Cape Verde

Internet link blocked at work but there was a paragraph in that Sun article about him being the only person living in the block of 30 apartments.

Indeed

At present they are the only tenants in their apartment complex of 30 flats but all the properties have been sold — mainly to other British and Irish couples looking for a slice of the new investment cake.

This thread is so large at this point. I once read through it but maybe it needs to be summarised with pros and cons ?
I am definitely skeptical about Cape Verde. I would much rather find out some info about the Bahamas which are a cheap 45 minute flight from Miami and Orlando and hence are in a safe part of the world close to necessary supplies.

Can anyone inform us the prices and availability of ordinary every day goods in cape verde ?

such as for example

bread,
milk
butter
internet <<< availability and pricing ?
Satellite Television <<< availability and pricing ?
Libraries / bookstores ?
Health care <<< availability and pricing ?
luxury goods ? do they have super markets ? The sun article suggested they didnt even have super markets but only small corner shops.
Please elaborate on this and more. Are there ever shortages or an absence of things we take for granted in Ireland ?

The sun article was not a "reported "piece but a paid piece by a developer/agent, as most travel pieces are, sorry if people were misled !
Lets not go down the CV versus Bahamas route, by all means well informed comment and personal experience is great but as i have found, to my ridicule, the quote of , there are lies, dammned lies, and statistics, really does apply.Is CV, Bahamas or Yemen a good investment, Who knows,
Were Banks good investments 2 yrs ago, Property 5 years ago, Dot Com Shares 10 years ago,
Would all the experts who touted their particular products/services like to explain where we all went wrong as they seem to be very quiet.

According to the Sun article

"They were living in a one-bedroom flat, paying £500 a week rent and were becoming disillusioned with the UK for a variety of reasons ...........“England for me was becoming total stress,” said Dave “

£500 sterling a week. That's E631 pw for a one bed flat in Bognor Regis. No wonder they were disillusioned with the UK, and we thought we were being overcharged in Ireland for property rental.

I wonder whereabouts in Ireland would you rent a one bed appartment for E2,500pm and how many lorry drivers would you expect to have as neighbours?

If these pair, who are obviously very astute with money, ("Dave said: “In four or five years property prices are going to double or even treble") decided to jack in the day job and splurge their inheritance on a property in some tiny island off the coast of Africa, do you think it's sensible for you to follow their lead.

Murt

Looks to be rain on 6 of the next 8 days in tenerife....according to local forecast this time!
http://www.tenerifetimes.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,8/

How many people, with hindsight, would have chosen to stay on a plane that bit longer ( not much more than an hour ) for the better weather on offer?
Many I'm sure would say yes - when all the facilities are ready in Cape Verde that have been readily available for years now,in Canaries.
IMO property owners and businesses in the Canaries will still do ok - but CV will be taking away much of their sun holiday "monopoly".
And CV still offers bargain prices in comparison - although they seem to be rising at a quicker rate of late.
"Googling" Cape Verde's weather shows much more promising weather, by the way ( mainly sun/ 25c ). To me, it's a no-brainer: 2 weeks of dodgy, unpredictable, (mainly wet?) weather for an Easter/other break, or 2 weeks of near perfect weather?

PS To try and answer Stir Crazy's points, I think everyday goods are available in corner shops at prices similar to those in Spain. No supermarkets as far as I'm aware. Healthcare is pretty much lacking at the moment- yet improving all the time. There are numerous internet cafes and Sat tv is also available-but I would not like to bet on english programmes being widely broadcast . I would think that it will become more available though- as it did in Canaries. Do not know about prices. Finally, do not think libraries are too common!

So if the weather is good in a particular place then your going to make loads of money. Clutching at straws comes to mind. I have said it before and I will say it again. Over development, to many new builds, no resale market, to many properties fighting for for to few renters. This place will be a disaster with regards to making money from property investment. It has been hyped up to the last like all other places. It will be popular place for a year or two to be able to say you bought a place there and then it will die a death. People wont be able to give these places away. Look what happened in Bulgaria and spain.NO RESALE MARKET = TROUBLE

thomsk, when I clicked on your weather link just there it shows sun most days. Anyway, I was there in February, weather a bit overcast and rainy some days. Their concept of rain is a lot different to ours- rain to them would be 10 minutes in the day! The week I was there I was happy enough with the weather, stops the kids getting sunburned etc.

Would I fly an extra hour? If Ryanair charged me €100 instead of €70 maybe, but pay €500+ via the UK - no chance.

The weather forecast on the link is being updated daily. The days I was on about were 23rd -30th March, which seemed very showery. Seems the next fews days are ok!
The main point I am making, however, is that a 2 week hol in Canaries would be more unpredictable weatherwise than further South - ie CV.
Horses for courses - some would say they'd be happy to go to Canaries and simply can't be bothered with another hour's flying and price of flight, as you say.....but then how many will choose the other option? Time will tell, I guess!
PS IMO Dublin-Cape Verde direct flights will continue again in the next couple of years, as building developments are finalised and demand is high enough.

How many people, with hindsight, would have chosen to stay on a plane that bit longer ( not much more than an hour ) for the better weather on offer?

PS To try and answer Stir Crazy's points, I think everyday goods are available in corner shops at prices similar to those in Spain. No supermarkets as far as I'm aware. Healthcare is pretty much lacking at the moment- yet improving all the time. There are numerous internet cafes and Sat tv is also available-but I would not like to bet on english programmes being widely broadcast . I would think that it will become more available though- as it did in Canaries. Do not know about prices. Finally, do not think libraries are too common!

thomsk: How can you say older people would prefer to retire there when you admit yourself that healthcare is lacking ?
Anyone who understands old people would realise they need and love their comfort. That includes a shorter flight. I just don't see them going somewhere where they cant' spend the money they have spent a lifetime saving up since there is apparently nothing to do while there. Also, having nothing to do on a tiny island would drive any intelligent person quite mad in my view. If someone is living in Spain for example at least they can drive off somewhere and see new places.
Thats not even taking into account strange african tropical diseases or a multitude of other problems which could happen. I wouldnt like to have to be flown away for 6 hours if I suffered a stroke or got bitten by a venomous spider for example.

thomsk: How can you say older people would prefer to retire there when you admit yourself that healthcare is lacking ?
Anyone who understands old people would realise they need and love their comfort. That includes a shorter flight. I just don't see them going somewhere where they cant' spend the money they have spent a lifetime saving up since there is apparently nothing to do while there. Also, having nothing to do on a tiny island would drive any intelligent person quite mad in my view. If someone is living in Spain for example at least they can drive off somewhere and see new places.
Thats not even taking into account strange african tropical diseases or a multitude of other problems which could happen. I wouldnt like to have to be flown away for 6 hours if I suffered a stroke or got bitten by a venomous spider for example.

I think thomsk should be awarded the die hard Cape Verde promoter of the year award :D He must have been brainwashed by some Voodoo man the last time he was in africa, because if he bought an investment property based on the weather somethings not right!

Ah, sure I think I'll start rabitting on about Iraq as a place to invest now. It's got great weather there...
[broken link removed]

And some of the locals are lovely...then again the voodoo hasn't worked that well. Ha:)

was in fuerteventura in feby and weather was cloudy for a few days. very warm and easy to get about. rained on one day but as above post says it wasn't like our rain (in fact it was 'dirty' rain as everything was covered in brown sand). would I spend the extra cash and flight time and transfers through uk to get guaranteed sun in feby? No. Lots probably would though.

What are prices like to Cape Verde early next year given the high oil prices, when you include the cost to transit through the Uk etc.?

Ryanair can get you a return from Shannon or Dublin to tenerife or Fuerta for around €150 next Jan. - they have been freely available at this price for the last few weeks as I have been looking.

Can somebody post up some flight CV prices for comparison?

Very valid point, Mr K.It is currently about 4 times that cost for flight to CV.
Having said that, demand for flights needs to strengthen - and when this happens more airlines will get involved, and prices should then fall.

Some years away until apartments/ hotels /villas built though ( the BIG complexes, anyway ). This is why demand is not extemely high at moment.
People have been out, explored, some bought for in the future ( and some planning another look in a year or so again) , and are now leaving it til building sorted ( I would imagine )

Thought this was interesting enough.....

It's the Chinese interest which has me keeping an eye on it, for now. Will not be too hurried to buy as it has a long way to go yet, but still watching. Nothing has swayed me away from thinking that it still has great potential ( so far anyway ). Indeed, I think I will fly out again early next year ( Rome wasn't built in a day, either ! )

Wow - I just checked the price of a return flight to Cape Verde on Yahoo travel for the 1st week of September. The cheapest return fare was £741/€927.79 (Dublin > London > Lisbon > Praia), with a shortest transit duration of 12 hours, 20 minutes.

You can fly to San Francisco in less time (about 10 hours), for cheaper (€743 with AL), without the hassle and stress of multiple airports.

Unless direct discount flights are introduced, I can't see Cape Verde becoming a destination for families or week long holidays.

Patricia,

At last, a note of realism. (Not what you will hear at 'Property Exhibitions').

Back