Key Post Cork Things to Do

We decided to go to Kinsale instead, 3 night midweek break, so in that time going to Blarney, Charlsfort, Cobh, Foto park, Clonakilty, Inchocovey beach, stick in a ghost tour, mum was down there recently, said Man Fridays (very good restuarant) doing early bird 3 course at €25 each. Then on the Friday, on way home, going into Cork city .

You do realise that Cork county is the largest in Ireland ? I'd do less to pack in more..............

Yeah I know but if we need to cut something out, that is fine, just an itinerary, we are going to play it by ear. On the Tuesday, potter about kinsale, ghost tour, perhaps charlsfort for a nosey, Wednesday go to the blarney castle and then on teh way back go through clonakilty, go for walk on Inchydoney beach. If we can't fit it in, leave the beach bit out, then next day is cobh a.m. and fota wildlife park p.m. Friday is English market, so its kind of putting stuff together when we are in that vicinity. Sounds like a lot but I think the plan just might work! We are driving from Monaghan so a trip around Cork is fine.

while you are pottering about Kinsale, if you like fish the fishy fishy cafe/restaurant is a must! And in the city, an O'Connaills hot choc or anything from there (on French Church Street just off Patrick Street - the little pedestrian street to the left of the Moderne shop) is a definite must!!! Mouth watering just thinking about it!

You could do Clonakilty in the evening - same day as Kinsale. Just get to Innishannon from Kinsale and you can go to Clonakilty that way.

Inchydoney isn't near Blarney at all. I'd do Blarney with the English market. There is a hop on hop off bus that goes around city and out to Blarney so you could do that. So if you went to Blarney in the morning, you could pop back into city for lunch in the English Market - as far as I remember Farm Gate is still there. Then after a wander around you could go to Shandon Bells or City Gaol too that day.

I heard of Fishy fishy, great reviews, love to go but meant to be pricey, not doing any specials either, don't have to, might go for a main course just, will see, fish is my favourite, followed by chocolate! O'Connaills it is.
Good tip re Blarney hop on off, will sort it out in our heads in Kinsale when we get there, hopefully over some seafood chowder. MMMmmmmm!

Sorry, but thinking about what you said g1g and you are right, if you are in cork just get the bus to Blarney castle. Makes more sense, can I just ask, we will be coming from Kinsale, do you know where we would park at all for the day whilst we go around the place please? Cheap of course.

If you're bussing it anyway, get the Park n Ride from the Black Ash, just off the Kinsale road roundabout, into the city centre and grab your bus from there. TBH, if you have a car, you'd be better off driving yourself. Man Friday's in Kinsale is fantastic, good fish menu there. Fishy Fishy is the best, but Friday's isn't so far off it.

Definitely use Black Ash park and ride if you are going to be in the city more than 2 hours. It's on the way into the city from Kinsale. Last time I used it it was €5 but may have increased - that includes parking and bus in and out for all occupants of the car.

Was thinking of the hop on hop off bus for ye if you wanted to see Blarney and something else like Shandon Bells or City Gaol aswell as some info on the city. I'd only use the hop on/hop off bus if you were planing on doing more than just Blarney Castle, otherwise a short drive out to Blarney would be best.

By the way, you can't go to Kinsale without getting a 99 - It's an unwritten rule ;) - and maybe some fish & chips from Dino's. You can sit inside but if the weather is good it's so much nicer sitting out on the wall by the water and feeding your leftover chips to the sea gulls!

Enjoy your trip!

I heard of Fishy fishy, great reviews, love to go but meant to be pricey, not doing any specials either, don't have to, might go for a main course just, will see, fish is my favourite, followed by chocolate! O'Connaills it is.
Good tip re Blarney hop on off, will sort it out in our heads in Kinsale when we get there, hopefully over some seafood chowder. MMMmmmmm!

O'Connaills is in the city so you may have to wait til the next day for that!! Well worth it though!

Thanks for all your help, I am sure you have all made the holiday more enjoyable now. Only 3 more work sleeps until holidays, woo hoo!

For adventure activities check out the book 30 Irish Adventures [broken link removed]. The book lists 30 different adventure activities around Ireland including
Sea Kayaking at Sandycove and Kinsale and surfing on Garretstown beach just outside Cork.

Also check out the site for adventure activities. You can log your own activities or find adventure activities others have written about.

Thanks - ended up in Market Lane and the Cornstore. Both were reasonably priced and pretty good. Would definitely go back to the Market Lane wouldn't rush back to Cornstore.

I went to college in Cork, and one of my favourite things to do was to visit Cobh when one of the HUGE Cruise ships docked . They are amazing to just sit and look at. Even today I am still shocked by the sheer size of them. As Cobh is a deep water port the very big ones can come right up to the town. Here is a link to the dates they are visiting in 2010. Remenber that they dock early in the morning and sail-away around 6pm on the same day.

http://www.portofcork.ie/about.aspx?id=90014

Back