Big bag of coins

Some great ideas, the counting machines at 10% or so is a bit much as there is at least €500.

Looks like a counting money party tomorrow night, a few drinks and pizza with friends should get through the pile.

That sounds like fun :) Can I come??

Local shops would proberly like to take it. Our local shopkeeper (small rural village) loves to see us coming with our bags of coins as it means she dosn't have to get change from the bank and get charged for it.

National Irish Bank do not charge for lodging bagged coins to personal account, I collect coins in a bottle which when full holds up to €1,500. I did have a problemon one occasion with the attitude of a clerk in a branch who wouldn't check them while I was there and insisted that he would attend to them later. I expressed my annoyance through their web site and had an apologetic call from the manager within an hour. I think the offending clerk was told off.

In this current climate I think all institutions should be trying to take in as much cash as they can right now, no matter what form.

Bonaparte,

do you realise that the CB has warned peole against hoarding coins.

It seems the Irish have a habit of doing this, collecting in jars, etc.

See the press release below.

On Tuesday, I put 2*€2 coins into a parking ticket machine, then 2*€2 coins across the counter in PJs pub, Lower Salthill, Galway for a pint, then another 2*€2 coins for another creamy pint.

£30 Million Worth Of Coins Hoarded In Irish Households

According to the results of a survey published by the Central Bank of Ireland today (Monday, 4 December), it is estimated that there is almost £30 million worth of coins hoarded by Irish households. The survey reveals for the first time the extent of coin hoarding by the Irish public and the Central Bank plans to draw on its findings to encourage people to use coins and small change when shopping this Christmas.

Among the results of the survey, conducted on behalf of the Central Bank by MRBI:
  • It is estimated that there is about 550 million coins hoarded in households throughout the country with a value of £27.9 million
  • The average coin hoard for all households is approximately £24 (respondents estimated they hoarded on average only £15)
  • 50% of all households in the country indicate that they hoard loose change
  • Most respondents hoard 1p and 2p coins, although 1 in 10 say they hoard £1 coins
  • 72% of households who hoard coin keep it in one place - the most popular method of storing hoarded coin is in glass bottles (29%) followed by jam jars (21%), piggy banks (13%) and plastic bottles (12%).
The Central Bank has issued more than 250 million additional coins in the past year, representing an annual increase of 16.5%. Despite this, the survey confirms that a large proportion of this quickly moves out of active circulation.
A spokesman for the Central Bank said: “This is the busiest shopping period of the year when the largest amount of cash is needed in the economy. We would strongly encourage people to use their small change when spending in shops this Christmas or to think of giving it to charities. It will make life easier for everyone – the consumer will not be left carrying around large amounts of loose change and shops and banks will not run short of small coins.”
With just under a year to go before the introduction of the euro, the spokesman added that now is a good time for people to consider putting their own hoarded coin back into circulation. “Almost £30 million is being hoarded in homes all over the country. Over the coming weeks we would encourage people to check how much they have in loose change in glass bottles and other containers at home. The survey shows that people estimate they have much less hoarded coin than is, in fact, the case. There is, on average, £24 worth of hoarded coin in every household in the country. It is well worth taking the time to count and bag this money and take it to your local bank. The Christmas holiday period is an ideal time for people to do this.”
Retailers and banks are supporting the Central Bank’s campaign to encourage the greater use of small change when shopping and the dislodging of hoarded coins from households. Banks will not charge their personal customers for lodging properly sacheted coinage and supermarkets and other retailers have told the Central Bank that they would welcome their customers giving the correct change when shopping. Further information:
Neil Whoriskey, Press Office: (01) 671 6666; (087) 221 9199.

Re: £30 Million Worth Of Coins Hoarded In Irish Households

How old IS this press release? The values are all in £, for heaven's sake!

do you realise that the CB has warned peole against hoarding coins.

Not exactly a warning either!

And I couldn't think of a worse time for people to be spending all their hoarded up coins than at Christmas?

It's made round to go round!!!!

Keep those coins in circulation - don't hide them away.

[broken link removed]

Why are the banks charging us for changing coins as they should be glad to get them seeing that they are importing coins from Finland.

[broken link removed]

Why are the banks charging us for changing coins as they should be glad to get them seeing that they are importing coins from Finland.

It's the Central Bank importing the coins, not the 'high street' banks.

Hi all,

I've got a large bag of sterling coin, is there any coin machines in any of the shops in the north of ireland?

Hate the 1c and 2c coins - should be withdrawn from use as too small for daily usage.

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't hoard coins? Nearly every large supermarket has self service checkouts which gladly accept squigglies.

I agree not to use those machines in supermarket etc since 10% is a bit much to charge. My boyfriend and I save all our loose change, recently we counted last years and it came to over €1,000. Halifax always give us the coin bags and happily take them to lodge into our account. For the smaller 1 and 2 cent we just separate them and the bank can weigh them and know how much is there.

Back