Bord Gais Electricity - 10% discount over, switched back to 5%

Complainer

Just noticed on my electronic Bord Gais electricity bill that I've been switched to 5% discount from ESB prices. I emailed them for an explanation, and they tell me the 10% rate only applied for 12 months, and now I go back down to 5%. I don't recall the 10% rate only applying for 12 months, but I guess they covered this in the small print.

I guess I should jump to Airtricity now to keep the costs down - right?

They covered it in the big print - it was very clear. But I believe they are planning to increase the discount for the second year so you might want to keep an eye on the website.

Mine dropped back to 5% a couple of weeks ago too. Signed up the next day with Airtricity, who are currently only guaranteeing the bigger discounts till March 2011.

Conversely, people who signed up to Airtricity originally and are now moving to Bord Gais will get a year out of Bord Gais.

It remains to be seen if they "remember"... but I expect the landscape to change over the next 12 months anyway... other suppliers including ESB might come into the market

Hi, just to update you on Airtricity. Our 12 months with them expired on 31 March so was keeping an eye on what eye we would get after that period. It has only increased as follows. We have a night meter too so the rates are: Night €0.07 (used to be €0.0656) and Day €0.1416 (used to be €0.1325). Looks like not a huge amount but could anyone work out the percentages for me - not awake yet on a Saturday morning!) When I rang them about not informing me they said they put it in the national newspaper - doesn't really suit me as I read the papers on-line and unlikely to see ads.

Post the ESB rate for comparison.

Using the figures you supplied they have increased the cost to you by 6.7%.

Announced by Bord Gais:

Earlier this month the Commission for Energy Regulation announced its intention to ease regulating ESB prices much earlier than previously expected. Because of these changes, we are combining the year 2 and year 3 discounts and you will now receive a 10% discount on electricity unit prices for year two.

They also advised if you have been billed at the 5% discount a credit will be applied to your account for that period.​

I got a letter from them yesterday so you should received one in the post in the next few days complainer.

In the Indo (I think) the other day an article read that the original bord gais offer was for 10%-15% cheaper than ESB bills in year 1 if you are a natural gas customer, switching both utilities to bord gais on DDebit. And in years 2 & 3 the discount would be 5% on ESB rates. Now to me, living rurally, I have bottled gas & was with ESB, so I "Made the Big Switch" on DDebit to avail of cheaper electricity prices & am on a rate 13% cheaper than ESB...bear with me...
Now, the article aslo stated that airtricity were now coming in with a 10% cheaper than ESB rates which would leave customers who are now on year 2 with Bord gais (i.e. 5% discount) free to make another switch. But Bord gais then announced that they too would be offering existing customers 10% off ESB rates to stay! The sneaky thing is that what they intend on doing is, dropping the 5% discount for year 3 and rolling it all together for year 2, also backdating any existing customers with the new 10% discount from the end of their first year with Bord Gais. They are argueing that 10% this year is more benificial to customers in these tough times and that no actual agreement exists that would tie them to the original offer to "Make the Big Switch" for a 3 years discounted electricity of 10%-15%yr1 - 5%yr2 - 5%yr3

Jury is still out on that one! But I guess to Joe Soap it makes no odds really to stay with Bord gais? Maybe by year 3 another player can tempt us...

Jury is still out on that one! But I guess to Joe Soap it makes no odds really to stay with Bord gais? Maybe by year 3 another player can tempt us...

But this is where you have to be careful.

[broken link removed]

The company says it has been forced to alter its three-year price commitment because the domestic energy market is to be deregulated next year, after which the ESB will be in a position to compete on price with both it and Airtricity.

The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) sets prices for ESB but its competitors are allowed to undercut these charges. The CER has said it will deregulate the domestic electricity market when the ESB’s market share falls to 60 per cent which is expected to happen by early next year.

So, when year 3 hits BG will not be tied down as much by the CER so they will be able to be more competitive on price - Its a case of 'watch this space'. IMO people are swithing back and forth but not knowing what way the market is heading.

So switching may cost you more in year 3. It will be interesting to see what offers will be out in there next year.

There is a serious noices that the ESB are to announce a discount, only for those that left to go elsewhere. Simalar to Eircom campaign. If this is true, and also NIES and Scottish Power have applied to sell discounted Electricity, maybe we will really have a de-regulated Market. Endesa a Spanish Power generator have all ready entered the Power generation market, with their new plant in Tarburt scheduled to come on line fron 2013, and be complete by 2016. The construction jobs will be welcome to

No, switching to Airtricity will give 13% discount. In year 2 Bord Gais are only doing 10% (up from 5%), so the 2 mins it takes to switch provider wasn't a waste of time.

Only if you are duel fuel & paying by Direct Debit. Many poeple only have Electricty so cannot avail of the 13% discount.

Back