Bullying of small cars.

How can more than one person introduce a topic? I was what, 4th???
That's good to know. I did not have the time to go back counting.
I think you need to let this go. I was not having a go at you, or your post, just questioning why cyclists had to be brought into this.
IMO, even one mention is too much.

Because lack of enforcement is not solely an issue for small cars being bullied by large cars on the M50. It's systematic.

That's good to know. I did not have the time to go back counting.
I think you need to let this go. I was not having a go at you, or your post, just questioning why cyclists had to be brought into this.
IMO, even one mention is too much.
Fair enough, I was just curious. We're on page 8 here, long threads always have a habit of meandering off course in many different directions. The first mention of cyclists here was actually a joke about how no one else had mentioned them so far given so many different examples had been discussed.

I dunno.

There’s no minimum speed on the M50 and the OP is driving in the left lane at off-peak times. It should be reasonably easy to pass using the other two lanes without recourse to intimidation.

As he’s said, it doesn’t happen when driving the van so that should tell you something.

I’d agree with the “law of the jungle” analogy. For Hyundai i10, perhaps think stray wildebeest.

The M50 is at most times a glorified bypass. At peak times, it’s a car park where notions of speeds of 70kmh are just fanciful.
From my understanding you are not supposed to drive on a motorway with a vehicle incapable of maintaining a continuous speed of 50km per hour, so wouldn't regard 70-80kmph as being "too slow." Secondly, good luck if you can even reach 70kmph a lot of the time on the M50.
"Failure to make progress" is more about dithering at decision points than the actual speed achieved driving, though obviously going considerably under a legal limit will irritate other drivers.

From my understanding you are not supposed to drive on a motorway with a vehicle incapable of maintaining a continuous speed of 50km per hour, so wouldn't regard 70-80kmph as being "too slow." Secondly, good luck if you can even reach 70kmph a lot of the time on the M50.
"Failure to make progress" is more about dithering at decision points than the actual speed achieved driving, though obviously going considerably under a legal limit will irritate other drivers.
I drive on the M50 twice a day. In the morning the traffic moves at 100Kmph. In the evening there can be times when it moves more slowly.

The issue is if the flow of traffic is moving at 100kmph and you are going at 70kmph. That is causing other motorists to break and to change lanes. Therefore it is dangerous as the actions of the slow moving motorists are increasing the risk of a crash.

There is no minimum speed limit on the M50.

A good driver can travel safely in the lefthand lane at 70kmph while the traffic in the other two lanes travel at 100kmph.

Any good driver will be able to judge the speed of the car in their lane in front of them and indicate well in advance of catching up on it and then safely change lanes without reducing speed.

What you are describing is a bad driver who speeds up behind the car in front. Then brakes and tailgates. It is then the action of this tailgating bad driver who creates the danger changing lanes, not the driver driving at 70 kmph.

Drivers, including yourself should take an advanced driver course.

I don't doubt that you see plenty of these dangerous drivers on your M50 commute every day. The standard of driving on the M50 is appalling.

Last edited:
There is no minimum speed limit on the M50.
Yes there is : 50 km per hour

"You must not enter a motorway if: you are a learner driver or do not hold a full licence for the category of vehicle you are driving. your vehicle cannot travel or maintain a speed of at least 50km per hour."

Yes there is : 50 km per hour

"You must not enter a motorway if: you are a learner driver or do not hold a full licence for the category of vehicle you are driving. your vehicle cannot travel or maintain a speed of at least 50km per hour."
No, being capable of driving at 50 kmph and actually doing that are quite different things. Traffic often moves slower than 50 kmph on the M50. There is no minimum speed set out in the Road Traffic Acts.

What you are describing is a bad driver who speeds up behind the car in front.
No, I'd describing a bad driver who enters the motorway and chooses to drive more slowly that the vehicles already on the motorway, causing the flow of traffic in their lane to slow down thereby increasing the number of other motorists who change lanes and therefore increasing the chances of a crash.

You would benefit from reading a book on advanced driving or taking a course because it's clear that you are clueless about motorway driving

I drive a lot. The amount of tailgating I’m seeing on motorways is frightening. I was on the M50 last week and several times saw cars weaving into the middle lane with only feet to spare as they overtook cars in the fast lane on the inside. People are gazing at their phones on their laps at speed. There doesn’t seem to be any policing of dangerous driving.

Whens the last time anyone saw dangerous driving on the M50 get pulled over.
After 8 pages of discussion @AlbacoreA hit the nail on the head. I don't know one motorist who thinks he/she is a danger to others on the road. The cold, flat truth is that there are many many dangerous road-users and they think they are good and safe drivers. Now I'm more worried than ever.

All it takes is a little kindness, respect and some good conduct, stop speeding, never look at at your mobile while driving, use indicators, don't stop in yellow boxes or park on double yellow lines and we'll have a lot less deaths and injuries on our roads. The alternatives are fairly gruesome.

All it takes is a little kindness, respect and some good conduct, stop speeding, never look at at your mobile while driving, use indicators, don't stop in yellow boxes or park on double yellow lines and we'll have a lot less deaths and injuries on our roads. The alternatives are fairly gruesome.

100%
And don't splash pedestrians and cyclists on rainy days!

I’m surprised there isn’t more done to promote safe driving.

Does anyone recall the videos that used to be shown on RTE decades ago? I remember there was one on how to parallel park featuring Hal Roche (god, I’m getting old)

Some similar initiative might be justified now.

Last edited:
Back