Bord Gais Electricity - 10% discount over, switched back to 5%

Just saw this on Boards.ie

Are Bord Gais taking the mickey
Mods maybe this should be in the Alternative energy supplier thread feel free to move.
Firstly I have my leccy from BGE and no major hassle getting my discount.
A few weeks ago they announced that instead of getting 5% in year 2 and 5% in year 3 they were now going to give 10% in year 2 saying something like ESB will be allowed to compete so we are bringing forward the discount sounds good. There was a lot of discussion here and on other fora that if you changed to wife/partner you would be a new customer and get the max discount all over again.
Anyway I went in to look at the discounts again and saw this

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB Customer Supply regulated domestic tariff unit rate. The discount is applicable for the shorter of either: (a) 12 months from switching or (b) until such time as ESB domestic tariffs cease to be regulated. After this period the then applicable Bord Gáis Energy standard tariff will apply. Terms and conditions apply.

Being a bit dense I rang and asked if I am set up as a new customer (or my other half is) do I get 10% up til June 2011 oh yes absolutely but what if ESB come back into the market in March it was all over the papers last week that they would. Well in that case no it wont be 10% and what about year 2 10%??? well again if ESB are back in the market we wouldnt see the rate being 10%.
Now it is stated Policy by the Regulator guy that once ESB loss so many cusotmers that they can do what they want. the target for this is March2011 is this false advertising as NO ONE will get 10% beyond March unless of course BGE stop taking customers and keep ESB at a level above what the Regulator wants. I suppose you could say well read the T&Cs but I will bet very few people saw this and I didnt see Lucy shouting this on the ad while ago. What do you guys think

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/help-an...icity/billing/

Can't quite follow some of that ... bit slow tonight. I switched a year ago and my most recent bill (29th April) has the following note "Your tariff has changed to 5% discount off ESB PES unit rates." Does that sound right?!

Anyhow, I've decided to switch to Airtricity and get a total of 15% discount with this Axa promotion.

Was about to follow you to Airtricity then saw this on their Website. Still a good offer but if you think your getting 12 months I reckon all will change by March 2010
Prices inclusive of VAT. Discounts apply to ESB regulated rates until 31/03/11, thereafter Airtricity SmartSaver Standard Rates apply. Offer only available to new customers switching between 01/04/10 and 30/06/10. Percent (%) discount and equivalent free weeks based on comparison to ESB regulated unit rates.

Am I correcting in summarizing that as Bord Gais will probably drop the discount if ESB prices become unregulated. Which is very likely.

That would explain all the sales calls we're getting from Bord Gais. They are trying to sign up as many people before this happens.

That would explain all the sales calls we're getting from Bord Gais. They are trying to sign up as many people before this happens
Offer only available to new customers switching between 01/04/10 and 30/06/10. Percent (%) discount and equivalent free weeks based on comparison to ESB regulated unit

I wonder will BGE and Airtricity effectively stop taking customers at a certain point, looking at the Airticity thing above they are saying after the end of this month their offer finishes.
So one scenario is that the other two suppliers keep ESB regulated but turning away customers or else "losing" i.e disconnecting those in arrears. This means the ESB cant drop its prices so the other two are able to suck up all the ABC1
The other scenario is that ESB is deregulated and we end up with 3 companies all offering roughly similar packages. If you remember the 90s we had loads of banks but there was no actual competition.

Just got a letter from BGE this morning (after the horse has bolted - I've already moved to Airtricity).

BGE are applying the 5% year 3 discount to year 2 instead, in addition to the 5% year 2 discount. ie a total of 10% in year 2 and 0% in year 3.

The market is constantly changing, and while BGE are saying this now I don't expect them to apply 0% in year 3.

Until the ESB is deregulated there will be no real competition. BGE and Airtricity are really faux competitors in the market. They both offer virtually the same prices as each other.

Can't quite follow some of that ... bit slow tonight. I switched a year ago and my most recent bill (29th April) has the following note "Your tariff has changed to 5% discount off ESB PES unit rates." Does that sound right?!

Anyhow, I've decided to switch to Airtricity and get a total of 15% discount with this Axa promotion.

What about ethical value.
Do you know that BGE is Irish though Airtricity is Scottish company.
BGE is providing irish jobs and still is giving almost same discount as airtricity. In 2nd year airtricity will go down as well and when ESB will enter market same strategy will be applied by Airtricity as BGE.
BGE profits even circulates from Charities to irish Sporting federations.
So if you are getting same discount why not choose BGE.
Remeber BGE is irish and better and more competitive

Who cares so long as it is cheaper than ESB.

When it comes to saving money, ethics don't come into it. If Russian Nuclear Power started selling here at 20% off ESB rates I would jump like a shot. I really wouldn't care how they source their energy.

Well anybody that has left the ESB will be offered " A welcome Home" Discount to the ESB. This discount will not apply to existing customers for 1 full billing period. The discount will be marketed as a direct debit saving.

BG 2nd year discount is now back to 10% if you still see 5% on your bill contact them and they will amend.

BG 2nd year discount is now back to 10% if you still see 5% on your bill contact them and they will amend.
Thanks for the update, but it is really unacceptable if they are waiting for each customer to ask for the 10% - it should be automatic.

We stayed with the ESB up to now , but it is time to consider a move .

In a nutshell, which is better value :

1. ESB
2. Bord Gais
3. Airtricity

?

You have been paying over the odds for your electricity for the last year.

Airtricity only offer a direct debit bi-monthly ( every 2 months )

The majority of people in Ireland are paid either weekly - fortnightly - monthly

How do they expect a electricity bill every 2 months to work for households especially those on a strict budget plan .

Maybe because bi-monthly billing is how the ESB have billed for years so Airtricity (and BG) are just following suit?

Back