Dating Websites - Do people really meet their match on them?

lets just say - to the guy whose handbrake I sat on and disengaged while smooching at the local lovers lane resulting in us starting to roll down a mountain, followed by me jumping off the handbrake and smacking my head off the rearview mirror which then fell off the windscreen and broke, and then while being driven home accidently dropped a lit cigarette into the side pocket of the drivers door causing a map and some work dockets to go on fire, causing an emergency stop on the M50 with a lot of flapping, and flames - im sorry, but why did you ask for a second date????????

:eek:!!!

It sounds like something from Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em or the like...

Thanks for sharing Truthseeker.

you've made me feel a whole lot better :)

Off to the dublin mountains on a first date? You're very brave Truthseeker :)

I've been dipping into these sites for a while now, but only going on a few dates with about 4 or 5 months. Have had some good and some not so, but no disasters at all, and am still in touch with a couple of guys even though there was no click, we compare/commiserate on progress!

The sites are getting very popular, and lots of really young people (early 20's) using them for the same reasons of pub/club not being a good way to meet people.

It's not hard to meet people on them, it's a case of weeding out the chancers and making sure that both are looking for same thing, whatever that might be, so you don't waste each other's time. A big disadvantage is the amount of guys just looking to hook up, so best to be clear on that from outset if that's not what you are looking for.
Edited to add: Another disadvantage is the amount of people on there who are not in any frame of mind to be dating - they might be jsut out of a breakup or whatever, and this is an outlet.

The photo thing I'm between two minds on - you will get a lot more attention with photo up, but have found it's not always better attention . Sometimes the more interesting and genuine people are the ones who look beyond the photo to your profile and then get in touch based on that.

This might sound daft, but Facebook is turning out to be a great way to meet people - there are several applications on there for dating - Are You Interested is one, also Meet New People and Make New Friends - very simple and straighforward and without the cringe factor of writing a poxy description of yourself. I've had one date through that, and it went well, we are still in touch and will probably meet again.

Whatever about joining one which I'm still in 2 minds about I really don't think I'd put my picture up.
If I got chatting to someone I would have no problem sending one if they asked but thats it.

Mel - do you mind disclosing which site you're on, you can pm with it if you want

ci1 - speaking from my own experience I didnt really bother with profiles with no piccies, just really cos it was easier - seemed like hassle having to arrange for someone to send it - also meant you had invested some time and then if you didnt like the pic how do you politely say 'not interested'? whereas if you could just see the pic up front you could just not contact the person if they werent your type physically anyway.

Last edited:
A lot of people are shy about photos though.
I don't mind if someone contacts me without photo as they will usually send one on once chatting, although have to say I can't remember contacting anyone myself who didn't have photo up. Swap pics asap though I would say for same reason truthseeker says - it's less awkward to get out of it if not interested.

I pm'd you the site ci1.

I can recommend MaybeFriends.com as it worked for me. Joined before Christmas 2001, met a 'lovely girl' in June '02, been together ever since, we're getting married next year. Also a friend of mine who joined after me met a 'lovely guy' after a couple of months, got married, had a child and are still together 3 years later.

The social nights were great craic, and I joined because I wasn't a great pubbing person, was EXTREMELY shy and I decided to use the technology at my disposal.

However, as they say in the States, 'Your Mileage May Vary'.

I noticed a dating service on the RTE teletext. Has anyone (with a story to tell;) of course ) ever tried that ?

Lived in Australia for a few years and the majority of my over 30 friends had met via the internet (might be related to the fact that most of us worked in IT!).......Have done some internet dating here myself....Have met some lovely guys and one psycho so you have to be careful.

Met my other half on www.plentyoffish.com. Early days but so far so good! His Valentines Day offerings yesterday were incredibly impressive!

our office has 3 single women and we all went to a speed dating night paid for by the boss(said he wanted to get rid of one of us)

Out of 12 guys I would reckon 7-8 were oddballs and the rest were ok. One guy looked about 60 and had a daughter the same age as me! So was not interested in a date, sorry.

We had a great night, but did not take it seriously.

Not sure I would go to one again

well I signed up to plentyoffish a few days ago, encouraged by this thread and with no previous experience of dating websites its actually looking really promising.... just hope to god shes not really a man with an identity disorder psychosis ....:eek:

lets just say - to the guy whose handbrake I sat on and disengaged while smooching at the local lovers lane resulting in us starting to roll down a mountain, followed by me jumping off the handbrake and smacking my head off the rearview mirror which then fell off the windscreen and broke, and then while being driven home accidently dropped a lit cigarette into the side pocket of the drivers door causing a map and some work dockets to go on fire, causing an emergency stop on the M50 with a lot of flapping, and flames - im sorry, but why did you ask for a second date????????

that was the funniest thing i`ve EVER read on AAM... you`ve made my day. :D

Pleased to give you a giggle :)
Me too..crackin up laughin here!
I once went out with a guy who had narcolepsy, i kid you not! Imagine how interesting i must have looked when people seen him unconcious asleep beside me when either out for lunch, driving and yes even the pub!! I actually really liked the guy, but after spending alot of dates talking to myself i called it quits...:D

Me too..crackin up laughin here!
I once went out with a guy who had narcolepsy, i kid you not! Imagine how interesting i must have looked when people seen him unconcious asleep beside me when either out for lunch, driving and yes even the pub!! I actually really liked the guy, but after spending alot of dates talking to myself i called it quits...:D

I certainly hope he didnt fall asleep in the throes of passion!!!

I certainly hope he didnt fall asleep in the throes of passion!!!
mmmmmm.....well...thats another story...he also had cataplexy so sudden "energy bursts" shall we say triggered off a whole different scenario! Nice guy though seriously...

Back