credit card debt with AIB

M

monkeysaurus

Irish but no longer resident in Ireland
Long standing credit card debt with AIB which I've really longfingered

They've now passed it on to a collection agency in the UK.

I cannot afford to clear it - perhaps can settle 50% now. The agency in question seems to have a rep for being very aggressive so I don't want to deal with them.

Will AIB Credit Card services deal with me?
Whats the best approach?

Why not contact AIB Visa in Dublin. It would seem that you may have ignored matters in the past.

Realistically you need to deal with AIB themselves and not their hired guns. They should bite the hand off you at the moment for 50%.

Hi Monkeysaurus

Call AIB credit card centre on 01 6685500 between 9-5pm and ask to speak to the credit control department in relation to the letter you received. They should be able to sort out a payment plan directly with you.

thanks - that brings me to my next question

what's the best approach on the phone? complete penitence? businesslike?

although the debt isnt huge by most standards (4K) I'd like to settle on payments as I dont have it as a lumpsum

I would agree with being professional when you speak to them. Acknowledge the fact that you have left this debt unpaid until now, but assure them that you are willing to pay it back. Also, decide beforehand precisely how much you can comfortably afford to pay in each instalment. Best of luck.

Chances are that if they have passed on the debt to a collection agent, it means they have sold your debt and no longer have any interest in it and will tell you to contact the collection agent. No harm in trying though

I agree with Sunny, these agencys 'buy' debts at a reduced rate and will persue you themselves. You need to stop burying your head in the sand, contact the bank first and see what they say.

AIB cannot help - it has been passed on and is nothing to do with them now.

Having googled the collection agency, it seems they are not very open to payment plans.

What's the best way to approach them?

So what do I do?
Their letter says they'll pass it on to a Swiss lawyer within 14 days of the letter which was posted feb 5

this is the firm
[broken link removed]

The lady on the phone said there was nothing they could do - the debt was no longer to them

Have you had a letter of assignment from the debt collectors which basically says that AIB sold the debt? If not there is a good chance that the debt is still with AIB and they can deal with it.

Dear ---------

Client Allied Irish Bank
Debt Due 4,567.47

As you have failed to reduce your debt to our client this account is now being passed for immediate legela action to:

Litigation will commence fourteen days from this letter's date.

The solicitors will demand full legal costs plus interest on the above debt./

Your Sincerly

Hmmm cannot make a call again from here, but maybe I'll ring the bank again tomorrow

Back