Does anyone know the company "Gas Wise"?

khairabar

I have a quote from a company called "Gas Wise" for replacement gas boiler. The rep says they are one of the biggest gas installers in the country, but their stated address on Rathmines Road he says is "closed" and all post is being "redirected". I am to send a deposit cheque to an individual in a village in Co. Louth. Does anyone know is this a reliable company or anything about their work? Apparently they are registered for the SEAI grant schemes etc.
kb

I've used them for boiler services for the last 6 or 7 years and have always found them very good. No affiliation.

I was looking at using them too. I notice their website has no address listed on it. Their quote is very competitive. I'll ask them for references for their most recent jobs.

CBGB, pls let us know as soon as you get any good refs as I'm very keen to use them just based on how knowledgeable and professional the rep sounds. There is no doubt he knows what he is talking about, and the quote at about €2,900 for replacement 60kBTU (condensing) boiler, €700 SEAI-grant eligible, as well as relocation out of bedroom into garage seems reasonable compared to what I heard.

gaswise

I have had the unfortunate luck to employ Gaswise Rathmines to install a boiler in my home 4 years ago for which I paid a large amount of money. In that time I have had nothing but trouble and have had to call them out 12 times since for which I have had to pay call out charges and service charges each time. I am now here waiting for them to call for 13th time to fix my boiler which is leaking yet again and for which I have had to take time off work again. I have been informed that I will have another €90 call out charge just to tell me what is wrong. I strongly do not recommend anyone to use Gaswise as I feel like their personal cash machine at this stage.

gkeane,

what kind of boiler is it, and what kind of problems are you having with it?

I have had the unfortunate luck to employ Gaswise Rathmines to install a boiler in my home 4 years ago for which I paid a large amount of money. In that time I have had nothing but trouble and have had to call them out 12 times since for which I have had to pay call out charges and service charges each time. I am now here waiting for them to call for 13th time to fix my boiler which is leaking yet again and for which I have had to take time off work again. I have been informed that I will have another €90 call out charge just to tell me what is wrong. I strongly do not recommend anyone to use Gaswise as I feel like their personal cash machine at this stage.

12 times, hey? And you're still payin them? First post? Get a grip on yourself..

So any updates on Gaswise??

Hi guys

how'd you get on with the references etc...i'm thinking of using Gaswise myself - got a quote etc - would love to know if I should proceed (it's for my parents and as they're pensioners i really don't want to mess it up by choosing the wrong installers)

Any more info please?
Thanks
DrF ;-)

why not look up some of the recommended installers here

Thanks for the tip DGBOS...where abouts on here are they on here all i can find is a list of suppliers?

Ps. sorry if i'm hijacking your thread Khairabar...i'll put up my own post in a bit :)

I am currently a G@@wise customer, and all we can suggest is that you ENSURE that you get EVERYTHING in writing from them, and DO NOT, under any circumstances, rely on verbal communication. We foolishly thought this would be okay, and are now learning the hard way that you must get everything in writing, even the tiniest of changes. Right now we are in the middle of several disagreements and we are scared they are now going to pull out of their contract.

Do not use them, as they have not handled our project, which is costing us in excess of €12,000, with the professionalism you would expect. They do not explain works properly, have been EXTREMELY messy an. BUYER BEWARE.

There is no doubt he knows what he is talking about, and the quote at about €2,900 for replacement 60kBTU (condensing) boiler, €700 SEAI-grant eligible, as well as relocation out of bedroom into garage seems reasonable compared to what I heard.

The grant they have quoted is the old grant. The new SEAI grant that is available is €400 for the heating control upgrade and €160 for the HE boiler, thus giving you a grant of €560. The BER will also cost you in addition to this and the grant for that is now reduced to €80.

Bad Experience with GasWise

In December of last year (2013) I learnt of a GasWise (GW) offer to service a gas boiler for €50 from an email circulated by the 123.ie insurance company to its clients. And so I engaged them, however a few hours after their service the boiler stopped working. GW came back twice more to attempt to resurrect the boiler and the same thing happened both times, meaning that after some jiggling they got the boiler going but it stopped a few hours later. They made several guesses regarding the causes of the problem (different each time), sending me on wild goose chases in my own subsequent attempts to find a solution, which I eventually did through appropriate enquiries and the internet. It was very simple and should have been found quickly by a competent installer, especially one that claims to be an expert in my make of boiler, as GW does. It was implemented by another installer in ten minutes (I could have easily done this myself but had to employ an RGI installer by law). The boiler has been running beautifully since then. Technical competence aside, GW’s conduct towards me, the customer, was appalling. After their first return they bluntly and rudely refused to come back or discuss the issue, showing a callous indifference to leaving me, a 67 year old pensioner, with no heat during a chilly spell and Christmas round the corner, a situation they created. They only returned the second time after intervention from 123 to whom I complained. (After that second return they claimed to 123 they fixed the boiler which of course they hadn’t). From then on they were rude and obstructive in various ways. They did not return phone calls or respond to emails. They refused to disclose or discuss what they did with the boiler on their various visits to help me move forward with a solution. They were not averse to overcharging either. One of their proposed solutions involved changing an irrelevant cheap component and for that work they quoted double the amount of other installers. Whilst searching for a way to restore my boiler I was freezing for two weeks. GW wasted countless hours of my time in forcing me to seek a solution, they caused me a lot of discomfort and distress, and in the end cost me more than a conventional service would and refused to refund me the money I paid them. In conclusion, if you have a routine issue then maybe GW are ok. But if you expect a thoughtful and committed approach to problem solving, and the most basic courtesy and customer care, then look elsewhere. Why take the risk, there is plenty of installers out there with all those attributes.

I am sorry to hear this & I'm afraid is becoming more frequent.
IMO, customers should go on recommendation to an independent RGI. Once they have found a decent one, stick with him as he will also get to know the querks of your system.

I am sure you will use your new found RGI in future & recommend him on.

I agree with Shane, find a good RGI service man and stick with him, you will get much better and personal service.

It has also been documented here previously that the €50 offers for servicing can't be doing a fully comprehensive service, it just isn't economically viable.

I am sorry to hear this & I'm afraid is becoming more frequent.
IMO, customers should go on recommendation to an independent RGI. Once they have found a decent one, stick with him as he will also get to know the querks of your system.

I am sure you will use your new found RGI in future & recommend him on.

I'd like to stress here there was nothing quirky about my boiler. It was rather an issue of competence and indifference on the part of GW. In the first place they did not cop on that you do not leave a customer with a mess you create. Secondly they either did not have the competence (which I believe) or could not be bothered to either think or make use of resources available to them. Whichever way, I'm beginning to believe the RGI qualification thing is a joke.

Back