Key Post Cork Things to Do

Abbica

Hi, it will be out first year anniversary on the first weekend of September, and for a treat as we really shouldn't be treating ourselves due to limited funds, we were thinking of going on one of the breaks to Cork for 2 nights. Can anyone recommend things to do in cork or surrounding areas that my be good, we will have our own car, or where would be nice to go for something to eat in the evening, anything cheap and cheerful for lunch? Is Bunratty too far to head over for the day, how far is it from cork city centre? So many question!!

Re: supervalue break to Cork - things to do?

I think you meant Blarney and not Bunratty, Bunratty is a good 2-3 hours drive from Cork, Blarney, 20 minutes

some other recomendations

The English Market off Patrick Street is good for a wander
Long Valley next to Brown Thomas and just off Patrick Street for the finest sandwiches in Ireland
Midleton Distellery 30 minutes from Cork
Fota and Cobh
Crawford Gallery in the city centre does great lunches

Have a look and see if there is anything on in the Opera House or Everyman theater

We are actually heading to Cork City on a 2 night SV break this weekend ,and were wondering the same thing .

Thanks for tips above . Will definately checkout some of thoses places .

Could someone let us know the best shopping centres in the Cork area pleas e

For shopping the Mahon Shopping Centre just off the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

Try Kinsale and Charlesfort(great unique fortress), 30 minutes from the city. Blarney is very cheezy, but if you go make sure you wear your checkered clothing to blend in!!

Sorry, meant to say Blarney is right. thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of Fota park, love that place but can I ask, what is there in Cobh? Just a lovely village?

I've heard great things about the sea safari tours that start by the Clarion Hotel and do tours around the harbour. Not done it yet myself but is definitely on my list of things to do. Google "Sea safari and Cork". And could finish it with a cocktail on the boardwalk by the Clarion!

Try Kinsale and Charlesfort(great unique fortress), 30 minutes from the city. Blarney is very cheezy, but if you go make sure you wear your checkered clothing to blend in!!
loved Charlesfort, we got a great guide the day we went who really brought the place to life for us.
english market is superb and definitely worth a visit.

Cobh has the Queenstown Story Museum and Cobh Cathedral ... and a lovely steep walk up to it - or you could drive! Fota is great too, Charlesfort is gorgeous and has some lovely pubs and restaurants nearby aswell as Kinsale.

Other things to do in Cork are Shandon Bells, City Gaol, there's also a hop on, hop off bus that will take you as far out as Blarney.

Nice to visit West Cork too. Clonakilty is lovely with Inchydoney beach nearby. Bantry is nice too (Love the Brick Oven for lunch!) and go to Barleycove Beach on the way to Mizen Head - you can walk all the way out to the lighthouse.

For the evening you could see what is on in the Cork Opera House or Everyman Theatre. For rainy days there are some lunch time theatre events in the Triskel Arts theatre too (very near the Opera House). Also Mardyke Arena has bowling etc where you can have drink while you play and also has Karoke pods. Plenty of restaurants and pubs to chose from. Alot of shops open late on Friday night til 9 too.

Good posts, everybody and especially g1g.

The one I like most is Mpsox's one about The Long Valley pub. It's my favourite pub in the whole, wide world. A truly bohemian experience.

And he's right about the sandwiches. "They're massive, boy!" I always had the pork salad one in the late 70's and early 80's and I was never disappointed.

Also, check out the following website before ye come to "Town".

[broken link removed]

It'll let ye know what's happening while ye're here in the real capital! ;)

Hope ye have a great time here.

Good posts, everybody and especially g1g.

The one I like most is Mpsox's one about The Long Valley pub. It's my favourite pub in the whole, wide world. A truly bohemian experience.

And he's right about the sandwiches. "They're massive, boy!" I always had the pork salad one in the late 70's and early 80's and I was never disappointed.

Also, check out the following website before ye come to "Town".

[broken link removed]

It'll let ye know what's happening while ye're here in the real capital! ;)

Hope ye have a great time here.

Beef salad sandwich and a pint of Murphy's on a winters afternoon in the Long Valley is my idea of heaven. No dinner needed after that

Great suggestions is right, only problem is I only have 2 nights, wish I could go for a week, oh to be rich and frivolous, in my dreams..... Just have to go back again but to prioritise, what to pick...

I have loads of tokens just looking for the books to put them in. Are they gone from the supermarkets now? I havent seen any in my local store.

Beef salad sandwich and a pint of Murphy's on a winters afternoon in the Long Valley is my idea of heaven. No dinner needed after that

Pork salad and Beamish is a great alternative! Variety is the spice of life. Try them both, Abbica! ;)

Loved greyhound racing in Cork, got gorgeous meal.

oh yeah ... forgot about that. Saturday night at the dogs is great. You don't have to go for a meal though (even though I do agree I had fab one there too!). You have to book table for meal & racing a good bit in advance generally but might be quieter these days.

Hi,just back from a Heatons Break, €199 for 2BB1D or 3BB1D midweek, Supervalu charge a supplement of €20 extra per person for July and August.

Check out Stickyfingers, a website for travelling with kids and they have a discount section for tourist attractions in North and South Ireland, one is for Fota "Two for one" on two adults.

Stayed in Thurles last year and we travelled down to the Mitchellstown Caves, well worth it, fantastic tour experience if you could fit it in, was something like €3.50 each.

Enjoy your hols.....

Shopping
You’ll find no shortage of internationally recognised brands in and around Cork City. For a more unique shopping experience, however, why not try the English Market, on Grand Parade, a gourmet’s heaven, the English Market is where Corkonians and visitors alike shop for anything from organic vegetables to fresh fish, homemade pasta to whiffy cheese. As famed for its atmosphere and architecture as for its produce, take an hour to wander through and soak up the bustle of Cork retail as it has been for over a century.

If books tickle your interest, you’ll find large, mainstream bookshops readily in Cork. For a better deal and a more authentic experience, why not shop at Connolly’s Bookshop in Paul Street, or Vibes and Scribes on Patrick’s Hill? Both are well known for their huge supply of books, both new and used, and you’ll find it nigh on impossible to leave without at least a few purchases.

Eat & Drink:

Whether it’s a gourmet sausage on a stick in the English Market or a slap-up vegetarian meal in the renowned Café Paradiso on Washington Street, or for anything in between, Cork has an option to suit every taste and budget. If the weather allows, enjoy an outdoor meal in the French Quarter or pack a picnic at the English Market to be eaten in the park. Alternatively, while away an afternoon nursing a delicious hot chocolate (in any range of flavours) in one of Cork’s many chocolateries. When you arrive here, we’ll give you up to date information on where’s hot to grab a bite in Cork.

Theatre & Movies:
Whatever your tastes in theatre, Cork will have an option for you. December and January is Panto season, however, so the two main theatres (Cork Opera House and the Everyman Palace) will be overtaken by fairytales and children during Cork Worlds. If this is your thing you can check out listings at www.corkoperahouse.ie and www.everymanpalace.ie. Alternatively, you may prefer to check out some of Cork’s smaller blackbox theatres – The Half Moon on Emmet Place, The Triskel on Tobin Street, Cork Arts Theatre on Camden Quay, the Firkin Crane at the top of Shandon St and UCC’s own Granary Theatre on Dyke Parade all have lively seasons. For up to date listings check out their links.

If you’d rather see a movie than a show, then you have three options. The Gate Cinema and Mahon Point Cinema both offer mainstream commercial cinema. The former is older and smaller, but it is cheaper and in the centre of town. The latter is newer, bigger, more comfortable but is more expensive and is a busride away in the Mahon Point Shopping Centre. Average price is €7-€8 for a ticket and €5 for popcorn and a drink. See www.corkcinemas.com and www.omniplex.ie to see what’s showing in each. If you’re interest is in foreign or independent film, the Kino Cinema on Washington Street is for you. It’s old and small, but the smell of coffee (in a real mug!) and a good film is a perfect way to while away a rainy afternoon in Cork. Check www.kinocinema.net for listings.

Music:
The Jazz Capital of Ireland, Cork offers a vast array of musical opportunities, whether you’re looking for jazz and blues or traditional Irish and international. You’ll find a huge range of gigs on offer every night in Cork, some free and some with admission charges. We’ll be providing you with an updated guide of gigs in the area when you arrive here. The Old Oak Bar in Cork is a particular favourite, holding top quality gigs on a regular basis in a truely Irish setting.

Clubbing:
Cork has plenty mainstream clubs playing chart hits, hip hop, R&B and pop. For a more distinctive Cork experience, though, try some of the following clubnights…

Freakscene – Wednesday’s at The Works on Oliver Plunket Street 11pm - Adm €6 (concessions widely available in pubs throughout the city on Wednesday nights)

Spread over two floors, Freakscene has been Cork’s most legendary clubnight for more than a decade. Playing alternative and rock upstairs and cheesy disco classics downstairs, it is popular with Cork’s student population.

Kickback – Friday’s at The Everyman Palace on McCurtain Street at 11pm- Adm €10

If you don’t want to go to a seasonal panto, one of the weekend clubnights at the Everyman Palace is the perfect chance to experience this traditional red-curtain theatre. At Kickback, chill out in the theatre bar or enjoy a wide selection of music in the theatre.

Movies vs Music – Saturdays at the Everyman Palace on McCurtain Street at 11pm - Adm €10

Just like Kickback, except with the added benefit of showing some classic and cult movies in one room while playing the latest sounds in another.

Doubletime – Last Friday of every Month at the Spailpin Fanach, South Main Street - Adm €5

Self-styled ‘a night of hot swing and jazz with DJ Gary’ Doubletime brings guests back to the ‘30’s and ‘40’s in a great underground atmosphere. Dress to impress and leave the noughties at the door. If you miss Doubletime, don’t worry…DJ Gary will be joining us on 31 December to ring in the New Year and party like it’s 1929.

picked up a "whazon" recently and had some good deals for 2 for 1 to city gaol etc.

Thanks for all your suggesstions, they are great. We decided to go to Kinsale instead, 3 night midweek break, so in that time going to Blarney, Charlsfort, Cobh, Foto park, Clonakilty, Inchocovey beach, stick in a ghost tour, mum was down there recently, said Man Fridays (very good restuarant) doing early bird 3 course at €25 each. Then on the Friday, on way home, going into Cork city and going to the English Market, wander the streets and grab a picnic, eat it in the park, if the weather is bad, go to that Long Valley place. I really can't wait, heading off next Tuesday, hope the weather is nice. Hanging for this break.

Back