Bulgaria

simplyjoe

Why is everyone buying in Bulgaria. Whats the attraction? Good yields? high occupation levels? good legal system? progressive country? good economy? or is it just cheap! Please tell me!

Re: Why Bulgaria?

I think most people buy in Bulgaria buy because they compare property prices in Ireland and think that prices have to go up now that it's part of the EU. Property appears cheap to the Irish but extremely expensive to the locals (average wage is only a couple of hundred euro a month)

IMO - Becuase they're naive and just see it as cheap compared to home.

I would never buy there. No one has ever sold a unit, i.e. there is no resale market, everyone just buys new units!

The seasons are too short, the infrastructure poor and no real economy except for the tourist one.

I would rather stick to investing in real economies, i.e. city centre apartments where there is a locals market, i.e. Poland or Czech Rep.

Why is everyone buying in Bulgaria. Whats the attraction? Good yields? high occupation levels? good legal system? progressive country? good economy? or is it just cheap! Please tell me!

Its cheap and EU membership was thought to bring profits. Bulgaria has been one of the biggest media frenzies i have ever seen. Talk to any stranger or freind or family member about property and they will more than likely say "Bulgaria is the place to buy isnt it" this is simply because they have seen a property programme on TV, and people like to think they know a thing or two. and if its on TV it must be true right?

If there was a survey of who has brought there in the past 2 years i would suggest a massive percetage of them would be first time overseas buyers, a little naive to the sales pitches given by agents selling it. No disrespect to anyone who has purchase there intended, but Bulgaria has become a "bang wagon" investment, totally hyped by the media as the next big thing.

Ok, well maybe I can give a proper answer - because it is a beautiful country with some stunning scenery, the people are mostly fantastic and friendly, summer weather can run from April through to October and property is still very reasonably priced (inland).

Rachel

And rachel you of course would have no commercial interest in propagating this view now would you!!!!!!!

It is known on this forum that I sell and deal with property here in Bulgaria but simplyjoe asked a question and I answered it. Everyone here not involved in Bulgaria is very easy to put down a country and property investment that they do not know.

Since you all seem to know so much about Bulgaria could you give me the benifit of your knowledge. What about Sunset Resort Pomoire 5* beautiful accomodation, will it be a success, whos renting it, I havent seen it in any holiday brochures just on the internet?

Waiting for you Auto - you must be on holidays maybe in Bulgaria - as no discussion arises on Bulgaria without you chipping in.

It is known on this forum that I sell and deal with property here in Bulgaria but simplyjoe asked a question and I answered it. Everyone here not involved in Bulgaria is very easy to put down a country and property investment that they do not know.

I thought the anwser i gave was proper?

Ok, well maybe I can give a proper answer - because it is a beautiful country with some stunning scenery, the people are mostly fantastic and friendly, summer weather can run from April through to October and property is still very reasonably priced (inland).

Rachel

travelbug, i've got around 80,000k in cash ready for a new property investment, something i am want a return on investment within 2 to 3 years of 25% plus, it is pure investment i dont want to have use of the property, i would buy off plan or completed... where would you recomend i invest?

travelbug, i've got around 80,000k in cash ready for a new property investment, something i am want a return on investment within 2 to 3 years of 25% plus, it is pure investment i dont want to have use of the property, i would buy off plan or completed... where would you recomend i invest?
I think that if you are buying in Bulgaria then the best place to buy is Sofia, and stick to the better parts of the city.
I think that the resorts are a serious risk but capital cities always have the best chance of holding up in a falling market.

I think that if you are buying in Bulgaria then the best place to buy is Sofia, and stick to the better parts of the city.
I think that the resorts are a serious risk but capital cities always have the best chance of holding up in a falling market.

Thats a pretty lame attempt at selling Bulgaria but at least a truthful one.

Sofia is probably the only ok place in the whole of Bulgaria to invest. But as an alternative in Eastern Europe there are so many better places that are lower risk and have a REAL booming economy and a LOCALS market.

i.e. Prague, Warsaw, etc.

The black sea coast and the sking resort have a too short season, lack of infrastructure and no locals resale market whatsoever.

Who will buy the units of off UK/Irish buyers in 10years time??? Certainly not the locals at the prices being quoted and not the Brits/Irish/Germans as they all want to buy new units!

I would suggest that many of you who are posting have never been here or at best were oiut there as part of an inspection trip with a bunch of sales guys. If you have lived or worked here or in the region i think you can source value and take profit. Simple.

Yes sunset resort is a great location, dont expect downtown marbella in pomorie but if you are well traveled you might appreciate what is possible. By the way no involvement here or coulnt care less if others are put off....their loss!

!
Well it would have to be a lame attempt at selling Bulgaria seeing as I am not selling Bulgaria and have no reason to.
I am at this point of time very close to buying in Sofia but have not made the final decision yet (within the next week I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringledman http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=387174#post387174
!

Well it would have to be a lame attempt at selling Bulgaria seeing as I am not selling Bulgaria and have no reason to.
I am at this point of time very close to buying in Sofia but have not made the final decision yet (within the next week I think).

Apologies I think my eyesight is going looking at this screen all day, though your post was from the person with the vested interest in Bulgaria for some reason!

No if you are to buy in Bulgaria then Sofia is probably the best place IMO. Not one for me but I do agree that if you are to buy in Eastern Europe you do so in a City over a hyped resort.

Why Bulgaria ? The answer is very simple: come to the country and live in for a while, or alternatively visit several times for shorter periods within a year or so, and then you will know it. Sorry if this is disappointing to you but if you just listen to others you might get the wrong idea. Surely so as on these forums there are clearly people who are pounding non-stop at this destination, and trying to promote – sometimes thinly veiled, sometimes straight away – whatever it is that they are selling. If you spend time in researching through this forum on several similar topics you’ll be able to identify them, and very easily.

I have written earlier a few times on different issues raised about Bulgaria (you can check it retrospectively here). Being a Bulgarian, and a proud one at that, and having a vested interest without attempting to hide it, I have pointed facts that should have helped the truly interested in getting the answer of your question. And you know what ? That mainly served for generating vigorous activities on the part of those people referred to above.

An example: After reporting facts about the length of the summer tourist season, those “well-wishers” keep insisting that the season is two months (please check also the topic about the resort in Pomorie, here on this forum). Now, if anyone has doubts about my testimony it is easy to check on the Net the winter versus the summer schedule of the Burgas and Varna airports (we will assume here, for the sake of the argument, that all these tens of carriers are not in the charity business, at least not from May to October of each year).

[FONT=&quot]I’d suggest you try with that check up, so you can comprehend the level of knowledge slash sincerity of those you ask advice from. If you do not find it yourself, I can send you the info; I am easy to find through our website dukaty.com and respective e-mail addresses there. In any case, the answer to your question requires some effort on your part, don’t just rely on what you will be told, by anyone, myself included.[/FONT]

I have no vestive interest in selling anywhere else. I have done my figures on various places and believe Bulgaria is a risky investment. The figures just don’t add up. I have been there twice and the summer season IS only 2 months. I was there in September and the coast was a ghost town. Only rental market is July/August. This is a fact. It is also over supplied in large parts. I also seem to remember to previous poster talking up Bulgaria as a retirement country like Spain. I was there during winter and It was Snowing and freezing. Sofia is a city in a corrupt country – less risky than the resorts but still lags way behind other cities in Eastern Europe for investment criteria.
The country is extremely corrupt (Regardless of the shapes some try to put on it – let them throw their own money into that mix..) - I was there a total of 3 weeks over 2 visits and lets just say that was the solid impression left upon me while there.
If you are borrowing to invest someplace, Bulgaria would not be a wise choice as the figures and conditions don’t stack up. I don’t have any emotional or vestive attachment to any place, but I feel the need to respond to some of the nonsense you read here. The people investing there are those who are sold by the hype and the low prices (by Irish standards). I worry for these people as most can ill afford to get caught out.
If you are thinking of investing there, just to prove my point don’t take my and anyone else’s advice from this forum -
PAY FOR SOME INDEPENDENT ADVICE, WHICH WILL ADVISE YOU ON INVESTING, BE IT IN BULGARIA OR ELSEWHERE. It will be the best investment you make and may save you from investing in a noose around your neck. Just examine properly the second hand market in Bulgaria (non existent). BUYER BEWARE or BEMAD!

Waiting for you Auto - you must be on holidays maybe in Bulgaria - as no discussion arises on Bulgaria without you chipping in.

Just waiting to see if there was still life in the "guaranteed rental" promotors! (Also getting to grips with my new laptop -- the old one expired!).

I am known as a Bulgaria "knocker" on this board, but if anyone reads my posts carefully they will see that I have less of an issue with the country and more with the agencies who misrepresent what they are selling. The extreme examples of this are the grossly inflated prices with reference to local market mores, and the infamous scam of so-called "rental guarantees" where buyers get their own money back minus handling charges and taxes!

The bubble has yet to burst in Bulgaria. The cracks will not begin to show until some time after the "rental guarantee" period had expired; apartment owners on the Black Sea and in the ski areas will fumble around for another year or so after that, going from agency to agency in the hunt for tenants, and then the penny will drop -- they have been well and truly scammed. Some will then console themselves that they at least have a holiday home, and will use it two or three times a year while fixed costs rise to a point where they could stay in a nice hotel for less money. Others will start to sell in the expectation of profits, but the buyers will be nowhere to be seen at the price point that they are expecting -- locals will never pay this kind of price for these properties.

Best case scenario in my view is that buyers will get out with a loss of around 30%, assuming that the market rises and the economy improves in Bulgaria. Worst case? Probablly lose well in excess of 50% of the overall investment. All this assumes that buyers can actually be found for the massive oversupply of holiday homes in these areas. It is certain that properties will be for sale for long periods before finding buyers.

One poster takes issue with my claim of a 2 month rental season. The reality is that the peak season is the first three weeks in August, but the main season runs from early June to the end of August. There is currently a spike of rentals and visitors outside of this time, related for a large part to "investors" travelling to the area to hand over their cash to these unscrupulous agencies and developers. The real numbers going there outside the peak season will not be able to sustain even a tiny percentage of the excess rental capacity in the market.

The Bulgarian market, as understood by most people, is a disaster and a magnet for the unwary. Gullible amateurs flock to the place, driven by marketing hype and promises of free money, and there is a certainty that they will lose money in the medium term. There are opportunities for those who want to lose less -- go to the inland villages and buy properties that are being deserted by locals; you will spend less and therefore have a better chance of losing less. However you only have to look at parts of Rural France or Portugal to understand that if something is cheap because nobody wants it, then nobody is likely to want it when you come to sell.

This thread is about overseas property investment, not overseas property buying -- two entirely different things. The distinction however is lost on many Irish buyers who just can't wait to leverage the equity in their homes and make loads of money. They certainly won't make it in Bulgaria. The best that can be hoped for is that they don't lose their homes in Ireland by over-extending themselves in this crazy market.

Back