that you have visitors daily. Then, in that case whoever parks across your driveway should know better. How far do your visitors have to walk from their car?

Visitors started bringing it to our attention because they had such difficulty parking. They would have to walk approx one or two blocks of houses. Not too far.

Again many thanks for all your suggestions.

A bit of an update – himself approached the car owner this evening and the car was moved. At the moment the car is now back outside. . .

We feel at this stage we have no option but to keep quiet as we are new here and will be seen as the **** stirrers so to speak.

A no win situation at the moment.

Seriously? You asked them to move the car, they did so and then parked there again?

There seems no point in tip-toeing round the issue any more - it's illegal to block a driveway and that's final. Even though you don't drive you should be able to use the space you've paid for for your visitors.

This is bullying behaviour by your neighbours - pure and simple.

The way I would approach this is to ask them again, politely but firmly, to move the car immediately and not to park there again as you want to use your driveway for your visitors. Ignore any "but...but....but..." - it's their problem to find legal parking for their vehicles. Another suggestion is to ask a visitor to come round when the car is parked in the way and then go and ask your neighbour to move it while your visitor waits outside and then parks on the driveway.

If they don't get the message after this then I'm afraid I'd recommend the Gardai, otherwise it'll never stop. It's already impacting your quality of life.

SSE

Another suggestion is to ask a visitor to come round when the car is parked in the way and then go and ask your neighbour to move it while your visitor waits outside and then parks on the driveway.

Which always works best at 3am

You have to keep calm about this, as advised earlier, be friendly but firm. Next time they park their car there ask them to move it again. Make it clear that you dont ever want them to park there. Try to get the wording in your head before this meet happens so that you are comfortable with what you need to say and what you intend to use. It must be clear in the tone that you are telling them not to park there, not asking them not to. Dont use the word please. Something like the following maybe-

"Oh hi. How are you? Listen, we dont want you to park there in the future. It blocks our driveway which our friends use all the time. We must not have made this clear the last time we asked you to move it."

If you dont stand up to them youll have a Flanders type situation, they'll be popping in to borrow your sunday roast and take a turd in your toilet. Did you ever see Me Myself and Irene. Well that'll be you. The neighbours will be more likely to respect you if you stand up for yourselves. And if they dont well sod them, you dont need neighbours like that. I can imagine this is taking over many conversations at home and it is just not right, you should be proud and happy in your home, and not feel like you are being leaned upon. Carpe Diem!!

I think you have to be firm and stand up to them...Its the only way to stop this behaviour. If you really feel bad asking when you have no car, why dont you just bug a very cheap banger and have it parked outside?

S.

How about when you do have visitors ,getting them to park accross the neighbours driveway??or park so near their car that its imposible for them to move it and then they would have to knock into you to ask you to get your visitor to move >or putting up cones,saying you are expecting a skip/delivery.. that would soon teach them..

Just wondering,if its illegally parked,call the garda.If its a public road whats the story there?

I think you have to be firm and stand up to them...Its the only way to stop this behaviour. If you really feel bad asking when you have no car, why dont you just buy a very cheap banger and have it parked outside?S.

Better and easier still. It would be easier if you moved house so before you go let the neighbours in to use your bathroom and your kitchen and your TV, shoes socks jocks and everything else.

Now saying that I do know of people a few years ago, in a similar situation, who asked their neighbours to move their car and a battle ensued. The husband ended up seriously injured in hospital and 7 years later it still hasn't gone to court.

Weigh up the area, the people and their present attitude before you do anything. Every dog has his day.

You have to keep calm about this, as advised earlier, be friendly but firm. Next time they park their car there ask them to move it again. Make it clear that you dont ever want them to park there. Try to get the wording in your head before this meet happens so that you are comfortable with what you need to say and what you intend to use. It must be clear in the tone that you are telling them not to park there, not asking them not to. Dont use the word please. Something like the following maybe-

"Oh hi. How are you? Listen, we dont want you to park there in the future. It blocks our driveway which our friends use all the time. We must not have made this clear the last time we asked you to move it."

If you dont stand up to them youll have a Flanders type situation, they'll be popping in to borrow your sunday roast and take a turd in your toilet. Did you ever see Me Myself and Irene. Well that'll be you. The neighbours will be more likely to respect you if you stand up for yourselves. And if they dont well sod them, you dont need neighbours like that. I can imagine this is taking over many conversations at home and it is just not right, you should be proud and happy in your home, and not feel like you are being leaned upon. Carpe Diem!!

Very funny post! But spot on!

You should be nice about it, but very strong. D'ont beat around the bush by borrowing cars, or making excuses. You dont want them to block your driveway, so just say so. You are worrying too much about what other people think.

If they moved it tonight when asked, but then moved it back across your gate again, I would knock in again and just say straight out that you dont want to fall out with them, but they are not to park there again that you want access to your driveway at all times.

Back