Driveway Blocked

Ireland.1

Myself and my husband have just moved into a new house in Dublin. Already we are having problems with our neighbours who have no problem parking their cars in front of our driveway.

If we have guests over they have to park elsewhere as there is no room to park.

Neither my husband nor I drive our own car, so our neighbours feel that if we don’t drive, than why we should have a problem with them blocking our entrance.

Are we being the unreasonable ones here?

Are we being the unreasonable ones here?

No. Next time someone parks there (when you are not there) go out and leave a note on the windscreen asking them not to park there as they are blocking your access. Take a note of the reg plate too.

If you manage to nab them in person tell them that they cannot block your access like this.

Thank you for your response, Truthseeker.

I agree that a note needs to be left for them. We have been putting this on the long finger as they don’t seem be the most approachable of people. I foolishly though that maybe they might have the manners to see that they were blocking an entrance but as of yet no change. It is pretty embarrassing when we have visitors. We were dreading any confrontation.

Give people an inch and they take a mile.

I have to say that I do think you are being unreasonable. I also don't drive and have a driveway in front of my house but have always told my neighbour that I have no problem with him using it as he drives two vehicles - one for work and his own car. If I do need use of it - i.e. if someone is visiting I will always say it to him and there is no problem with him moving his car. Live and let live is what I say..... You are causing problems where there are none...

You are causing problems where there are none...

Disagree.

I used to rent a place where the landlady lived in the main house, and I rented an apartment to the side, we shared a big driveway. Her BIL used to regularly visit and block my car in. He had no problems moving the car but it was a pain for me to have to go in and ask him to move his car each time. You shouldnt have to do that.

The OP may not always know when visitors are dropping in, you shouldnt have to live your life around asking people to move their car - expecially when they are being rude enough to block your driveway, which they shouldnt be doing anyway.

OP - dont worry about them not being approachable, just approach them and tell them that your access is blocked and would they mind leaving space for your visitor to get into your driveway. 99% of people would be reasonable if asked that in a polite manner.

Thank you for your response, Staff.

I take your point on board. We don’t want to cause any confrontation with these people . . .

Disagree.
just approach them and tell them that your access is blocked and would they mind leaving space for your visitor to get into your driveway. 99% of people would be reasonable if asked that in a polite manner.

+1 . I would approach them personally rather than leave a note.

What about if you park your own car in front of your driveway, leaving your
driveway empty, but preserving your right of way in or out of your drive?

I know this might seem a bit unnecessary, and you may feel like your car would
be safer inside the drive, but at least it would enable you to move your car with
some level of freedom and if you are having guests over you can move your
car to allow them park in your driveway.

Just a suggestion. You have as much entitlement to use the road outside your
driveway as anybody else.

Edit: This assumes you have a car - you stated that you and your husband don't drive
your own car. Does this mean you don't own a car? If so, my suggestion is irrelevant!

What about if you park your own car in front of your driveway, leaving your
driveway empty, but preserving your right of way in or out of your drive?

I know this might seem a bit unnecessary, and you may feel like your car would
be safer inside the drive, but at least it would enable you to move your car with
some level of freedom and if you are having guests over you can move your
car to allow them park in your driveway.

Just a suggestion. You have as much entitlement to use the road outside your
driveway as anybody else.

Neither my husband nor I drive our own car, so our neighbours feel that if we don’t drive, than why we should have a problem with them blocking our entrance.

I have to say that I do think you are being unreasonable. I also don't drive and have a driveway in front of my house but have always told my neighbour that I have no problem with him using it as he drives two vehicles - one for work and his own car. If I do need use of it - i.e. if someone is visiting I will always say it to him and there is no problem with him moving his car. Live and let live is what I say..... You are causing problems where there are none...

just wondering staff, would you be responsible for your neighbours vehicle (insurance wise) when its parked on your property. just a thought.

It is not on my property - it is outside my gate.... Sorry if you misunderstood me.

Yes demoivre, the OP doesn't mention anywhere that they don't have a car. I just thought
it possible that they had a car but both walked or used public transport. That
doesn't seem to be the case.

No there is no car in our household which makes us look like we are inciting trouble by asking others to move. Also lately we have noticed there is plenty of space elsewhere but they still choose to park outside ours.

No there is no car in our household which makes us look like we are inciting trouble by asking others to move. Also lately we have noticed there is plenty of space elsewhere but they still choose to park outside ours.

Sounds to me like they are inciting trouble, not you.

I think you are as well off to live and let live. If ye did have your own car in the driveway the visitors would have to park on the street and God forbid if ye were having more than one set of friends. How often does the problem crop up?

I think they're entitled to park outside your house on the public kerb but not outside your driveway.

I would ask them to move it with the excuse that you hope to have friends over that evening for dinner.

I would make a point of asking them at least once a week - eventually they will tire of moving their car for you and park it properly. They also will no doubt notice that your guests never arrive - to which you will reply that you visited them instead, their babysitter cancelled, they took the bus instead, you all went to the pub etc etc.

White lies, yes; but they should all prevent a falling-out.

Its illegal to park on front of someones driveway. If you are in an urban area, call the clampers/parking enforcement. They wont know its you that reported it - for all they know the enforcement people could have on their rounds - and after getting a couple of clamps/tickets, I bet they dont do it again.

Maybe not the best idea. The clampers don't pull me when I occasionally park on the street outside my driveway. The culprits would soon put two and two together and get FOUR. Now this would really alienate you. So, whichever is the most important .........

Anybody can park by the side of the road outside your house, you have no right to that space. However if they are blocking access to your driveway then they are illegally parked. I would leave a note on the windscreen. However if the same car repeatedly blocked the entrance, ignoring your say 3 notes, I would call the police or traffic wardens.

Thanks for all your advise guys.

I think you are as well off to live and let live. If ye did have your own car in the driveway the visitors would have to park on the street and God forbid if ye were having more than one set of friends. How often does the problem crop up?

Simeon, the problem crops up daily.

To be honest we started feeling like fools when people started bringing it to our attention. We were ignoring it and hoping they would have the manners to move on. On most occassions their gateway is clear.

Back