Big bag of coins

Best option on coins is to sepate the €2, €1, 50c, 20c bag them your self and lodge them to a bank then use the supermarket machines for the smaller coins.

... and after a couple of nights I got to €300 without putting a dent in the pile of coins. ...

... as there is at least €500. ...

so how much was it?... 300 is hardly a dent, yet 500 in total seems reasonable?

I wonder how many 'sachets' he used, when it was all correctly 'sachetted'.. lol, did you see that Central Bank thing... sachetted..

On Tuesday, I put 2*€2 coins into a parking ticket machine, then 2*€2 coins across the counter in PJs pub, Lower Salthill, Galway for a pint, then another 2*€2 coins for another creamy pint.[/QUOTE]

Parking the car and then going for pints?? I hope you didn't go back when the €4 was up on the meter and drive home.

how could anyone accumulate this amount of coins!

Why not simply develop the habit of getting rid of all possible coins on every occasion you buy something? (eg) something is €13.71 - if you can give 3.71 in coins as well as your €20 note, you'll get a €10 note in change (instead of €6.29 in change) AND get rid of at least 7 or 8 coins as well. That reduces your total coins by about 20. Even if you can only get rid of the 1cent - that still saves you 9cents in coins in change. If you do this routinely, the maximum no. of coins it is ever possible to accumulate is about a dozen.

I do it as a form of saving.

I use notes when paying, and when I return home every day I empty my pockets of all coins - putting them into a very large tin that can only be opened using a can opener. I never empty the tin until it is crammed full. Some days I throw notes in too.

I use notes when paying, and when I return home every day I empty my pockets of all coins - putting them into a very large tin that can only be opened using a can opener. I never empty the tin until it is crammed full. Some days I throw notes in too.

I have a 3 Litre vodka bottle for anything less than 50c. Its my January Jar, used for the post-xmas bills. Have a €2 piggy bank that's handy for taxi money if I'm stuck.
My sister has her curry money coffee jar. Its her occasional Friday night treat.

I have a 3 Litre vodka bottle for anything less than 50c. Its my January Jar, used for the post-xmas bills. Have a €2 piggy bank that's handy for taxi money if I'm stuck.
My sister has her curry money coffee jar. Its her occasional Friday night treat.

My boyfriend and I do it as a form of saving as well. Once a year we take all the coins out of the Jameson 4l bottle we save in and count it and use it towards our holiday, last year it was about €1,000. We save the €2 as well in another jar (they don't fit in the Jameson bottle!) and I find them handy if I'm stuck for money also.

Every night I save all the copper coins, also 10, 20, 50, 1 and 2 euro coins which do not have the harp on them. I am doing this for over a year now so I might soon cash them in and see what good purpose I can put them to.

I never get this. Surely if you empty all your change from your wallet every night you need to use a new note every time you're paying for something and therefore you have to have more notes to begin with.

how could anyone accumulate this amount of coins!

Why not simply develop the habit of getting rid of all possible coins on every occasion you buy something? (eg) something is €13.71 - if you can give 3.71 in coins as well as your €20 note, you'll get a €10 note in change (instead of €6.29 in change) AND get rid of at least 7 or 8 coins as well. That reduces your total coins by about 20. Even if you can only get rid of the 1cent - that still saves you 9cents in coins in change. If you do this routinely, the maximum no. of coins it is ever possible to accumulate is about a dozen.

I try to do this, but have found in recent years that some shop assistants (and some customers) are too impatient to allow time to count out the small change. Which is probably why we end up with lots of coins, and the shops cry out for same!

it absolutely mystifies me that people could save as much as €1000 or more and just leave the money lying round the house. i know the banks aren't exactly making themselves popular these days, but come on, they pay you money to deposit your savings with them!!! instead of throwing your change into a jam jar every now and again and then having to take out more money from the bank, only take out the money you actually need and set up a standing order into a savings account. seems like a no brainer to me...

I never get this. Surely if you empty all your change from your wallet every night you need to use a new note every time you're paying for something and therefore you have to have more notes to begin with.

Exactly :D New note broken = more coin change. More Coins = more in money tin. More in Money tin = secret mystery savings :D

I'm such a saddo, 23 and excited at the prospect of "mystery savings"!!!

I don't know if it is still there as it is 7 years since I lived in Ballsbridge but there used to be a coin machine in AIB's HQ. It was in reception. You just entered your current account details and then started pouring the coin. The money would then lodge directly to your account without any fee.

The machines in Tesco are 9.9% to use if you want to get the coins in cash but no charge if you redeem the coins against your shopping in Tesco.

it absolutely mystifies me that people could save as much as €1000 or more and just leave the money lying round the house. i know the banks aren't exactly making themselves popular these days, but come on, they pay you money to deposit your savings with them!!! ..

Banks want the €1,000, just not 10c at a time:D

Apropos of this from the SBP
[broken link removed]

It could be the ultimate measure of how bad things got in the recession - the state has lost money by making money.

The Central Bank was forced to withdraw almost €23 million worth of coins from circulation last year, resulting in a €30 million hit to the exchequer.

The withdrawal was as a result of a sharp fall in demand for coins because of the recession.

The economic slump also resulted in more people raiding their coin jars, further reducing the need for newly-issued coins. ‘‘This [withdrawal] was largely due to a fall-off in demand for smaller denomination coin and may reflect a reduction in hoarding of such coins as economic activity weakened," according to the Central Bank.

Cash businesses, such as shops and pubs, needed lower stocks of coins as the recession resulted in fewer transactions, while the banks opted to return their surplus coins to the Central Bank instead of incurring substantial storage costs.

This resulted in the Central Bank seeking a reimbursement of €30million in profit that had been given to the exchequer in 2008 from the issue of new coins.

The bank earns a profit on the difference between the face value of a coin and the cost of producing it, and any profits arising from the issuing of coins are transferred to the exchequer.

The volume of coins issued has fallen from a high of 446 million coins in 2007 to 284 million in 2008 and 112million last year.

I counted 689euro in all coins took just two evenings after work . My boyfriend saved it over a couple of years in a big plastic carlsberg bottle. Will count all your change for 50eur if u want ha.
Anyway got bags from ulster bank . no problem them taking em no charge once you have account with ulster bank.

And now we are spending the money to go on holiday .

Cannot wait,.
Gud luk with your count :)

i purl all coins into a sma baby food tin. manage to fill it twice a year. usually get between 600-800 euro. great way to save. anyway I usually get my 8yo son to help sort. he loves doing it. i sort all the 2,1,50c,20, 10,5 coins into bags. the 2 and 1c and any other coins that cannot make a full bag i tip into the tesco machine. do not mind paying commision on what i call the dust. never had an issue with BOI lodging it into by personal a/c.

Back