Bullying of small cars.

Or the cars in that lane are speeding or tail-gating?
It doesn't matter. The car joining the lane must do so in a way that doesn't cause the traffic in the land they are joining to break.
I find it remarkable that vehicles attempting to join a motorway, from a limited joining 'window' have no 'right' to do so as such and vehicles already on the motorway have no responsibilities at all in terms of accommodating them, other than general guidance about driving with consideration to other vehicles.
I know, but that's the way it is.
If the cars in the lane to the right are driving dangerously then cutting in in front of them isn't a good idea.

Yes, that's the same thing; the cars entering the lane are driving slower than the flow of traffic and so cause the breaking. It is the responsibility of the traffic entering the lane to ensure that they do so safely. If they are causing the traffic in that lane to break then they are not doing so safely.
This is not generally correct. On a busy motorway a vehicle merging from a slip road has to mesh into the flow of traffic. This is achieved either by accelerating to get into a traffic gap or relying on a considerate driver to slightly reduce speed to create a gap for them. When the entering vehicle occupies this gap they are entering the motorway safely.

This is not generally correct. On a busy motorway a vehicle merging from a slip road has to mesh into the flow of traffic. This is achieved either by accelerating to get into a traffic gap or relying on a considerate driver to slightly reduce speed to create a gap for them. When the entering vehicle occupies this gap they are entering the motorway safely.
How does that disagree with anything I said?

I dunno where your getting that from. But if indeed that was an official statement. It's a daft as brush mindset.
It was well covered in the media at the time, the likes of iCycle were up in arms over it. iCycle also ran a series attacking the RSA who ran a TV campaign around that time showing a taxi stopping in a mandatory cycle lane. In response, the RSA said it was perfectly acceptable for cars to park in mandatory cycle lanes so long as they did not remain there for excessive periods. They claimed to have legal advice supporting that view, but eventually capitulated and acknowledged what they were advising was indeed illegal.

Is it possible to have a thread about driving and poor driving etiquette (EG. Bullying of small cars) without bring cyclists into it. Even more so where a lot posts on this thread are about motorway driving and etiquette, where cyclists are nowhere to be seen.
Might be better quote the post that introduced cycling.

Obviously, but Leo wasn't making any allowance for such common sense in his understanding of the law. It goes without saying that you cannot move into a lane until it is safe to do so.
Again, I'm just quoting what is stated in the law. I already said that I often more right myself when there is nothing coming behind me to facilitate others joining. But on the topic of the legislation itself, it really is quite clear:

Save where otherwise required by these Regulations, a vehicle shall be driven on the left hand side of the roadway

Nowhere in the legislation do I see a requirement to move right to facilitate others joining a road.

I find it remarkable that vehicles attempting to join a motorway, from a limited joining 'window' have no 'right' to do so as such and vehicles already on the motorway have no responsibilities at all in terms of accommodating them, other than general guidance about driving with consideration to other vehicles.
Perhaps it's just an outcome of legislation that assumes everyone will obey it. If everyone was driving at an appropriate speed for the conditions and traffic volume, and leaving sufficient space to traffic in front of them, there would be no issue joining a motorway.

Unfortunately like most countries there is very little enforcement of traffic legislation and the amount of people looking to skip queues at junctions results in more and more people driving more aggressively, defending their little patch of road and driving so close to the vehicle in front to try prevent others cutting in in front of them.

Tailgating to prevent cars jumping in is a regular occurance. While not right, I can see why motorists do it. The impatient or aggressive types jumping in can cause a ripple of braking of cars behind, and possibly some collisions where vehicles are too close or motorists distracted.

The issue also applies to exiting, where, in heavy traffic, some motorists leave it to the very last minute to exit, having had loads of opportunities to enter the off lane earlier. Some even enter and then leave it again to get a few vehicles further ahead.

I regularally see this at the Liffey Valley Exit (northbound, before West Link) where I have often had to brake because someone cuts ahead of me just before the exit. Its rare these vehicles indicate their intention to exit either.

I drive two different vehicles, a Hyundai i10 and a VW Transporter Van.
I often drive on the M50 at off peak times when the traffic is light.
I typically drive in the left hand lane at 70 to 80 km per hour.
Very often while driving my Hyundai I would have motorists following behind me within a couple of meters from my rear bumper. More often than not these are lorry or van drivers. They look large and threatening behind before overtaking me.
This rarely occurs when I drive the Transporter.
This pattern of behaviour also occurs on suburban roads when I keep to the 50 km speed limit.
Have any other small car drivers noticed this bullying behaviour.
I drive an i30 always just below the speed limit and I get exactly the same thing. Very few keep to the limit. Also, drivers suddenly weave in and out of lanes without signalling. It’s not just on the M50 but on every road in Ireland. I’m often on the N2 Monaghan to Emyvale road, which is 80 kmh all the way and usually end up with a long line of impatient and angry drivers behind me. Lots of angry tailgating going on. Same on the Monaghan dual carriageway. I despair at the behaviour of Irish drivers. It takes all the pleasure out of driving.

Ah, the M50 experience! The mad hoors also do it when joining the M50, "Gotta get to the outside lane fast and break the speed-limit! Laws and limits are only for culchies and tourists!"

Ah, the M50 experience! The mad hoors also do it when joining the M50, "Gotta get to the outside lane fast and break the speed-limit! Laws and limits are only for culchies and tourists!"
They refer to the outside lane as ‘the fast lane’, even though it’s ‘the overtaking lane’. You’re supposed to overtake and then get back in the left lane. I call it the macho lane. When the motorway’s busy it’s hilarious to see all the macho drivers crowding into the outside lane (because they think it’s macho) and I can sail along freely in the left lane.

It was well covered in the media at the time, the likes of iCycle were up in arms over it. iCycle also ran a series attacking the RSA who ran a TV campaign around that time showing a taxi stopping in a mandatory cycle lane. In response, the RSA said it was perfectly acceptable for cars to park in mandatory cycle lanes so long as they did not remain there for excessive periods. They claimed to have legal advice supporting that view, but eventually capitulated and acknowledged what they were advising was indeed illegal.

Illegal parking is different issue.

They refer to the outside lane as ‘the fast lane’, even though it’s ‘the overtaking lane’. You’re supposed to overtake and then get back in the left lane. I call it the macho lane. When the motorway’s busy it’s hilarious to see all the macho drivers crowding into the outside lane (because they think it’s macho) and I can sail along freely in the left lane.

The overtaking lane on the M50 isn't solely for that purpose.

Illegal parking is different issue.
Not in that context, where the Gardai stated they were not in a position to penalise cyclists for failing to use mandatory cycle lanes which were often obstructed by illegally parked vehicles they were choosing not to penalise.

Not in that context, where the Gardai stated they were not in a position to penalise cyclists for failing to use mandatory cycle lanes which were often obstructed by illegally parked vehicles they were choosing not to penalise.

I wonder what their excuse for the lack of enforcement on the M50.

car tailgating me, cut across 3 lanes to exit last minute within 6ft of a Garda car. Ignored it completely.

Back