Can you or can you not rent out an affordable house?

Andy_and_lou

Does anybody know? I've tried ringing the council today and can't get onto anybody (nothing new) I've ask my Solicitor who said he really doesn't know the answer and will have to look into it. Why is it such a grey area? Nobody seems to know the answer....I've tried look up the internet etc. but can't find anything.

Can anybody shed any light on the situation?

But where exactly does it say that, it doesn't actually say anywhere you can't rent them out (not that I've seen) so can you just say that's you ppr and live somewhere else?

Surely, if you qualify for such a house, you would not have the means to have a second residence, where you can live while you rent out the affordable house ? Or am I missing something ?

In the affordable housing schemes that I have been involved there is both a clause in the transfer order and in the mortgage that the properties cannot be leased or alienated in any way without the prior written consent of the Council and must remain the 'ppr' of the transferee or their successor in title. The wording of the clauses would not seem to preclude renting out a room in the house as long as it remains your main residence.

I got the house when I was single, now I'm married, have a baby on the way, the house too small, I'm trying to sell it and finding it difficult due to the fact it is an affordable house and there are mix of social and affordable houses in the same estate. It's in a good convenient location but I'm running into trouble because of the social and affordable aspect. I don't think I would have any trouble renting it out, I actually know of people who would rent it from me but I don't want to break the law either. Really don't know what to do....

Contact the council, explain the circumstances and obtain their consent to renting it out. Your local councillor should be able to help.

I'm approved with Fingal.
When I went for my interview I was told that if I got a house that I could rent out a room once I was living in the house.
They said this does not apply to apartments.

I think the whole point of Aff housing is that they help you out at a reduced price for you to have a home. Not for you to get the affordable house, then move out and rent it out for probably a higher rate than what your mortgage is and then make money out of it.

Thats my understanding of it anyway. But from what I've heard from people of this site, they could have told someone else something different.

C.

But where exactly does it say that, it doesn't actually say anywhere you can't rent them out (not that I've seen) so can you just say that's you ppr and live somewhere else?

No, you can't. In such a case I believe you would have to pay the clawback figure to the council. You would have to register with the PTRB if you were renting it out.

I would be interested to know, however, if this would apply to people leaving the country for lets say a year, for work.

I too own an affordable house and my understanding of this particular issue is that on the whole renting out the house is not allowed under the terms of the scheme. This is also detailed in my legal contract. However, it states that this is not allowed unless you first consult the council and from what I hear they are not unreasonable when it comes to giving such permission. It sounds to me like you have a good case to put to the council and that most likely they would look favourably on it. Each Council has its own approach so you will not know for certain until you speak to the Council. (My house is in the Fingal area).

D

Thanks for the Info.

Bradfield I might just have to do that ie ring the council (if they ever answer the phone)and ask for there permission, hopefully they'll give it.

By all means ring the council, but make sure you get it in writing from them.

Are there not lists of people waiting for affordable housing ? You say that you're having trouble to sell it. Surely, if you work with the council you can pass it onto the next person on the affordable housing list, for the same/similar price to what you paid for it. You're not supposed to make money on this type of house anyway, as far as I know. These houses exist for a social reason, not to provide people with a second/rental property.

Surely, if you received a house under this scheme, the right thing to do is to sell it on to another person under the scheme?

I actually agree with you jrewing, but that's not how it works, I don't know why. The council initially were interested in buying it back but then they backed down, not sure why.

I don't think it's fair for you to rent out your home as there are already 1,000s on lists for affordable housing and the whole point is that you live in it. As far as i know that is in the contract you signed when you bought it. you will either have to sell it and pay your clawback or else stay put but you can't rent out the whole house as you're just acting like all the other property speculators who are driving the prices up for the rest of us.

I don't think it's fair for you to rent out your home as there are already 1,000s on lists for affordable housing and the whole point is that you live in it. As far as i know that is in the contract you signed when you bought it. you will either have to sell it and pay your clawback or else stay put but you can't rent out the whole house as you're just acting like all the other property speculators who are driving the prices up for the rest of us.
Arguing with or condemning the OP, who has - in response to rather personal questions - set out the reasons for wanting to rent the house out, having been unable to sell it, is not helpful. The OP has also been quite clear that they want to do everything in an above-board fashion.

Andy_and_Lou, while much of the advice on setting out the precise situation to your local authority and seeking their express written permission to rent out seems sound, I think you might have difficulty from the mortgage perspective as well, so do check that out with your lender. You'll also need to check not just Revenue's, but the Council's position on clawback on any ultimate sale.

I actually agree with you jrewing, but that's not how it works, I don't know why. The council initially were interested in buying it back but then they backed down, not sure why.

That seems to be a complete contradiction to the government's recent announcement to put billions into providing social and affordable housing in the next development plan. Your local politician(s) might be of assistance to you.

They should provide a facility to buy back property that the original purchaser has outgrown as in your situation where a one bed apartment is unsuitable for a family. This will be a very common problem in five years I'd guess.

personal circumstances aside, it is not right that an affordable housing purchaser can rent out their house and move on to a new place having used the discount from the local authority to move up the property ladder!

personal circumstances aside, it is not right that an affordable housing purchaser can rent out their house and move on to a new place having used the discount from the local authority to move up the property ladder!
I do have sympathy with your point, but target your ire at the Government and local authorities, not at the hapless OP who's trying to do everything honestly and above-board [unlike, generalised venom here :(, so much of the property industry].

Back